Unreleased Iron Maiden

I'll say it again: I doubt very much that there's a lot of unreleased Maiden sitting around somewhere.

Maiden seems to be the kind of band who puts 100% into the albums, such that there's nothing left over. You just don't hear about unreleased songs. With bands who do stockpile songs like that, rumors get out. There are known to be unreleased Beatles songs. Prince is rumored to have dozens of albums worth. But can anyone point to any credible source talking about unreleased Maiden? All we know about is a few cover songs.

Of course, there's got to be some stuff. We know some BNW songs originated in the Blaze days, so there might be things like early/demo versions of that. But I get the sense that such things would be the exception, not the rule.

Which brings up another point I made earlier: if they do have unreleased stuff, it's probably unreleased for good reason. Do you really want to spoil the magic with the stuff that isn't ready for prime time? Do you really want to see how the sausage gets made? My opinion: let the stuff stay in the vault. Let Iron Maiden exercise their right of quality control over their music. If it's not good enough to put on an album, leave it alone.

It's quite amazing how this thread grew to almost three pages without any substantial content except for the already known fact that there are a few unreleased cover songs and SMX' statement, which closes the matter in my opinion.

In other words: This is two full pages of talk about nothing.  :huh:

it's funny how there are more unreleased van halen songs than there are released material. I'm quite glad maiden isn't like that.

Don Dokken said:
it's funny how there are more unreleased van halen songs than there are released material. I'm quite glad maiden isn't like that.

Van Halen is set to release a new album next year!   :ok:

...and I'm pretty sure there are tons of unreleased and rare Iron Maiden.

another reason I'm skeptical is with other bands somehow the stuff eventually gets out on the internet.

I think there's some lying around somewhere.

Consider that When the Wild Wind Blows was an unreleased tape lying around Steve's studio for god knows how long.

But I don't think there is much.

Perun said:
It's quite amazing how this thread grew to almost three pages without any substantial content except for the already known fact that there are a few unreleased cover songs and SMX' statement, which closes the matter in my opinion.

In other words: This is two full pages of talk about nothing.  :huh:

I quite like my own contribution.  B)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Really? On what basis? Do you have any kind of source for that? Even a rumor?

Most, if not all, bands usually have unreleased stuff.  Not just unreleased songs, but outtakes and demos and stuff.  Iron Maiden have been around awhile, and I bet they have tons of stuff.  They probably just do a really good job keeping it under the radar.

Consider that When the Wild Wind Blows was an unreleased tape lying around Steve's studio for god knows how long.

Exactly, and my impression (still forming) of TFF is that at least half of the songs were written in previous years. No I have, nor am I likely to get, no proof of this but the writing on some of the album strikes me as very similar to material going back even as far as the late 80s. That and it seems almost a 180 compared to material on AMOLAD. More on this later....

If there is anything, I think it is mostly rough demos of songs we already know. With slight changes musically or lyrically while they were fine tuning it for the album.

As for complete unknown full songs l'm not so sure. Since as far as I know, Maiden take out everything they feel they can use from what everyone brings to the table before the writing starts, and pretty much find a spot for it if it works in a song, and scrap the rest.

But with live stuff, they have enough to make many more Eddies Archives  :eek:  :yey: 

SixesAlltheway said:
But with live stuff, they have enough to make many more Eddies Archives  :eek:  :yey: 

Live stuff would be nice...but I'm much more interested in unreleased studio material.

TFF 01 said:
Live stuff would be nice...but I'm much more interested in unreleased studio material.

There is not much 1980's studio stuff, because they used it all up and would re-work songs etc, but live Cd's from each tour would be really good with full soundboard gigs, a boxset with a selected concert from 1981, 1983, 1986 and the full gigs from 1988/89 would be great IMO! :edmetal:

I would like to hear some pre-tour rehearsal songs... you know, stuff that they ran through before they decided on the setlist just before various tours. I'm guessing that they taped at least some of it in order to analyse. IMHO it would be interesting to hear rough performances of stuff like Fates Warning, Mother Russia, Nomad, the much-fabled Alexander, Steve taking a dump,etc. I'm really wondering how much of this stuff exists. Even the rehearsals of the stuff they did end-up playing at a few select shows (e.g. Long Distance Runner, Fallen Angel) would be cool.

They could call it: Lost Somewhere In Rehearsal.

I'm sure if, IF unreleased studio stuff does in fact exist (and I too believe that there probably isn't much) that it'll be released at some point.

It's clear that between live DVDs and documentaries that there will be plenty of "new" Maiden releases even long after they retire.

Donner said:
It's clear that between live DVDs and documentaries that there will be plenty of "new" Maiden releases even long after they retire.

I'd like to see some releases of unreleased material.  They could also include demos, and outtakes and such.  I'm sure they probably have at least some stuff.

I just read a great interview on the Greek version of RockHard magazine.
I'm translating some really interesting parts.

R.H.(to Steve Harris) Once more, you've composed songs almost with any other member.Is there someone that you enjoy working with a bit more?

S.H.: Each one has his own talent.Everyone has his own ideas - loads of ideas.On the other hand I write a lot of stuff on my own.I'm recording songs off my own ideas that I'm working out all the time.I could very easily write 3 Iron Maiden albums all by myself just by using stuff that I've gathered.Each time I'm only using just a small part of the material I've got.
Of course I''ll have to turn those cassettes into digital form or else that material will be lost.

R.H.: (to Dave Murray) You don't usually write more than one song per album.

D.M.: I had a few more ideas, just as Janick did but we didn't have more time to use as we had already used the 100% of the CD.Many of our ideas were left out.We''ll have to live with that.

R.H. (asking Dave and Adrian) Have you ever tried to compose something together?

A.S.: We already have and it sounded too bluesy for Maiden.

I translated sentence by sentence the text right now without wasting any time following the right procedure.The interview I have is the translated (to greek) version of the original one that was done by some guy called Goetz Kuehnemund.As a result my translation might differ from the original text but you''ll get the picture anyway.
I had the feeling this was really important so I did it as quickly as possible.

That's really interesting Murder. Would fucking kill to hear Steve's demos and that Dave and H bluesy stuff would also be of interest.

Great info!  Steve surely has loads of unreleased material laying around, and I'd love to hear all of Iron Maiden's unreleased stuff.

Back