USA Politics

azXp2Xj_460s.jpg

Yes, I was aware of that. For many Americans, that is a feature and not a bug, I believe, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/20/prison-labor-protest-america-jailhouse-lawyers-speak

Did you know that these two million people are slaves under the constitution of the US? That's why they can run prisons with 4 cent / hour wage, legally they can force these people to do anything.
Not entirely true -- there's no constitutional protection against it, but states are free to regulate as they see fit. And in states that have compulsory prison labor, generally the worst repercussion if you refuse is that you get put in solitary confinement and it might negatively impact your chances at parole. So if you're willing to serve your full sentence in solitary, even in the more aggressive states you could serve your entire sentence without working.

Also, a counterpoint op-ed from a former inmate: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-bozelko-prison-labor-20171020-story.html

solitary confinement
Modern studies suggest solitary confinement is a form of torture, and most western nations are moving to either outlaw it or limit its use (IE, protective only). So when you are in for 30 years, it's not really an option for most people.

Not to derail the topic but solitary confinement is what I think should replace death penalty. I'd argue it's a harsher punishment than death penalty because death penalty is instant, but it allows you retain the possibility of reinstatement if it turns out to be a miscarriage of justice.

Michael Cohen is Donald Trump's former personal lawyer, who just admitted in court that he violated campaign finance rules on the behest of the president to pay off various women Mr. Trump fucked before he was elected to office, whilst otherwise in a marriage.

I feel like everyone is forgetting that if Donnie is impeached, Mike Pence will take his place. Did that dude do anything of note, both good and bad, since he came into VP office?

I think it's more that nobody is really entertaining the idea of him actually being removed from office. The furthest I see this going is impeachment by a house controlled by Democrats and acquittal by the Senate.

Back