Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread)

The first half of all the solos in the game have entered the arena for the first time. On with the second half!

R1A: 17th group:
@The Mid-Distance Runner
@Sebas-hero1995
@Chazz Chetly
@FattyFooty
@skogtastic
@Natalie
@bbreeg614
@tarikz
@TheSpectreWithin
@UpTheIrons
@Startripper
@Liveone
@Zare
@Chained Prometheus
@sjsaur
@stallan
@Sara
@Ranko
@xmagox
@syriaca
@SJGamble
@dickinson1978
@Consumer Of Souls
@Ancient Mariner
@Somewhere In Life
@Naty
@Abas
@Plankton
@JudasMyGuide
@Detective Beauregard
@Heretic
@rgba

Why cut away half of Adrian's Wicker Man solo? It doesn't make any sense - and it's definitely a difference between getting my vote or not.

What? The Wicker Man is not cut.

I'm voting for The Wicker Man and Benjamin Breeg, but Starblind was very, very close.

Of course it's part of the solo. With that logic, you'd cut the first part of "Sea of Madness" after solo, because it's a repetitive melody-lead-thingy and not part of actual soloing...

I'm not convinced at all. That part in The Wicker Man appears twice, clearly intended to be just a bridge. There is no such symmetry in Sea of Madness, that you refer to. But I can see your point since it's all played in a row by Adrian.

It's very structured solo, but there's really nothing in there that signals those cuts argued here - it's spotlight on Adrian during the whole section in their live performances, and the whole part is played with his guitar up front in the mix, with same tone. And Iron Maiden is a band that's big on signaling those kind of changes - even if their song structures could be called 'proggy' they've inherited the very clear division between repeated progressions and sections straight from pop.

It's not like "Different World" where the solo is preceded by a harmony, the rhythm drops in volume and the solo guitar is boosted into the top of the mix. Nothing similar happens here, it's just one solo guitar straight through. He even improvises during the supposed "bridge" sections live, so I'm not seeing a case for these cuts - at all.

Srogy has exactly confirmed how I saw it. The beginning and end are too much like a repeating melody and indeed symmetric, to consider it as the solo itself.

Sometimes it's difficult where to draw the line, and this is not the only time.

Wicker Man & Breeg. Starblind was very close to getting a vote.

That part in Wicker Man is clearly a bridge. It repeats twice, before and after the solo and has a keen transition feel. The start of the solo clearly seperates itself from the bridge, it's a feeling that I get whenever I play the song on guitar myself.

Oh god, this is hard. I love the first Phantom solo, and the Wicker Man solo. Both stand alone extremely well and also work a treat within those songs. It's odd to hear the Wicker Man solo without the bridge because it feels like a continuation of that solo, although I do understand the reasons for leaving it out.

I've always thought of the Starblind solo as meandering and something of an anticlimax, but hearing it isolated like this, I'm a lot more impressed by it. It doesn't completely stand out distinctly, it sort of slots in with everything else going on in the background, but that works in context of the song. And Breeg's solo sounds wonderful.

I'm leaning towards Phantom and Wicker Man, but I'll have to come back to this later.

Back