USA Politics

The people of WI have spoken, Walker won by a larger margin than he did in 2010. This state is in the up for grabs column in 2012.

m0gYG.jpg

Thought it was enough thought provoking to post it, if you don't mind. ;-)
(I admit that it is just a twitter post, I haven't checked the stats myself.)

I assume that the ban will go away over time, as well it should, but it will probably need to happen on a state by state basis. My understanding is that the only thing the federal law does is prevent gay marriages being recognized by other states. But I think this will be a losing political issue over time, companies are making the issue more moot by offering domestic partner benefits, etc.

I clearly align more with the GOP overall on most policy issues, but break with them sharply on some social issues. This is one issue that they will need to let go, it is just not going to happen anytime soon.

I think Ryan was a solid pick, when it came down to the finalist, I prefered him over Pawlenty and Portman. I was a bit torn between Ryan and Jindal, but am happy with Ryan ... incredibly sharp guy who reminds be a bit of the 1980s version of Jack Kemp.

On the economic front, I think he has put forward some very good ideas and has shown he is not afraid to deviate from safe options and shown some leadership and being willing to take hits to come up with long term solutions versus one year budget fixes and gimmicks. People may like or dislike what he has proposed, but I think some respect is due to anyone in either party that is willing to avoid the easy way out and take political hits by addressing issues head on and comprehensively.

His claim to fame has been on budget issues, I have not checked his stances on other issues that much .. though I do recall he got in a bit of hot water with conservatives for voting for a bill preventing discrimination against gays in the workplace.

The key to this election is the economy ... I have been generally following the entire campaign on those lines and generally like what Ryan has proposed in those areas, especially around the tax code.

I am generally a bit disapointed with GOP stances on non-economic/social issues, I assume I will probably be with Ryan as well.

Read an article that Ryan has Metallica, Zepplin, Rush, AC/DC and the like on his Ipod ... easily the best musical taste between Obama, Biden, Romney, and himself

Oh, Ryan has the best taste. I just...really think Romney is tossing a Hail Mary at this point, and I don't think it's going to land.

The more I look at the Ryan budget ideas, the more I think they're really bad. Obama's going to have a field day with his Medicare plan. His tax plan is also atrocious. Major tax cuts for the rich, tax hikes for anyone making under 250k.

Bearfan, what do you think of this the following? Yes, it's Obama propaganda but I hope you won't disqualify it for that reason only. Does this stuff really not make you doubt?

540240_455168341170430_391692438_n.jpg

309018_10151094875536749_488524700_n.jpg

387027_10151112460316252_774161491_n.jpg

391510_10151084386709000_1175831518_n.jpg

582833_10151117354031252_1133903952_n.jpg

Frightening.

I think a few things are being missed from the budget he proposed.

The US has some of the highest actual corporate tax rates in the world, his proposal was to reduce those tax rates drastically, but also eliminated the majority of loopholes that exist. Even though the tax rates would drop quite a bit, the actual amount they pay would go up with the loopholes gone. This seems to be something many support, but it seems easy I suppose to throw out the "he is slashing taxes on the rich argument". The proposal was similar on personal taxes .. lower rates, but fewer deductions and tax shelters.

Back