USA Politics

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
It is not unusual for me to be mind boggled by Republicans, but the past couple weeks have really left me scratching my head over what the GOP strategy is going into 2022.

In Florida, Governor DeSantis is making himself the face of COVID denial in the US. Not only is he avoiding putting any restrictions in place to slow the spread, he’s actively getting in the way of progress with failed attempts to ban schools from imposing mask mandates. Avoiding lockdowns and restrictions is one thing and par for the course for a conservator, but the overreach into school systems is a special kind of draconian.

Meanwhile in Texas, Governor Abbott signed one of the biggest abortion restrictions ever, making it virtually impossible to get an abortion and encouraging vigilante justice by incentivizing people to report those who violate the law. Again, Republicans have flirted with authoritarianism but this seems like a new step.

I am a bit surprised that this is the direction that prominent republicans are deciding to take. These last few weeks have been brutal for Biden, between covid spikes and the bungling of Afghanistan he’s especially weak right now. Thanks to the two actions above, the conversation has turned away from Afghanistan and into COVID and abortion, two issues where the GOP tends to be unpopular especially in the suburbs. It’s super early, but I am not sure if those are the issues you want to be running on as a republican next year. it has also given Biden the perfect opportunity to pivot to an area where he does better.

There were a lot of signs of things to come around this time in 2017. Between the issues above and two elections that aren’t looking good for GOP (California recall and Virginia gubernatorial election), it could be a disappointing midterm for republicans next year.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I think giving Biden an opportunity to use the bully pulpit to go after the unvaccinated was, uh, not smart by Republicans. He was angry, and I think a lot of people feel the same. It's going to be really, really interesting.

But I am more glad than ever that I live in Canada, lemme tell you what.

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
On the ground, I have noticed that anger being shared by a lot of middle aged white women, the sort of culturally conservative leaning people who Trump pissed off into staying home in 2018 and 2020. The race to out-Trump Trump seems foolish, to say the least.

Zare

Uniformly distributed hostility
I've read that Texas wants to forbid "social media" from banning users over "political views".
Insane shit. What are going to do, tell ISPs to block f.e. Whatsapp for not complying?

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
It is not unusual for me to be mind boggled by Republicans, but the past couple weeks have really left me scratching my head over what the GOP strategy is going into 2022.

I don't watch Bill Maher, don't dig his "humor" (or lack thereof), for example this clip. Don't care for the "jokes," but he makes a good point about the GOPs problem having to please constituents and keeping their cushy jobs:

Spaldy

Ancient Mariner

In Florida, Governor DeSantis is making himself the face of COVID denial in the US. Not only is he avoiding putting any restrictions in place to slow the spread, he’s actively getting in the way of progress with failed attempts to ban schools from imposing mask mandates. Avoiding lockdowns and restrictions is one thing and par for the course for a conservator, but the overreach into school systems is a special kind of draconian.

Meanwhile in Texas, Governor Abbott signed one of the biggest abortion restrictions ever, making it virtually impossible to get an abortion and encouraging vigilante justice by incentivizing people to report those who violate the law. Again, Republicans have flirted with authoritarianism but this seems like a new step.

I am a bit surprised that this is the direction that prominent republicans are deciding to take. These last few weeks have been brutal for Biden, between covid spikes and the bungling of Afghanistan he’s especially weak right now. Thanks to the two actions above, the conversation has turned away from Afghanistan and into COVID and abortion, two issues where the GOP tends to be unpopular especially in the suburbs. It’s super early, but I am not sure if those are the issues you want to be running on as a republican next year. it has also given Biden the perfect opportunity to pivot to an area where he does better.

There were a lot of signs of things to come around this time in 2017. Between the issues above and two elections that aren’t looking good for GOP (California recall and Virginia gubernatorial election), it could be a disappointing midterm for republicans next year.
The GOP are learning a lot of lessons from Afghanistan. Particularly in how to effectively regress women's rights. Governor Abbott's Texas Taliban won't stop at abortions though. That was just them testing the waters.

Next they'll be asking "should women really be allowed in colleges?" or "can a woman divorce her husband without his permission?" and "can we make rape legal?"

Give them a few more years of unchecked power and it'll be back to segregation. And I really do mean unchecked since Texas will never vote blue and the supreme court is utterly corrupt.