Unreleased Pink Floyd instrumental music from 1994 coming in Ocober

I think Division Bell is a classic, but not getting Waters to contribute to this is a real missed opportunity for one last album/tour.

Totally agree with the last reply. When I read the news I thought they were going to invite him to contribute... I didn't expect a tour but I did wish he was going to participate in the album. It would have been great and a great way to end the final PF album

Well, it seems that much better. Remember they have played songs together and Gilmour even performed at Confortably Numb in one of the Wall concerts

Without the four of them together including Waters, it's hardly Pink Floyd. The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason were really just Gilmour albums with the PF name slapped on. I expect this to be more of the same, especially since so much of it is culled from TDB sessions.

That's not to say I don't think it'll be any good. I like Division Bell enough. But I don't expect it to be anything particularly special the way their earlier albums were. I'm still holding out that maybe they got Waters and are just keeping quiet about it, but I'm not getting my hopes too high. It would be a real shame if they didn't take the opportunity to end the band's legacy with a complete lineup.

I think that a Momentary Lapse Of Reason and The Division Bell are more Pink Floyd that the crap of a record that the final cut or for that matter, any of the solo albums that Water has released... I mean, I do like Waters works but nothing sounds like Pink Floyd album (including those mentioned above).

Oh by the way (secret pun intended) I don't think you can call the above mentioned albums David's albums since both albums sound like a progression of the progressive rock sound that characterize the pink floyd sound...

It would be great that what you say is true, the thing about Waters participating, however I highly doubt it

While I love Final Cut, I agree that is also isn't really a Pink Floyd album. And nor do his solo albums. That doesn't change the fact that AMLOR or Division Bell don't sound like PF either. Momentary Lapse might as well be a Gilmour album since Wright and Mason were barely on it.

I don't hear the progression. They sound totally unlike anything Pink Floyd had been doing up until that point, a complete 180.

Hmmmmm I understand your Wright commentary but Mason was totally on it! Hell, he's THE ONLY PF original member who has played in EVERY album.

About the progression you have to take into consideration that the "last" PF album (taking out Final Cut) was in 1979 (The Wall) and AMLOR was in 1987... So there was no way it was going to sound similar, that would have been boring! Now, both albums (AMLOR & DB) still mantain the use of "sounds & voices" and it still is progressive rock so I don't see why you say is a complete 180...

The majority of that album is done by session drummers, notably Carmine Appice. Mason is only on a couple tracks. Take it from Gilmour himself:
David Gilmour said:
Both Nick and Rick were catatonic in terms of their playing ability at the beginning. Neither of them played on this at all really. In my view, they'd been destroyed by Roger.

Really? Those albums sound nothing like Pink Floyd. They went through a lot of stylistic changes but each album seemed like a continuation of the last, even The Final Cut. Those last two albums are more pop than anything else. By the time they made The Wall, Waters' songwriting was dominating, so obviously the sound was going to make a drastic change. Yea it has sound effects, but so what?

Mmmmm I think I have that complete interview by David and that comment you have posted is about the beginning of the recording session of AMLOR not about the whole product. You also have to remember that even by the time The Wall was made Rick was not part of Pink Floyd but he was hired as a session musician (therefore the only "member" of PF making money during The Wall Tour)

Pop! OMG... So you did expect that after 8 years Pink Floyd would still sound like 1979? That's crazy.... Is like people winning about that The Final Frontier doesn't sound like TNOB or Powerslave or even SSOSS.... Is progression, you can't expect of a group of musicians to keep sounding always the same, that would be BOOORINGGG

Is not only the sound effects is also the overall sound of the music, Gilmours guitar, Mason style of drumming and without a doubt Ricks keyboards.

But to your point (I had to look for the quote in the book) Richard Wright does agree with you about AMLOR and says "It’s not a band album at all."

OK but that doesn't change the fact that Mason is hardly on the album. I'll never understand why The Final Cut is constantly slagged for being a Waters solo album when AMLOR is pretty much the same thing for Gilmour.

And when did I say that I expected them to sound the same as they did in 1979? It was a brand new decade and their primary songwriter was gone, of course it wasn't going to sound the same. Those two albums, especially AMLOR, are pretty poppy. They're very 80s sounding at times. That's not an insult, just an observation. The more guitar driven songs, the lack of concepts or narratives, the drum machines, and the different types of keyboards. Just the way the songs were written, Roger Waters had a very distinct writing style. All that stuff combined makes a very different Pink Floyd.

I am confused with this 2014 release. On one hand it is always good to get new material from one of your favorite band. On the other hand Nick Mason explained in his Pink Floyd biography (Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd / 2004) that the band recorded various jams after the release of Division Bell but that these instrumentals were not good enough to be released as a Floyd record and were mostly "experiences". Given that they re-recorded some music for that album, I can hardly imagine what the final product would sound like. Personaly, I enjoyed Division Bell and if the record to come would sound just like at it, I would be happy...

There's really three distinct stages of Pink Floyd; Barret's Floyd, Water's Floyd, Gilmour's Floyd, but it's all Pink Floyd.

As for the new album. I'm carefully optimistic. I don't see it as a return of Pink Floyd that much though so I really don't care that much if Waters is on it or not. It's not brand new material.

Polly Samson, who is Gilmour's wife (and co-writer of most of the lyrics to the Division Bell) was the one who originally "spilled the beans" on the new album via Twitter. She said: "Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called "The Endless River". Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful."

Richard Wright's swansong. I think that's what the album should be looked as, and what was/is the bands intention with the album.

I agree with all of you, it IS a very different Pink Floyd as Mosh said. I'm only hoping the record is good and if it does sound like the Division Bell, well, I'll be happy... I think it's gonna sound more like a Gilmour album than other but let's wait and see

Some details...
The duo also clarified some of the ongoing rumors, namely that the material draws heavily from Gilmour’s unreleased experimental album, The Big Spliff. According to Uncut, the album is not at all based on The Big Spliff and incorporates only a few seconds from the original project. It also does not contain any material “The Soundscape”, the instrumental track originally released on the band’s 1995 Pulse Cassette.

Rather, The Endless River contains four different pieces on each side of the record, which focus on the “more atmospheric and digressive aspects of Pink Floyd and includes snippets of conversation.”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/09/pink-floyd-reveals-details-of-new-album-the-endless-river/

Back