USA Politics

Apparently Trump is struggling to find singers to perform at his inauguration ceremony - I mean who the hell would want to? But Rebecca Ferguson, a British singer, who I think got famous from the X-Factor, has been invited and has "graciously accepted" the invite on the condition that she can perform a song called 'Strange Fruit' by Billie Holiday. This song was apparently blacklisted in the US. These are the lyrics:

Southern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant south
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop

I can't see them letting that one through. However, I'm pretty sure Dave Mustaine and Jon Schaffer would happily play at Trump's inauguration.

It seems like it was Ms. Ferguson herself that confused the two, then.

Anyway: it would be fun to see the reactions from the more Nationalist part of Trump's fanbase if she did perform it :D

I have nearly zero hopes of this getting the votes it needs, but it would be nice

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) are pushing for an amendment to the Constitution to place term limits on lawmakers, arguing the move will help overhaul Washington.

"The American people resoundingly agreed on Election Day, and President-elect Donald Trump has committed to putting government back to work for the American people," Cruz said in a statement on Tuesday. "It is well past time to put an end to the cronyism and deceit that has transformed Washington into a graveyard of good intentions."

Under an amendment the two GOP lawmakers filed on Tuesday, House members would be allowed to serve three two-year terms and senators would be able to serve two six-year terms.

DeSantis added that the measure would be a "first step toward reforming Capitol Hill."

GOP Sens. Deb Fischer (Neb.), Ron Johnson (Wis.), Thom Tillis (N.C.), Marco Rubio (Fla.), Mike Lee (Utah) and David Perdue (Ga.) are backing the proposal. Cruz and DeSantis previously pledged in a Washington Post op-ed to introduce the measure this year.

According to the resolution, any congressional term before the amendment becomes law wouldn't be taken into account when determining if a lawmaker can run for reelection or not.

Trump backed term limits during his White House run, but the measure could face an uphill battle in Congress.

Neither House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who has said he supports term limits, nor Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has signaled it could come up for a vote.

McConnell appeared to shut down Trump's push after the election, telling reporters, "We have term limits - they're called elections."

In addition to clearing Congress, the Cruz-DeSantis proposal would also need to be ratified by three-fourths of state legislatures before going into effect.

Some people really like their senators and want to keep them. I think the problem is people don't understand why term limits are there in the first place. Unlimited terms for senators doesn't threaten a democracy the way it would for a governor or president.

It's also legislation that has no chance of passing so even attempting it is a waste of time/money. If you want to drain the swamp. go vote in the senate elections.

Yeah, it has not chance of passing, last thing these guys would want to do is force themselves to get actual jobs. But worth a shot, of the insanely long list of wastes of time/money, this would be pretty low on the list .. not sure what they money is beyond printing it out.

A busy few weeks ahead for confirmation hearings

Jan 9

Position: Housing and Urban Development secretary
Nominee: Ben Carson
Background: Retired neurosurgeon, former GOP primary rival
Committee: Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs
Confirmation Hearings: Sen. Mike Crapo is planning to hold a hearing next week

I disagree with Carson on some things, on the other hand clearly a smart guy with a good life story. Not my favorite pick by Trump .. but it is HUD .. so not a major post

Position: Attorney general
Nominee: Sen. Jeff Sessions
Background: Alabama Republican Congressman
Committee: Senate Judiciary
Confirmation Hearings: Jan. 10 and 11

My least favorite selection, he is qualified for the position, but a little too much drug warrior-y/old school law and order for me. The criticisms of him will be on something he may or may not have said in the 1980s .. which really means little now, which is too bad, there are legit reasons to oppose him, but he will get by on a real close vote .. thanks Harry Reid!

Position: Education secretary
Nominee: Betsy DeVos
Background: Billionaire, philanthropist, Republican megadonor
Committee: Senate HELP
Confirmation hearings: Jan. 11 at 10 a.m. in 430 Dirksen

One of my favorite picks, she is perfect for this post

Position: Transportation secretary
Nominee: Elaine Chao
Background: Former Labor Secretary under the George W. Bush administration, deputy secretary of transportation under President George H.W. Bush, member of Trump’s Asian Pacific American Advisory Council for the campaign, married to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)
Committee: Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation
Confirmation Hearings: Jan. 11 10:15 a.m. in Senate Russell, Room 253.

