USA Politics

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I do realize that Africa does in fact have different countries and each country has its own government, but since there are countries with corrupt governments, we shouldn't give any of them any money in case the governments of the countries we're giving money to are corrupt.

Here's a question. You got worked up over this Africa trip because of fireworks. Do you think it would be better if we did spend the money on fireworks rather than use it in an attempt to help make living situations in Africa better?

Also, you can't generalize like that. Especially with a continent the size of Africa. Yes, many of the countries are corrupt. But not all of them, and they are all in many different situations. Ghana, for example, has a growing economy and is a constitutional republic. That's right, they have a constitution, just like us. And like most African countries, it has a rich culture. So no, not all the governments are corrupt, nor are they all the same.

Cutting off financial aid is the equivalent to sweeping the mess under a rug. The easy way out. It's true that a lot of the corrupt leaders intercept money given through charities, but there are charities that work. There are a lot of organizations out there who are helping to improve lives in Africa. Doctors Without Borders is a good example of an organization making a difference in South Africa. I also knew someone who did missionary work in Kenya. She was there for a year, I think. You can't tell me that these services are hindered by a corrupt government. There's a definite difference between just sending money and actually investing in things like clean energy or a better water supply. You're looking at this Africa thing in a very black and white perspective, and it just doesn't work that way. At all.

As usual, you have set me straight Mosh. Thank you for that explanation. This is why I love this thread so much. It serves as a great learning tool and really informs me of things that I'm wrong or don't know much about.

Rick Perry announced he would not run again for governor. I think that is probably the best move, he has been in office longer than any governor in Texas history .... time for someone new.

I disagree with him on much of the religiousy agenda he pushed and his Presidential run was a disaster, but on balance I think it is hard to argue that Texas did better than any of the larger states during the recession with a low unemployment rate and is not facing the budget problems California, Illinois, Michigan, et al are suffering. Perry and George W deserve credit for that.

As usual, you have set me straight Mosh. Thank you for that explanation. This is why I love this thread so much. It serves as a great learning tool and really informs me of things that I'm wrong or don't know much about.

If this is a 'usual' occurrence, perhaps it would be better to post and see what people have to say on the subject (i.e post it as a discussion topic) whenever you read something like that, instead of flying off the handle instantly with outrage and NObama rant's? It'll probably save you a lot of rage and embarassment.

(No offense, just seems to be very repetitive :P)

Rick Perry announced he would not run again for governor. I think that is probably the best move, he has been in office longer than any governor in Texas history .... time for someone new.

I disagree with him on much of the religiousy agenda he pushed and his Presidential run was a disaster, but on balance I think it is hard to argue that Texas did better than any of the larger states during the recession with a low unemployment rate and is not facing the budget problems California, Illinois, Michigan, et al are suffering. Perry and George W deserve credit for that.
Wasn't a fan of him at all and I was glad to see his presidential run fall flat on its face. What do you think of Greg Abbott though? Looks like he's the certain successor. Seems like there's not going to be much of a change with him, might as well be reelecting Perry again.

Abbott is the front runner, but I do not think he is a lock. Dewhurst was a major front runner in the Senate race and Cruz came along and beat him soundly. There are obviously a ton of possible GOPers that might run and initially Abbott will have the target on his back.

I do not have a strong opinion of Abbott one way or another based on what he did as Attorney General, the main plus was he was out in front of suing ObamaCare.

It seems to me that Perry is getting ready for another Presidential race. But all the same, Texas could use the change - and it's possible he might have been primaried out, anyway.

Welcome back!

I do not think he would have had much primary competition if he ran .. at least from the main players, they all said they would not run against him.

I don't think it would have happened, but his popularity just isn't where it was. He wouldn't have lost the general, either, but he would have been vulnerable - and that alone would have hurt him on the national stage should he decide to go for the presidency again.

Some of the local theories are the Perry has not really cashed in (like many politicians) and that when he leaves office he will get on some boards and hit the speaking circuit and if he runs in 2016 in part it might be to improve his image from the last run (which I cannot imagine how he could do worse) and boost his value on the speaking circuit.

