USA Politics

He's condemning Iran for executing three people arrested during protests.

anyone else having a bit of a shift in their political views/ideology since the pandemic hit critical mass?

I have always been on the left side of the political spectrum and the current crisis and the constant cock-ups from the Tories in the UK have reaffirmed my views even more.

That being said, it seems that Trump has done things even worse than the Tories...

Why is this in the US politics thread?
I mean, since we don't have a general politics thread, it makes as much sense as posting it anywhere else.

anyone else having a bit of a shift in their political views/ideology since the pandemic hit critical mass?
Not...really? I'm Canadian, so I'm sitting in a lovely case study of "respect for science" versus "belief that science is a political game". In the end, that's what we're seeing here. I think there's a bit of "economy is more important than people" but even the basest politician will admit that dead people can't vote for them, so I think the reaction in the USA is mostly anti-science than anything.

It's interesting that "ideology" seems to be a term with such a neutral connotation in the US these days. I always felt it is a negative term and you should try to disassociate yourself with anything described that way.
I thought not having an ideology was in and of itself an ideology.

Ideaology is a neutral term. It just means your system of beliefs and values. Everyone has one, whether they want to admit it or not.

That's what I mean. It seems to be one of those political terms that takes on a completely different meaning in the US than in Europe. Here, the term describes a closed system of political, social and sometimes religious beliefs that is uncompromising and intolerant of other ideas. If somebody uses the term in a modern political context, it is always as a derogatory term against a political opponent, to indicate they are bigoted and irrational. Fascism and Communism are ideologies, and if you are saying a politician is following an ideology or doing things for ideological reasons, you basically mean they are promoting totalitarian mindset.

That's what I mean. It seems to be one of those political terms that takes on a completely different meaning in the US than in Europe. Here, the term describes a closed system of political, social and sometimes religious beliefs that is uncompromising and intolerant of other ideas. If somebody uses the term in a modern political context, it is always as a derogatory term against a political opponent, to indicate they are bigoted and irrational. Fascism and Communism are ideologies, and if you are saying a politician is following an ideology or doing things for ideological reasons, you basically mean they are promoting totalitarian mindset.

I beg to differ. Is an anti-fascist ideology unacceptable then?

You don't need an ideology to be anti-fascist.

Not if you use the term to describe a set of beliefs that characterises an individual according to the Oxford Dictionary.

I am proud to have an anti-fascist ideology and cannot be further away from promoting totalitarian mindsets.

Well, maybe it's a difference in English and German, then. To me, ideology is strictly an totalitarian concept and a word with highly negative connotation.

here in the states (at least within my sphere of influence and social networks), asking about one's ideology is a more friendly way of asking "what party do you vote for/belong to?" -- by asking what one's ideology is, it allows the person questioned to respond in a more nuanced way than simply by asking which "party" they support.

Back