USA Politics

Raising a child in intitutions you are talking about is something that is not tolerated where I live. Orphanages are rare in Western Europe. I can only hope such matters will also change for the better in Eastern Europe and elsewhere.
It's just a choice, a personal choice, and as such it shouldn't be disputed or challenged.
I'm afraid there is no "just" to me in this matter. I have morals and values and they affect the way I think and discuss. Like others challenge mine I will also challenge other views if I feel like doing that. In this case by mentioning good experiences of adoption and by voicing my opinion that women should have the right to know all options that are available to them. Let them make the choice, but inform them as well as possible.

But man, to doubt virtually every fact that is reported. To (almost) constantly mistrust media, that sounds more like the life in a warzone, or in the old DDR, or Iran or Russia or other countries using propaganda and means to limit freedom of speech. How can some watchblogs make you so utterly disillusioned that it has come to this?

It's not just "some" watchblogs. I've been following the media since I was a teen, and every single media outlet that I ever put my trust in at some point got exposed for either reporting wrong facts or twisting the truth for their own benefit. When I started reading watchblogs, I saw that there is almost a systematic way of getting things wrong.

It starts with comparatively minor things such as reporting wrong numbers or mixing up names. It gets serious with cases that are almost symptomatic, when one paper or news station bends the truth a little or misquotes something, and the rest of the press picks that up and keeps twisting it. This has happened a little too often in recent times for my taste, and I feel that the media have not earned, or deserve my trust.

So yeah, I prefer to triple-check information, because it's happened way too often that I used something as the foundation of my opinion or knowledge that later turned out to be wrong.

It's not just "some" watchblogs. I've been following the media since I was a teen, and every single media outlet that I ever put my trust in at some point got exposed for either reporting wrong facts or twisting the truth for their own benefit. When I started reading watchblogs, I saw that there is almost a systematic way of getting things wrong.

It starts with comparatively minor things such as reporting wrong numbers or mixing up names. It gets serious with cases that are almost symptomatic, when one paper or news station bends the truth a little or misquotes something, and the rest of the press picks that up and keeps twisting it. This has happened a little too often in recent times for my taste, and I feel that the media have not earned, or deserve my trust.

So yeah, I prefer to triple-check information, because it's happened way too often that I used something as the foundation of my opinion or knowledge that later turned out to be wrong.

Interestingly I semi recently read a book (Selling Hitler: The Story of the Hitler Diaries) and an about half way through a not so good mini series based on the book about Stern and the Hitler Diaries fiasco. I'd recommend the book, it was really well written and almost reads like a comedy.

One of the most popular German comedy films of the early 1990s is also a pretty accurate re-telling of the scandal. It's called Schtonk!, I recommend you check it out!

I will, the mini series I have been watching (British) is okay, but not nearly as good (or funny) as the book. What a fucking mess that was, the more you dig into the facts, the more bizarre it is that it got as far as it did.

Crap like this is why public unions should be reigned in .. ala what happened in Wisconsin

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) pays a “horseshoer” $29,245 in salary and roughly $27,000 in benefits. There’s only one problem — Detroit has no horses for the horseshoer to shoe.

Some critics argue that the department has been turned into some sort of a government jobs program. Meanwhile, the local union president says it is “not possible” to eliminate positions, the Michigan Capitol Confidential reports.

Obama's posing as a horseshoer now then?

How the hell did that one slip through the net though, seriously. Someone must've picked up on it... even if there was a horseshoer, that's a LOT of money....

I am guessing it is a guaranteed union position ... Detroit has an incredible amount of public workers per citizen .. and despite that, the city is falling apart.

This is a year or so old. Also, the two main employers in Detroit are the school district, then the city, then you start getting to the private sector

bilde

It is interesting to look at Detroit versus Pittsburg and Cleveland. Both of those cities were in a similar to Detroit in the 60s and 70s, but they pulled out of the death spiral to become reasonably prosperous and completely turn their image around while Detroit just kept spiraling.

I'd like to, time permitting, go back and look at what those cities did differently.

... or maybe electing people like this caused some problems (though by the time this guy came into office, it was already too late. He may have sped things up a bit though)

Detroit — Ex-Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick will be sentenced Sept. 3, almost exactly one year after his City Hall corruption trial started in federal court.
The sentencing date was set Thursday by U.S. District Judge Nancy Edmunds and will cap a years-long odyssey that saw Kilpatrick go from mayor and national political figure to federal prison inmate.
Prosecutors say Kilpatrick, who was convicted of 24 charges including racketeering conspiracy in March, likely will be sentenced to 20 to 30 years in prison.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130725/METRO01/307250082#ixzz2a547BNsG

Actually, Romney wasn't involved with Detroit. Not sure where that info came from. He did say though that we should let Detroit go bankrupt. Obama, on the other hand, said he wouldn't let that happen.

Back