Unreleased Iron Maiden

Jeffmetal said:
Sorry, it's The Thin Line Between & Hate I read long time ago. Gonna try to find the interview or the article.

Cool! I never knew what the fourth one was. If you find the article please post. Thanks!

Most unreleased Priest songs which got released some years ago with the remasters were weak but there were a few nice ones (I like "Prisoner of Your Eyes" and also "Heart of a Lion").

Things work differently in Maiden: From what I have read over the years it goes like this:
They only record a song after they have decided that they're 100% sure it will be on an album or used as a b-side.

That's the difference with Priest, Sabbath and many other bands:
Before Maiden starts recording they know what they're doing and they are not going to change their minds.

Yeah! Maiden and Rush are bands who write only what they need. That's a strong reason to a box set like this never get released.

Race With The Devil (Gun cover), Fire Burns Below, All Fired Up (which is better than 90% of 'Turdo') and Turn On Your Light are great, too.

I disagree with most songs you mention but I like Race With The Devil.  :ok:

Maiden and Rush work like Alfred Hitchcock: they don't record things they don't use.
When he came to Hollywood, Hitch's method (very different from other directors at the time) was a huge frustration to Hollywood producer Selznick... who loved to cut in the work of directors.
Hitchcock had nothing to cut for him. He only recorded what he exactly had in mind, so it was already cut*.
No need to shoot anything which wasn't in the script. :)

*Quote from wiki:
Selznick complained about Hitchcock's "goddamn jigsaw cutting", which meant that the producer did not have nearly the leeway to create his own film as he liked, but had to follow Hitchcock's vision of the finished product.

I pretty much relate with this mind set. :ok:

Sabbath was pretty much like that, too. It's mostly Tony who has boxes of tapes with riffs, only, not full songs. Although there are 7 songs the band wrote in 2000/2001 that was intended to be the next Sabbath album after Forbidden, but it didn't leak and they don't know what to do with it. Only Scared Dreams was played live and it's one of hell of classic Sabbath dirge that seems to have come straight from Paranoid or Master Of Reality.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Unreleased stuff is usually unreleased for a very good reason: it's usually not very good. Even if Maiden has much (which, like Foro, I highly doubt) it's probable that whatever they have is crap.

No band, not even Maiden, gets a hit every time at the plate. If the band hasn't put it out there already, leave it alone.
Great, horrible, and in between. I'd love to hear it all!

I'd love to hear everything.  Even outtakes, demos, or just riffs (jams).  I can say I'm pretty sure Maiden has plenty of rare and unreleased stuff, and maybe enough or a box set or maybe just for a few individual releases after they retire.

I've never seen an interview saying the 4th BNW song but I know its Thin Line by using process of elimination. Nomad DOM and mercany are already named. It isn't Blood Brothers. Next elimanate any song with Bruce/H. Wickerman, Navigator, BNW,Angel, and OOTSP are eliminated. Leaving Thin Line as as the only song left.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Great, horrible, and in between. I'd love to hear it all!

So would I.  It gives the fans something to look forward to after the band retires, if they released their rare and unreleased material.

I'd love to hear some now of course. Maybe they could release a part 1 of it covering the first half of their career and save part 2 for retirement.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
I'd love to hear some now of course. Maybe they could release a part 1 of it covering the first half of their career and save part 2 for retirement.

We just got a new studio album.  I'm willing to wait a little bit for a new release...I just hope at some point they release all this rare and unreleased stuff they have.

What happened to the b-sides from AMOLAD? I recall Tush as well as Angel of Death being mentioned in the bonus dvd.

Yeah, those were the tracks mentioned, along with Hocus Pocus.
The only one they released.

Thin Lizzy's Angel of Death is a really, really great song (Lynott rules), which Maiden would've made a heck of a cover off.
And certainly Lizzy's style did complement Maiden when they did Massacre in 1988 I feel, so this cover would be nice to hear.

Plus "I foresee a holocaust, an angel of death descending to destroy the human race" does nasty things to "They make their tea and sit there waiting, in the shelter feeling snug". :innocent:

B-sides could be included in releases of rare and unreleased Iron Maiden, as well.  I don't mean just unreleased songs.  But outtakes, demos, b-sides, and all kinds of stuff.

I would rather like to have DVD-release like the Plug Me In Box of AC/DC. A set that contains unreleased videoclips from different gigs and tv-shows etc.

They should have tons of unrelease material. I sure hope they release it someday. I'm going to check out Space Truckin', I've never heard that song.

Back