Trivial Pursuit, history edition?

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Military history:

1. What was the name of the spear used by Alexander III's forces during his legendary campaigns in Asia and Africa?
The sarissa.

2. In the United Kingdom, who was the First Lord of the Admiralty during the first eight months of World War II?
Winston Churchill

3. In which battle was Emperor Valens killed?
The Battle of Adrianople

4. What are Hutier tactics?
Mobile infantry tactics used by Germany in 1918

5. During which battle did an English king give the famous "Band of Brothers" speech, according to Shakespeare?
The Battle of Agincourt

6. Why is the year 401 important in British history?
The Romans withdrew their Legions from Britain

7. What empire was effectively destroyed at the Battle of Nihawānd?
The Sassanid Empire

Knew 1, 5, 6 and 7. Would have been more effective had you included spoiler tags, though. :P

Science and Philosophy.

1. "Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains" was said by?

Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

2. How was Petrus Abaelardus punished for heresy?

Castration.

3. Which ancient Greek scientist is best known for a remarkably accurate calculation of the circumference of Earth?

Claudius Ptolemaeus, or simply Ptolemy.

4. Benedict of Nursia supported the conservation of scientific literature for what sole purpose?

Interpretation of the Bible.

5. Aristotle determined that there is a certain number of statements you can make about any object. How many are these?

Nine: Quantity, Quality, Relation, Position, Place, Time, Status, Action and Effect.

6. What was the first formally founded university of Europe?

The University Bologna.

7. What is the earliest known culture to possess an unambiguously identified script?

The Vinca-Culture of the Balkans, which flourished ca. 6000 BC. Pieces of writing dating from ca. 8000 BC are said to have been identified in China, but this is not undisputed.

8. True or false: Medieval world maps claim the world is a disc.

False. Although such maps indeed show a disc, they were never designed to be geographically accurate, but meant to be an illustration of God's creation. Map-makers of the Middle Ages were usually clerics and/or scholars who were well aware that the world is round from ancient scientific literature.

9. Who is almost inarguably the most famous scientist of the Medieval Islamic world?

Avicenna.

10. What was Marco Polo's home town?

Venice.

I tend to disagree with the answer on question 6. What about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bologna

"The university of Bologna received a charter from Frederick I Barbarossa in 1158"
That's why I used the phrase formally founded. There have been more "wild universities" in Italy before that, but the formal foundation of Paris preceded that of Bologna and all others.

Perun said:
"The university of Bologna received a charter from Frederick I Barbarossa in 1158"
That's why I used the phrase formally founded. There have been more "wild universities" in Italy before that, but the formal foundation of Paris preceded that of Bologna and all others.

Correct me if I'm wrong "...but in the 19th century, a committee of historians led by Giosuè Carducci traced the birth of the University back to 1088, making it arguably the longest-lived university in the West."

Nothing wild about that.

Besides: where is the proof for formal foundation of the Paris university? It isn't behind Bologna for nothing on this list, is it?

"...Finally, even within the purview of European universities, there is still some minor, albeit good-natured controversy over who was really "first" on the continent. The University of Bologna, while it predates the University of Paris, was a university organized by students who then sought out tutors while the latter institution was organized by faculty who then solicited students. Some (especially at Paris) still quibble over which began as a "genuine" university, but it is generally accepted that the University of Bologna came before the University of Paris...."

I knew...3, 9, and 10.

Also.  Wikipedia is not a credible source - see rules previously established.

I stand corrected. The piece of writing I based the question on proved to be ambiguous. Will use more than one source from now on.

Remember: the purpose of this is to build a body of work.  We shouldn't spend time bickering over this question or another question.

Only one I didn't get there was 5.

The United States

1. In which war did the majority of American Revolutionary War commanders cut their combat teeth?
The Seven Years War, known as the French and Indian War in the US

2. Under what document were the United States to originally be incorporated under?
The Articles of Confederation

3. What was the Anaconda Plan?
The plan to strangle the Confederate States of America into submission, penned by Winfield Scott.

4. Who was described as "the best corps commander of the Civil War" for the Union by Ulysses S. Grant?
Winfield Scott Hancock

5. For how long was Texas an independent republic?
Appx 9 years (accept 8 and 10)

6. What Mexican general was the chief nemesis of the United States in the Mexican-American War?
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna

7. Name the two vessels that clashed at the historic Battle of Hampton Roads.
The USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia (or Merrimac)

8. Why is the CSS Hunley important in naval history?
First submarine to sink an enemy ship in combat

9. What was a "doughface"?
A Northern politician who voted with Southern tendencies, specifically with regards to slavery

Warfare, city defense

1. In which city is today's largest Roman city gate north of the Alps and what is it's name?

Trier, Porta Nigra (black gate)
200px-Trier%2C_Porta_Nigra_cityside.jpg

2. Where are the only fortified city walls in the Americas north of Mexico that still exist?

Quebec City

3. When was the last large-scale military use of catapults?

French_grenade_catapult.jpg

That was during the trench warfare of World War I. Picture shows French troops using a catapult to throw hand grenades during World War I.

4. What do the following people have in common?

Mozi
Menno van Coehoorn
Leslie Groves
John Rosworm
Pierre Charles L'Enfant
Vauban
Charles Gordon
Paul R. Smith
Vitruvius

They were famous militairy engineers

5. What was the earliest kind of siege engine (i.ow.: what was the earliest siege engine?)

The battering ram

Back