USA Politics

We have a bit of different perspective here, I'm interested in net neutrality and digital rights, and similar global stuff that America as a leader in the field dictates while others, more or less, follow. That effects me directly.
Cruz is notorious for being a net neutrality opponent. I'd have a good talk with him, in a dark soundproof room, just for that matter alone.

I also know that he's promising to cut down some of law-provided benefits that big business has. So I guess from your perspective he might do something meaningful.
From my, hell no.

That's fair, really in the end, people will vote or support their interests .. which vary from person to person and certainly place to place

cVBjwj6.jpg

Happens.

Curious now what will happen in NH. If Trump wins big there, he has a good chance to get his train rolling again.

Trump and Sanders are both huge favorites in NH, if by chance either of them loses, they are toast. But, they should both win.

Rand Paul is out, becoming the second Republican after Mike Huckabee to abort following Iowa.

Santorum is still in it. As is Jim Gilmore, who got 12 votes in Iowa. I wasn't even running, and Jim Gilmore only beat me by 12.

Too bad about Paul, he was easily the best of the bunch. Santorum said he was staying in through South Carolina .. why I am not sure. "Other" also beat Gilmore in Iowa

Martin O'Malley also finally realized he has zero chance of winning the primaries and dropped out on the Democratic side, leaving just two very old people.

I like Rand Paul on many foreign policy issues - he probably would be the best president to manage the US military down a bit in size, and his foreign policies would likely be OK. He seems to remember that treaties are as powerful as the US constitution, which nobody else running seems to ever remember. Internally, not a fan - because it is my firm believe that non-interventionist market policies don't work.

I love how he was asked to name a thing Rubio did, and he couldn't name anything of substance. Then promptly blamed Obama, who, at least, has done something over the last four years - even if it is things conservatives dislike.

You can say Rubio's list of things done (or really that of any first term Senator who did not hold another major office before) would be about the same as Obama's was when he ran for President. The trend seems to be towards younger and outsider versus experienced/insider .. which is a problem Hillary is running into

You can say Rubio's list of things done (or really that of any first term Senator who did not hold another major office before) would be about the same as Obama's was when he ran for President.
True, very true.

which is a problem Hillary is running into
Absolutely. The problem is that the longer you're in politics, the more time you have to fuck something up. Jeb is hitting this problem too, although admittedly, a lot of it is what his brother fucked up (and what didn't he fuck up). Hillary has her emails, of course, and a few other things, but mostly people just don't like her because she's Hillary.

What is odd about Hillary it is not so much "she has a long record of votes" that she can be hit with but it is all pretty self inflicted. Her trust rating are very low and are still sinking ... the message does not go over well when a lot of the population think you lie every time you open your mouth. If she wants to be elected , she needs to overcome that .. which will be hard. She does not have Bill's charm. Add to that, Hillary's State Department tenure is not looking as good now as it did a few years ago. Add to that, Bernie pulling her further left and her numbers with younger liberal voters are shit. They are not going to vote GOP, but they just might not vote.

All this to say, Hillary is still going to win the nomination .. but she is no shoe in in the general election.

I think Hillary is getting a bit of an unfair treatment, but suffice to say, she is very disliked amongst the ultra-conservatives and ultra-progressives. She was a fine secretary of state - though John Kerry has surpassed her in many ways to become the best SOS of our time, it would seem - but her emails will haunt her for, like, ever. What a stupid call that was.

Her baggage starts before she even ran for office, which really hurts her, as the architect of Hillarycare (which, interestingly enough, most ultra-progressives would greatly prefer to Obamacare), and as part of the Clinton family in general. So yeah, I really don't know. I think she'd be a pretty OK president. She's no TR or FDR - or even Ike - but acceptable. As good as any candidate the GOP has offered in the last 20 years, excepting, of course, Romney, who I think had the tools to be a better-than-average president.

The dislike for her goes beyond the party wings ... she is just not a likable person and gets less likable when she tries to "relate" to people. The dead broke comments, the "I am just like your average Mexican Grandmother" deal, etc.

Well, she isn't a common person. Which is fine for me, I don't need my politicians to be relatable. Unfortunately, lots of people do.

I am with you there, ironically it was Bill and the "I feel your pain", etc that started the "I want a President that I would like to sit down and have a beer with movement" I'd rather have someone competent that I agree with on issues

Reagan did a lot of that too. He had that gift, to make anyone feel like they were on the same level as Ronnie - that's one of the reasons they called him the Great Communicator. Before him, Jimmy Carter was an affiable sort, but Nixon, LBJ, Ike, they were not very affiable people.

Of course, TR was a super celebrity when he ran for office, so it might go back further than we think.

I never got the "regular guy" vibe from Reagan. He, and of course everybody, has some degree of that. He certainly had a good sense of humor and that game across.

But I think he struck a more grandfatherly kind of figure versus a "let's hang out" type of vibe. I was a little young for Carter, but I think he still had the mold of "I am the President" when he was President and his image softened after he left office. TR may or may not have had that, but the communications were so vastly different (really even Reagan and Carter) than they are now.

Back