True Music is Underappreciated

A

Anonymous

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Today's youth and teens have absolutely no appreciation for true music.

Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Jimi Hendrix, these guys are the gods of music, yet you get all these emos and punks telling me that "The Used" could outplay all of them...Give me a fucking break. Its well known that today's bands play music for the money, but the guys of the 60's, 70's and 80's played for the music, without the gods, there would be no BLAZE, no Iced Earth, no Children Of Bodom, no Savatage, no Killswitch Engage, none of that stuff would exist.

Bruce Dickinson is known to be a hater of today's music and honestly, who could blame the guy, most of today's music is nonsense screams and people whining about how bad they supposedly "have it". Whatever happened to the days when music had meaning to it? Where has the real music gone to? Bruce, I support you 100%, we need people to bring back the good old style. Me and the other members of my band, currently named "Wrathchild" after the Iron Maiden song, are working on it, hopefully if we make it big some day, people will start to have an appreciation for real music again, maybe we can start a New Wave Of True Music (NWOTM).

This is, of course, a dream Ive had ever since popping "Edward The Great" into my discman for the first time and Im gonna keep playing, even if only sell one album, Ill keep pushing for the sake of the music, Ill keep going so that I can put an end to all this rap, hip hop, emo and punk.

We're seeing more and more fans of 80's music everyday, the long hair and the leather jackets are coming back into style, hell, Ive even seen a few mullets lately, I want to help my idols once again have a high reputation among today's youth and teens.

One more thing...

UP THE MOTHER FUCKING IRONS!!![/quote]

That was a little article I wrote, Id like your opinions on it.

Well, did you ever think that some people may enjoy listening to rap, hip hop, punk etc?

Well, if you really want my sincere opinion I found it a bit too harsh...

Of course I can agree with you that, FOR MY EARS, rap, hip hop and all those kinds of music, are shiti

But also I must say that all of this "Heavy Metal is da fuckin law !!!" atitude really doesn't fit to my ideas of music too

Correct me if I am wrong, but you mentioned Edward the Great, so I guess you are kind newbie to the Iron Maiden world as well as to the Heavy Metal world, so you still carry that flame of astonishment that burnt in our hearts one day into the past.... keep on your path friend, soon you will realize that this "Heavy Metal rules" way of living isn't that clever.... also you will discover to be reaching a advanced level of liking Maiden (and metal in general) without having to care much for rap and hip hop......

Well, I am guessing, please correct me if I'm wrong

Ok ?

[!--QuoteBegin-Liberation+Nov 19 2005, 07:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Liberation @ Nov 19 2005, 07:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]That was a little article I wrote, Id like your opinions on it.
[snapback]123473[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I sincerely hope this is not up for formal assessment seeing as the line, "UP THE MOTHER FUCKING IRONS!!!" wouldn't go down well with any examination board. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Apart from that, it is well written, however there is no balance. I know from experience one must always offer the alternative viewpoint. A completely biased paper (I call them Ian Paisleys) will never get full marks.

You could for example say that music today is better because it has a lot of influences and it builds upon the successes of the past. Although you may not agree with this, it will be better for the paper as a whole.

Well I do think that your paper is biased to the bone, but I do agree with your view that most kids like crap music. I don't feel the need to get overly militant about it though (otherwise you end up like those Norwegian psychos during the early to mid 90s). I just ignore popular music and kick it out of the picture by getting good music. Simple as that. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Liberation+Nov 19 2005, 09:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Liberation @ Nov 19 2005, 09:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Id like your opinions on it.
[/quote]
No mate. I'm sure you wouldn't like mine... [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Would it somehow involve people getting hurt horribly if you expressed your opinion Mav? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Would that be gr1m and 3v1l enough for you? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Hey freedom of speech, you gr1mly kvlt pagan warrior! Go on! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Guys, Liberation is fifteen. Haven't we all had this kind of feeling at that age?

A youthful feel to preach metal down people's throats? Um... not really. [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I was into Korn at the age of 15. I'll let you guys figure out what I had to say.

