True Music is Underappreciated

[!--QuoteBegin-Liberation+Nov 20 2005, 03:00 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Liberation @ Nov 20 2005, 03:00 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...Good Charlotte.
[snapback]123559[/snapback]​
[/quote]Should I take it personally? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Personally, I just can't bring myself to consider that music as punk at all...

I wish people would stop mentioning Green Day in the same breath as Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and the likes. I don't care what you think, Green Day are a good band and have been at it for about 15 years now.
They've evolved their sound quite substantially, from being little snot-nosed punks who made the genre known with Dookie, which is widely considered their Debut album even though it isn't (it's their 3rd), to actually penning something that marginally resembles an epic (the two 10 minute tracks on American Idiot).

I was a huge fan of GD and Offspring back in the day, along with all other sorts of music, ranging from rap over Korn to Sepultura/Pantera/Metallica etc., and the only band that's really stuck with me is GD. Offspring kept writing the same albums and got boring, Sepultura lost Max and got boring, Pantera lost Phil and turned into Damageplan (boooring), and we all know the story about Metallica.

Green Day are not boring, are not generic, and I'm not going to let the snot-nosed mallcore brats ruin my fun by making me go "Green Day suxx cuz thy r on MTV and that's not kvlt!".

Admittedly, most of the music I listen to is widely unknown, and that's also part of what makes it that bit better; it's "mine" and I can introduce people to something they haven't heard before rather than putting on "generic MTV mix tape no. 23567", but every so often I find that popular music CAN be good, and the "kvlt" community dismisses it because it's played back to back with all sorts of crap on MTV. Not all blondes are dumb, and not all music on MTV is commercial crap.

This turned into quite a rambling. I'll come back and edit it later if it's not completely coherent, as I'm hung over right now and can't keep my thoughts focused, but I wanted to get this off my chest [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I HATE people that call other types of music 'shit' because they dislike it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't like some types of music. I don't stab it in anyones face that what I like is supreme and what they like isnt worth the wrapper it was packaged in.
I think everyones broken the opinion rule here.

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Nov 20 2005, 07:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Nov 20 2005, 07:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think everyones broken the opinion rule here.
[snapback]123588[/snapback]​
[/quote]What about the discussion rule?
True, we should be tolerant. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes and opinions. But I prefer to discuss things and maybe try to understand my opponents and broaden my own views (or forcefully impose my views on any weaker opponent [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ).

The kind of thoughts that Liberation expressed in his paper crossed my mind when I started being a rocker (that was in the 5th, 6th grade). I was 11, or 12. Everytime I would go to a party with my classmates I would just sit in a corner, dismissing the music, calling it "crap" and all other sort of stuff. I've changed a lot since, and I consider somewhat growing up. Whenever I go to a party with music, I dance on the good songs, trying to just have a good time. And it pays off. People like me more, and believe it or not, it's important...

I now know that other music, such as techno and pop has a different meaning then rock music: it's meant to relax people, and techno music in particullar has a simmilar effect to some rock pieces, that make you head-bang: they make you dance. Both genres make you move to the groove, and the good songs make you dance/headbang even if your legs/neck can't take no more...

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Nov 20 2005, 02:23 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Nov 20 2005, 02:23 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
Green Day are not boring, are not generic, and I'm not going to let the snot-nosed mallcore brats ruin my fun by making me go "Green Day suxx cuz thy r on MTV and that's not kvlt!".
[snapback]123581[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Not the mallcore brats, but the gr1mly kvlt pagan warriors of darkness who will usurp the gr1m and frostbitten vastland of Norway with their Christ raping black metal! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

As I said, it was meant to be opinion based.

I dont hate Green Day because they're on MTV, I hate them because IMO, they dont have much talent.

I call all this emo/pop-punk/rap/hip hop "shit" because its my opinion.

Dont forget, most of these kids that are into that kinda music call Maiden and Priest and Van Halen shit all the time.

calling their music crap because they diss yours is called "sinking to their level" [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I do label some music as crap, but only after I listen to it. And usually it's got nothing to do with what genre it is. For instance, Tupac Shakur was a very good rapper who made some interesting social commentary. Most of today's rappers, such as 50 Cent, are overviolent and overracist, and I find it disgusting. But I have listened to a few of his songs before I have said that.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Nov 21 2005, 04:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Nov 21 2005, 04:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Most of today's rappers, such as 50 Cent, are overviolent and overracist, and I find it disgusting.  But I have listened to a few of his songs before I have said that.
[snapback]123650[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Violent rap eh? Has anyone seen that episode of South Park with P. Diddy? "VOTE OR DIE BITCH!!!!!" Hehe, that sure was funny...

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Nov 20 2005, 09:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Nov 20 2005, 09:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But I have listened to a few of his songs before I have said that.
[snapback]123650[/snapback]​
[/quote]

As have I, Im forced to listen to Green Day almost every single day, so Im sure Ive heard just about every single one of their songs, to listen to a rap song, just turn on the radio, so Ive heard that too.

Im glad that people have opinions that differ from mine though, creates diversity.

Ah, good old grade 9 science.

[!--QuoteBegin-Liberation+Nov 20 2005, 11:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Liberation @ Nov 20 2005, 11:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]As I said, it was meant to be opinion based.

I dont hate Green Day because they're on MTV, I hate them because IMO, they dont have much talent.

I call all this emo/pop-punk/rap/hip hop "shit" because its my opinion.

[snapback]123645[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I beg to differ, Listen to dookie and listen to American Idiot and there is a vast leap in attitude, muscicianship and lyrical depth... and dookie is a good album. All in all both took a lot of talent. as for your opinion, I hope you don't hold that very same one in 20 years or as Black Ace pointed out you'll be a very lonely person for all the wrong reasons (yes there are right reasons to be lonely).

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Nov 22 2005, 12:29 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Nov 22 2005, 12:29 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--](yes there are right reasons to be lonely).
[snapback]123693[/snapback]​
[/quote]Off topic, I know, but I'd love to know some... [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

well, being smarter/wiser than the average person usually makes you rather lonely, going against what is popular (which doesn't mean is good or right) (e.g Socrates) In which case you wouldn't care if you're lonely because you chose such condition.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Nov 22 2005, 12:51 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Nov 22 2005, 12:51 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...being smarter/wiser than the average person...
...going against what is popular...
[snapback]123695[/snapback]​
[/quote]Great reasons indeed. No need to be lonely though. Just register at Maidenfans, that works even if you're a loner [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 21 2005, 10:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 21 2005, 10:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Going against what is popular can be seen as a losing battle in some people's eyes.
[snapback]123699[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Not in the eyes of Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr. Martin Luther (reformer), and yes, i'll say it... Jesus [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 21 2005, 03:30 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 21 2005, 03:30 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Going against what is popular can be seen as a losing battle in some people's eyes.
[snapback]123699[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Who cares what other people think??? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Exactly! Leave the scared mainstream trend following sheep to rot in the crowd and walk away from them, free of fear because they only attack you because you've got the balls to be yourself and they don't.

Back