USA Politics

Beto has to run. I don’t think he wins but he has too much star power and fundraising abilities to squander that opportunity. He probably has a good shot at being part of the next Democrat administration regardless.

Depends on if he wants to follow in the footsteps of fellow West Virginian Robert Byrd...at which point Manchin has about 5 more races in him!

A minor congressman has already announced for the Dems.

You mean like Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, and John Hickenlooper have been doing? ;) Gillibrand has said she's out, who knows if that's true.

I think Beto tosses his hat in the ring as well, quick. He's sitting on mountains of cash still.

God, I hope not (Manchin) .. at some point call it a day.

I would not be shocked if 20+ Dems (legit office holders) ran next time .. there is no really clear favorite and it seems unlikely one will emerge before then.

Beto has to run. I don’t think he wins but he has too much star power and fundraising abilities to squander that opportunity. He probably has a good shot at being part of the next Democrat administration regardless.

It would be surprising if he did not ... it is either President or take another shot at the Senate ... and he will probably have a harder time against Cornyn (who is liked much more than Cruz statewide)

I'm looking forward to Trump live tweeting the entire race for the Democrat nomination, and for the nicknames he'll give each candidate. Elizabeth Warren is already "Pocahontas". ::)

I saw that there are Native Americans in Congress for the first time ever. I'm surprised that they don't have some sort of protected status in Congress so that there are always a small number of the indigenous population to be heard at Washington.

I saw that there are Native Americans in Congress for the first time ever. I'm surprised that they don't have some sort of protected status in Congress so that there are always a small number of the indigenous population to be heard at Washington.
Yeah, that'd never happen.

Nor should it
There's good arguments for and against the idea of welcoming Native American representation to Congress. Lots of countries do similar and they don't fall apart. The big problem with doing it in the US is it would be seen as a slippery slope for other populations.

I know. ::) Is Canada nicer to its indigenous population?
As in, do we set aside legislative seats for First Nations representation? No. Are we nicer? Sometimes.

There's good arguments for and against the idea of welcoming Native American representation to Congress. Lots of countries do similar and they don't fall apart. The big problem with doing it in the US is it would be seen as a slippery slope for other populations.

As in, do we set aside legislative seats for First Nations representation? No. Are we nicer? Sometimes.

Welcome it sure, make sure they can run for office if they want ... sure ... Ensuring an outcome .. no. Because like you said, how do you carve that up with every demographic that would want the same ... not to mention you are really limiting the choice of people to choose who represents them. I think that would be a horrible idea all around.

Even we have designated spots for minorities in the parliament, surprised that the USA doesn't have something like that.

Welcome it sure, make sure they can run for office if they want ... sure ... Ensuring an outcome .. no. Because like you said, how do you carve that up with every demographic that would want the same ... not to mention you are really limiting the choice of people to choose who represents them. I think that would be a horrible idea all around.
In systems like New Zealand, they constitutionally recognize the native populations as a contingent nation of the country and they are thus entitled to X representation, same with the Sami in Sweden. Those groups are homogeneous though - whereas Native American populations certainly are not.

You would have to draw districts around a reservation. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea.

You would have to draw districts around a reservation. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea.

Sure .. but do any have anywhere near the population (and only in one state) to come even close to the population needed for a district?

You could also approach it like an at large election. The Native Population of, say, North Dakota, would vote for a single representative. Considering the size of the House it would be a small but meaningful gesture.

You could also approach it like an at large election. The Native Population of, say, North Dakota, would vote for a single representative. Considering the size of the House it would be a small but meaningful gesture.

But North Dakota only has one House seat .. which state do you want to take it from?

I just think it is a bad idea to say demographic 'X' .. whatever 'X' is gets its own "district"

Back