USA Politics

Hey, what would FOX News be if the Liberals wouldn't want to destroy America?

Agreed, the need to fill 24 hours of programming and the need to be controversial to get ratings has really dragged the debate into the muck.

There's a few I find respectable as commentators. I'm a fan of Rachel Maddow, mostly because I identify with her on most issues, and I don't think she's a "party line" pundit - something I can respect, as she'll call out Democrats for not being liberal enough. David Frum is another good one, and someone I think is a good conservative commentator.

It is probably natural to lean towards commentators that share your views. There are libertarian leaning commentators that will call out the GOP on policy issues. Reason.com is most likely my favorite written commentary. Back in the day, Pat Buchanan had a great talk show with Barry Levin (ACLU. might have his name wrong) on the radio, it was (surprisingly) the most interesting radio show I ever heard. They would spend an hour on a topic that was a great discussion without yelling/screaming/sound bites, etc. What is lacking mostly now is the discussion part.

Reason.com has some really good authors, I find myself there from time to time reading. And I agree the discussion is what's missing in the end. A lot of libertarians are very good with social issues. Not all of them (Rand Paul) but a lot of them.

Normally emergency managers really bother me, but in Detroit's case, I think it needs someone who can handle the gangs, unions, and politics without worrying about his own re-election.

Unfortunately, Robocop wasn't available.

Yeah, it is the right call and there is a limit on his term and from that the city will either be better or in bankruptcy. The guy they found to do this (Orr) seems like a good person for the job, has worked in the area before with the Chrysler bankruptcy, and is black (which I generally do not think should be a consideration, but since Detroit is 80% black, probably will help him being accepted).

Hmm, instead of "I don't promote marijuana" they should have chosen the more revolutionary title:

"There are people in jail for 37, 50, 45 years for nonviolent crimes and that's a huge mistake"

or

"Our prisons are full of non-violent criminals."

or

"I don't want to put people in jail who make a mistake".

Finally a Republican who sees the light when it comes to the punishment culture and the related prison problem.

Finally a Republican who sees the light when it comes to the punishment culture and the related prison problem.

There are a decent amount that agree with Paul on this issue in the GOP, Paul Ryan said during the 2012 campaign while he does not support the use of it, he thought it was a matter that should be left to the states ... others have said something similar to that.

It means Libertarians would rather be cowboys shooting their way to the saloon rather than care for the world around them.

Back