Un-documented live songs (OFFICIAL RELEASES)

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
I am a big fan of geeky lists and this has been one that I have been thinking about all week. With the release of the new live album, I was wondering about songs that have been performed live and ones that have not been released in some way. Below is a list of songs that I believe have been performed live by Maiden but have never been officially released as live versions (including live albums, EPs, singles).

Soundhouse Tapes
  • Invasion
Iron Maiden
  • Strange World
Killers
  • Ghengis Khan
  • Prodigal Son
  • Purgatory
  • Twilight Zone
Piece of Mind
  • To Tame a Land
Somewhere in Time
  • Sea of Madness
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
The X Factor
  • Fortunes of War
  • The Edge of Darkness
Virtual XI
  • Angel and the Gambler
  • Lightning Strikes Twice
  • When Two Worlds Collide
  • The Educated Fool
  • Don’t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
Brave New World
  • Fallen Angel
  • Out of the Silent Planet
A Matter of Life and Death
  • These Colours Don’t Run
  • Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
  • The Pilgrim
  • Longest Day
  • Out of the Shadows
  • Lord of Light
  • The Legacy
Book of Souls
  • Tears of A Clown
Non-album tracks
  • Woman in Uniform

I thought this may be interesting to some people (I have too much time on my hands in this lockdown!). Have I missed any songs?

Last edited:
^ songs that have been performed, but not released officialy.

Ah ok. So then Nomad was played live? I never knew this. Is there a good bootleg or YouTube with this song? It’s my fave from BNW.

No mate, songs that have been picked for the setlist, played live, but haven't made it to any official recording. Nomad was not played in the first place :)

So this is the list of songs played live, that you can hear only on bootleg recordings.

Iron Maiden
  • Charlotte the Harlot
  • Strange World
Killers
  • Ghengis Khan
  • Purgatory
  • Twilight Zone
Piece of Mind
  • To Tame a Land - London 1983
Somewhere in Time
  • Sea of Madness - Paris 1986
  • Stranger in a Strange Land - Chicago 1987
  • The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Belgrade 1986 (very bad quality)

The X Factor
  • Fortunes of War - Santiago 1996
  • The Edge of Darkness - Sofia 1995

Virtual XI
  • Angel and the Gambler - Tokyo 1998
  • Lightning Strikes Twice - Curitiba 1998
  • When Two Worlds Collide - Curitiba 1998
  • The Educated Fool - Hamilton 1998 (no pro available)
  • Don’t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger - Nancy 1998 (no pro available)

• Brave New World
    • Fallen Angel - Buenos Aires 2001
    • Out of the Silent Planet - Buenos Aires 2001
  • A Matter of Life and Death
    • These Colours Don’t Run - P3 Globen
    • Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - Abbey Road sessions
    • The Pilgrim - P3 Globen
    • Longest Day - P3 Globen
    • Out of the Shadows - P3 Globen
    • Lord of Light - P3 Globen
    • The Legacy - P3 Globen
  • Book of Souls
    • Tears of A Clown - Wacken 2016

I filled out my recommendation for the bootlegs. I'm not an expert for early days so someone else can do them :)

I wouldn't be an expert either, but Before the Exile (London) for the first album tour, and Heavy Users of Power (Tokyo) for the Killers tour are my go tos, all 5 of those tracks are covered

Seeing so many AMOLAD songs on the list almost makes me sad.

Just properly mixing the aforementioned Stockholm bootleg would be enough to release a live CD. A best live CD they've released in the last 20 years.

All of the AMOLAD songs, TOAC, OOTSP, SIASL and TTAL should have been released (at least once) on a live album imo.

All of the AMOLAD songs, TOAC, OOTSP, SIASL and TTAL should have been released (at least once) on a live album imo.

"Should have been" is probably a bit overused statement around these matters, but I do agree that Tears of a Clown, with it's representative tour backdrop as cover art and the live version included, would've made a brilliant collectors item. :)

TOAC 7"

1. Tears of a Clown
2. Tears of a Clown (live 2016)

I'm all for 2026 AMOLAD 20th anniversary special edition with "A Matter of Live and Death" bonus disc included, too. :) That Globen 2006 bootleg is truly a golden one, though!

I proposed the idea way back when it still seemed like it could've happened, but Maiden should've done a Record Store Day special TBOS: LC The Lost Pages single release with TOAC and Hallowed included, accompanied by video on YT. They almost certainly have mixed and filmed versions of both songs that we'll never get to see.

Obviously not a big deal for Hallowed (Bruce sounded pretty rough on it in 2016 anyway) but TOAC is a bit of a shame.

There's some detail in this post for you to compare:

I need to update this with Nights of the Dead.

Back