USA Politics

Are there any right wing conservative republicans on here who are for Trump or is this forum mostly made up of liberal members and republicans who are against him?

No and yes.

I would say that most (active) members here are not from the United States and thus have a broader sense of Trump than those of us who live here. I cannot even imagine what we look like to an outside observer.

Regardless of his politics (which could change overnight if the money were right) I don’t understand how anyone can support Trump as a human being or, more importantly, as any kind of leader.

Ya, I guess. And other topics such as abortion and gay marriage are mostly supported on here so that answers my question on where most members stand on politics. Either way, it's all good and I shouldn't concern myself too much with it. :)

Well I think foreigners are naturally going to focus on foreign policy issues, which is arguably where Trump is most controversial (pissing off as many countries as possible seems to be his goal).

Trump is a liar, hypocrite, and incompetent. No amount of "political balance" on this forum is going to change that.

I'm not liberal or republican. And I'm not even sure how to reflect the latter in the European context.

A friend of mine told me long ago there is no such thing as a liberal in the U.S. Both parties are conservative in different ways. One wants big government to rule your private life and the other one wants big government to rule your public life, but they both want big government which is NOT a "liberal" ideal in the classical sense. As John Stewart once told Bill O'Reilly, they're debating what shade of red they are.

If you ask me, problem lies in rigidness of the government employer program, worldwide. People working for public services or govt directly tend to have a lot more job security than basically anyone else. I don't say that they don't need to, but the consequence is inability to deregulate anything. Try to deregulate a particular piece of market, you need to lay off people from those agency that can't be easily retrained for something else.

Therefore governments introduce regulation just by the power of stamp, but deregulation comes at a high price. So all flexibility is lost. Leads to inflated bureocracies. It can't lead to dynamism needed to follow modern markets with proper regulation and deregulation as the markets grow.

That's my 2 cents on the liberal shit.

Politics in the United States is skewed more to the right compared to Europe. Bernie Sanders would be considered a regular centre-left politician in Europe, but was considered radical left by some people in the United States. Conservative Party of the U.K. or Christian Democrats of Germany are clearly more to the center than the Republican Party is. So I'd say identification depends on the context.

Not a huge fan of identification, really, because any identification comes with a bag of ideas attached to it and it's very possible for someone to have a contrary stance on a matter in that bag.

Well I think foreigners are naturally going to focus on foreign policy issues, which is arguably where Trump is most controversial (pissing off as many countries as possible seems to be his goal).

This is correct in most cases, but with Trump, his idiocy and compulsive lying is enough for sensible people to dislike him, even before getting into his policies. Hillary Clinton, for example, was a good case for what you said, my disdain for her as a candidate was directly related to her role in foreign policies undertaken in the Middle East.

Well about the same, and that's the problem - one or the other, they're pretty reckless

Edit : in that regard, foreign policy.

25995082_879167658923652_8290031073730826561_n.jpg

1968 Presidential Campaign Button. 'To lick' means 'to defeat' and 'dick' is short for 'Richard'. So the message was 'You can't defeat the Republican candidate, Richard Nixon.'

Politics in the United States is skewed more to the right compared to Europe. Bernie Sanders would be considered a regular centre-left politician in Europe, but was considered radical left by some people in the United States. Conservative Party of the U.K. or Christian Democrats of Germany are clearly more to the center than the Republican Party is. So I'd say identification depends on the context.
I actually heard an American guy say a few years ago that Obama is a Tory. Not in a negative sense, but just in the sense of comparing him to UK politicians. The British Conservative Party have members that range from close-ish to the "centre" of the political spectrum (e.g. Ruth Davidson, Scottish Conservative leader) to those who have more traditional Conservative values (e.g. Jacob Rees Mogg, backbench lunatic). That party basically takes in most of mainstream US politics without some of the extremes. The US Democratic Party get referred to as "the left" by Donald Trump, but they're only "the left" in a US sense. I can't imagine Hilary Clinton being part of the UK Labour Party, even Tony Blair's New Labour.

RE: Trump, I think he is a first class jackass and I do not really like him ... I disliked Hillary about the same if not more ... as I think I said during the election, it was a horrible choice between the two of them and 2020 is not really shaping up an better

That said ... I think his Supreme Court pick was good, I am generally in favor of his deregulation efforts, and the tax bill (while it could have been a lot better) is a net positive.

and the tax bill (while it could have been a lot better) is a net positive.
I'm concerned about the tax bill - it seems to add a lot of money to the debt/deficit, and most individual tax cuts are set to expire. Difficult to cut US taxes any further without really cutting either the military or social services to the quick, the former of which is never likely to happen and the latter of which would either hurt medicare or end social security, or both.

The problem is a lack of spending control that is pretty equal among either party . both of whom are unwilling to reform very old programs if it is "their" program

The individual cuts will most likely be renewed .. no one wants the "raised taxes" ads running against them.

What I had hoped for was more of an emphasis on simplification .. lower rates, few (if any) deductions.

Back