Like I said, in general I like him and economically he has done a good job ... but I am fine with him leaving as well.

That could certainly be it. A respectable run could make him far more employable/hireable after (see Mike Huckabee). Regardless, he's gonna be out of Texas's politics soon. And definitely he can't do worse than last time. There's three things he could do better. Prepare, avoid making bets with Mitt Romney, and...oops.

Reminds me of Revenue Canada losing a hard drive that had the Social Insurance Numbers and bank information of 1.1 million Canadians on it.

Yeah .. not good. The IRS deal, even though it is fewer in numbers of people affected, seems worse given their recent string of scandals from lavish trips, expensive "training" videos, signaling out certain groups for increased scrutiny. They have had a several month run of one bad thing after another becoming public.

I'm just not surprised. The IRS has operated essentially independently of review from any branch of government for years and years. This shit builds up without appropriate oversight.

Maybe a bit, but only a bit. One thing scandals like these are good at doing in public organizations is cleaning house. The spotlight of ObamaCare will help too. And if Congress was on the ball (they aren't) they'd pass a law to add a bi-partisan review board or something to the IRS to make sure it doesn't pull any of this shit again.

I do not know, something like this seems to come up every few years ... changes are promised but they never happen. It will be interesting to see how hard the IRS goes after people for not having insurance since

a) they have to under the law and supposedly everyone getting insurance is a key point to it

b) the administration has hinted that maybe they will not (my guess is it is political since they would be grabbing money from their base via the IRS). I would hope they will get called on this if they let people off the hook .. this is the law that was passed .. live with it until it is changed/

c) from the last set of scandals, the IRS was supposed to back off on their most aggressive tactics.

on a slightly different IRS subject ...

I feel the entire system of auditing is BS and goes against (in spirit at least) the notion that people are innocent until proven guilty. I truly despise the entire organization and what they stand for and that Congresses/Presidents of both parties have made the tax laws so confusing that it needs so much explanation and anyone choosing to take anything but the standard deduction needs to either buy software or hire an accountant to figure out what they owe and it scares the shit out of everyone to the point where some people leave deductions on the table for fear of audit.

Tax dollars at work

An investigation is being carried out into why the U.S. military spent $34 million constructing a building in Afghanistan that has never been used - and may now be demolished.
The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, John Sopko, sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and two top generals this week, requesting more information about the project in Helmand Province.
The 64,000-square foot building was commissioned by the Army in February 2010 to be the Command and Control Facility for Regional Command Southwest during the surge.
130710-afghanistan-room-hmed-1p.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Recon
Plastic covers are still on seats inside what was designed to be a command and control facility in Helmand Province.
But, in May 2010, even before construction began, the Marine commander in the area submitted a request to U.S. Forces Afghanistan to cancel the project.
Despite that request, the following year, in February 2011, the Air Force issued an order to British-based AMEC Earth and Environment Inc. to construct the facility and, in November 2012, the U.S. government took over the facility.
In his letter, dated July 8, Sopko said the military knew the building would not be used for its original purpose well before construction began. He asked Hagel, as well as Gen. Joseph Dunford and Gen. Lloyd Austin, to explain why construction ever began.
Sopko also asked them to find out whether another facility had been built to replace the unused building.
And he questioned whether turning the building over to the Afghan government was possible, given that the Afghans might not have the technical capacity or money to maintain it.
"According to a senior U.S. military official, as the footprint of Camp Leatherneck decreases, the building could be outside the security perimeter, thereby making it unsafe for the U.S. military to occupy it. This leaves the military with two primary options -- demolish the building or give it to the Afghan government,” he said in the letter.
“Due to an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment at this time,” NATO’s International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan replied when asked for comment about the investigation by NBC News.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said that the Pentagon was "viewing the report," and had nothing more to add to it.

He was not sure when Hagel would provide a formal response.

Back