At 15, that is in 1989, I was into Punk, Maiden and Beethoven, which made me pretty uncool... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Do I sound "emo" enough to you?

Seriously, Liberation. At your age it's normal to strictly identify yourself with something, only to later find out that beauty lies in diversity. Ardour is a great thing as long as it doesn't end up in narrow-mindedness [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

At 15, that is in 1986, I was into Maiden, Metallica, Zeppelin and AC/DC.

At 34, that is in 2005, I am into Maiden, Metallica, Zeppelin and AC/DC.

What was the question again?

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Nov 19 2005, 10:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Nov 19 2005, 10:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What was the question again?
[snapback]123537[/snapback]​
[/quote]Yes SMX, the question of this poll is "What were you into at 15?" [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

At 15, that is in 1979, I was waiting for Maiden to release an album. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Liberation+Nov 19 2005, 01:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Liberation @ Nov 19 2005, 01:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...put an end to all this rap, hip hop, emo and punk.
[/quote]
OK, time to be serious for a moment.

A. Hip-hop is not a form of music; it is an American subculture which started in the New York City - Philadelphia - Washington DC area in the mid to late 1970s. If all you know about the culture is the music, then you're speaking out of ignorance. It would be like someone who dislikes Italian food declaring that all Italian culture must be worthless just because the food is.

B. While much rap music is artistically worthless, the same could be said for any genre. However, there are good rappers out there who are worth listening to. For example, I am a fan of LL Cool J, KRS-ONE and Eminem. These rappers have displayed a mastery of the English language which few other people have equaled.

C. Punk is all about attitude before musical skill. Punks don't care if they're judged on the same standards as most rock, metal or pop music. Whether or not the music is any good, punk's mere existence is vitally important to the health of rock music. Punk originated in reaction to rock musicians who took themselves too seriously. It's as important to rock as a sense of humor is to an individual; without it, mental health is impossible.

D. Based on the "emo" music I've heard, I see no reason for a specific genre label. It's just rock music. I have detected no musical characteristics which separate it from other rock music. Forget about the lyrics: genres are established based on musical style. Am I missing something? Is there some musical element which is found only in "emo" music? I'll be the first to admit I haven't heard much of the stuff, so maybe I'm just uninformed.

But if "emo" musicians claim that they are distinctive because they're trying to project emotions through their lyrics: bullshit. People have been trying to do that for hundreds of years. As far as I can tell, "emo" is just rock music by musicians who are either ignorant or looking for some kind of marketing gimmick.

My overall point: it is highly inappropriate to wish for the end of a musical genre just because you don't like or understand that genre. Rap, hip-hop and punk are here to stay. If you don't like them, don't listen. "Emo" isn't a real genre in my opinion, though I invite anyone to prove me wrong.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Nov 19 2005, 08:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Nov 19 2005, 08:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] "Emo" isn't a real genre in my opinion, though I invite anyone to prove me wrong.
[snapback]123541[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I agree SMX, as it says in "the Bible as told by Microsoft" (Wikipedia), it is a sub-genre of hardcore punk.
[a href=\'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_rock\' target=\'_blank\']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_rock[/a]

I suppose this begs the question about other genres and sub genres, for example black metal. Oh no, I'm nitpicking again over someting futile.

[!--QuoteBegin-MigDaimon+Nov 19 2005, 02:36 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MigDaimon @ Nov 19 2005, 02:36 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Correct me if I am wrong, but you mentioned Edward the Great, so I guess you are kind newbie to the Iron Maiden world as well as to the Heavy Metal world
[snapback]123477[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yeah Im still quite new to Maiden, but Ive been listening to metal (Judas Priest, etc) and other rock (BTO, Boston, etc) for a long time.

Yeah I admit it is an extremely biased paper, but that was the point in the whole thing, I wanted to express my opinion on how shitty I think today's music is, by "punk" I was not referring to true punk, but rather pop-punk like Green Day, Simple Plan and Good Charlotte.

Back