USA Politics

Yawn... another day, another case of police brutality. The ones who did it? On paid administratie leave.

"It does not appear to be in line with our policies and procedures." :lol:

Shame on the IRS for going after a destitute family like the Clintons

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/239821-clinton-foundation-reportedly-refiling-tax-forms

----------------------------
The Clinton Foundation will redo a number of tax returns and audit others after Reuters found that it had inadequately disclosed donations from foreign governments, the news service reported Thursday

The foundation had claimed that it received no foreign donations from 2010 to 2013, but Reuters reported that “several foreign governments continued to give tens of millions of dollars toward the foundation's work on climate change and economic development through this three-year period.”

While those donors had been listed in other ways, the donations had not been disclosed to the Internal Revenue Service.

“We are prioritizing an external review to ensure the accuracy of the 990s from 2010, 2011 and 2012 and expect to refile when the review is completed," Craig Minassian, a foundation spokesman, told Reuters, adding that the foundation has gone to great lengths to provide more transparency than legally required. Nonprofits must file 990 forms with the IRS to ensure they still qualify for tax-free status.

The news comes as Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the presidency continues to push back allegations that foundation donations may have influenced her conduct as secretary of State. Many of the recent allegations stem from the book Clinton Cash by Peter Schweizer, which the campaign and its allies are panning as a political hit job.

The New York Times reported Thursday that Clinton’s agency had signed off on a deal that gave a Russian energy agency control of a mining company with significant assets in the United States as stakeholders in the deal sent millions of dollars in donations to the Clinton Foundation. The Times based the story off an advanced look at Schweizer’s book, which it augmented with its own reporting.

Clinton campaign spokesman Brian Fallon denied any quid pro quo agreement in a statement to the Times.

“[No one] has ever produced a shred of evidence supporting the theory that Hillary Clinton ever took action as secretary of state to support the interests of donors to the Clinton Foundation,” he said.

“To suggest the State Department, under then-Secretary Clinton, exerted undue influence in the U.S. government’s review of the sale of Uranium One is utterly baseless.”

while Louisiana is the murder capital (per capita, of course).

For states, yes. DC however has a rate of 13.90 (it's very small so hard to see). I would assume that if there were other states or districts reduced to one city, they would look similar. But Louisiana is still quite a breakout.

For states, yes. DC however has a rate of 13.90 (it's very small so hard to see). I would assume that if there were other states or districts reduced to one city, they would look similar. But Louisiana is still quite a breakout.

Louisiana has multitudes of areas you would not want to step foot it ...

Louisiana has multitudes of areas you would not want to step foot it ...

I'm willing to believe that, but I still can't help but wonder how a state with a population of barely five million can boast an incarceration rate twenty times as high as Germany.

Or, to use absolute numbers: Louisiana, a state of 5 million, has 40 000 prisoners. Germany, a country of 80 million, has 60 000. There's something wrong there.

Last edited:
I'm willing to believe that, but I still can't help but wonder how a state with a population of barely five million can boast an incarceration rate twenty times as high as Germany.

Or, to use absolute numbers: Louisiana, a state of 5 million, has 40 000 prisoners. Germany, a country of 80 million, has 60 000. There's something wrong there.

No doubt there is, there are serious problems with US laws, many of which I think started with good intentions (keep kids off drugs, keep people safe, etc), but it has gotten way out of hand and is causing much more harm than good at this point. The system has had common sense drained from it at a rapid pace.

The system has had common sense drained from it at a rapid pace.

That's the key problem here. I did some reading on the topic, and it appears that a contributing factor to the situation in Louisiana is the large number of for-profit prisons there. Now, I can see the rationale behind having private prisons, especially in a country that has a strong small-government and low-tax sentiment in its population. But I think that for-profit prisons is an idea where the the risk of potential abuse is just too big. It's understandable that the US population doesn't want to pay upwards of 40 billion dollars each year for the penitentiary system. But wouldn't the natural step be an effort to reduce the number of prisoners in the country?

That's the key problem here. I did some reading on the topic, and it appears that a contributing factor to the situation in Louisiana is the large number of for-profit prisons there. Now, I can see the rationale behind having private prisons, especially in a country that has a strong small-government and low-tax sentiment in its population. But I think that for-profit prisons is an idea where the the risk of potential abuse is just too big. It's understandable that the US population doesn't want to pay upwards of 40 billion dollars each year for the penitentiary system. But wouldn't the natural step be an effort to reduce the number of prisoners in the country?

I have heard that as well, but if you look at a state like California, that has 0 for profit prisons (but a very powerful prison guards union, there is an article floating around somewhere showing how you can make more money as a prison guard in California than with a degree from Harvard), you'll see a similar growth in prisoner population.

I think for profit prisons are a very small part of the picture nationwide, over regulation of everything is a primary cause .. added to an overly litigious society to start with

I agree with you basically, but there's one aspect I'd like to add. Compare Louisiana and California for their population structure. CA has an urban population of 95%, the highest of any state. LA only has 73.20%. CA has massive urban centres such as the entire southwestern Pacific area, the Bay Area and Sacramento. LA only has two major cities, and the whole New Orleans metro area has under 1.5 million people. It's obvious that major urban areas also have a higher crime rate, so a rising prison population is to be expected in any case. I'm not saying for-profit prisons in LA are the only reason for the exorbitant incarceration rate, but it may be a contributing factor.

There's another part too - the tough on crime mentality needed to be elected in many areas to positions such as legislator or local judge.

Back