Not an overly inspiring pick, I am sure she can handle the job though, should be one of the easiest confirmations

Position: Homeland Security secretary
Nominee: John Kelly
Background: Retired Marine general, former U.S. Southern Command chief
Committee: Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Confirmation hearings: Jan. 11 at 2 p.m. in SD-342 Dirksen

I really do not think this post should exist, but it does and he should be fine. Though I will be interested to hear what he has to say about the NSA

Position: Secretary of State
Nominee: Rex Tillerson
Background: CEO of Exxon Mobil
Committee: Senate Foreign Relations
Confirmation Hearings: Jan. 11

Good pick, there will be bitching about his prior employer, but he should sail through easily

Position: Commerce secretary
Nominee: Wilbur Ross
Background: Billionaire private-equity investor, founder of the private equity firm WL Ross & Co.
Committee: Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation
Confirmation Hearings: Jan. 12 at 10:00 a.m

I am not overly familiar with him, but his background seems on point for the job

Position: Labor secretary
Nominee: Andy Puzder
Background: CEO of CKE Restaurants, which include the Carl’s Jr. fast food chain
Committee: Senate HELP
Confirmation Hearings: The week of Jan. 16

See above, on the surface seems qualified and I like the Western Bacon Cheeseburger at Carl's Jr.

Position: Health and Human Services secretary
Nominee: Rep. Tom Price
Background: Georgia Republican Congressman, House Budget Chairman
Committee: Senate Finance
Confirmation Hearings: TBD, the HELP Committee is tentatively set to hold a confirmation hearing on Jan. 18. This is a courtesy.

Obamacare repeal/replace is moving forward, he knows his stuff in that area.

Position: Treasury secretary
Nominee: Steven Mnuchin
Background: Former Goldman Sachs executive, Trump’s national finance chair for the campaign
Confirmation Hearings: TBD

Again, seems qualified for the position, not too familiar with him

Position: Secretary of Defense
Nominee: James Mattis
Background: Retired U.S. Marine Corps general
Committee: Senate Armed Services
Confirmation Hearings: TBD

I like this pick, he changed Trump's mind on torture ... seems well respected by the military.

Position: Interior Secretary
Nominee: Rep. Ryan Zinke
Background: Montana Republican Congressman, former U.S. Navy SEAL commander
Committee: Senate Energy and Natural Resources

Need to read up more on him

Position: Energy Secretary
Nominee: Rick Perry
Background: Former governor of Texas
Committee: Senate Energy and Natural Resources
Confirmation hearing: TBD

His claim to fame is the oops moment, but he was a good governor here for a number of years in a big energy state.

Position: Environmental Protection Agency administrator
Nominee: Scott Pruitt
Background: Oklahoma Attorney General
Committee: Senate Environment and Public Works

A few red state Dems have said they like him, seems he will get nominated pretty easily

Position: Ambassador to the United Nations
Nominee: Nikki Haley
Background: Governor of South Carolina
Committee: Senate Foreign Relations
Confirmation hearings: TBD

I would prefer her as the first woman President of the US .. this seems to brandish her foreign affairs credentials. Should be an easy pass

Position: Director of the Office of Management and Budget
Nominee: Rep. Mick Mulvaney
Background: South Carolina Republican Congressman
Committee: Senate Budget and Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Confirmation hearings: TBD

Need to read up on him

Position: U.S. trade representative
Nominee: Robert Lighthizer
Background: Trade attorney, former deputy USTR under President Ronald Reagan

One of the better picks, he will get through the Senate easily

Surprised this wasn't covered, but the recent kidnapping of a mentally disabled individual at the hands of black supremacists made me retch. These people are doing nothing but contributing to Trump's popularity, and Black Lives Matter, as a collective, need to be less heavy-handed in their ambition.

Surprised this wasn't covered, but the recent kidnapping of a mentally disabled individual at the hands of black supremacists made me retch. These people are doing nothing but contributing to Trump's popularity, and Black Lives Matter, as a collective, need to be less heavy-handed in their ambition.
I saw a few clips on the news and that was plenty. Just disgusting. They should be locked up for a very long time

So Trump, just days away from being inaugurated has taken to insulting the acting capability of Meryl Streep.

There are just zero fucking words to describe this level of stupidity.

Only saw a couple of her movies; I don't doubt she's a great actress, but don't remember ever being interested in one of her movies.

I mean... Sad!

So Trump, just days away from being inaugurated has taken to insulting the acting capability of Meryl Streep.

There are just zero fucking words to describe this level of stupidity.

To be fair I think it was in response to her attack on him. But once again he resorted to character assassination of a critic (or indeed anyone or anything that doesn't fit the picture he paints) instead of responding to what she said.

To be fair I think it was in response to her attack on him. But once again he resorted to character assassination of a critic (or indeed anyone or anything that doesn't fit the picture he paints) instead of responding to what she said.

I'd be more accepting of it if he wasn't in a position of such magnanimity as the US president.

Back