Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly, nothing here really blows me away.

Went with Silent Planet because I like the way it lays with the rhythm and Killers for sheer ferocity.

This is a whole unconventional bunch of solos, isn't it? Gone for Killers and Unbeliever.

Out of the Silent Planet and The Unbeliever. In both cases - it's just Janick being great. I like how he uses pauses in OotSP - you can hear how powerful his tone and technique are every time he enters with another part of the solo. TU is fantastic - dark as the whole song.

Agree with @Brigantium and @Saapanael here. The Killers one is early Maiden at its best and the solo from The Unbeliever is so well made for the atmosphere of the song. The other two are cool, too - in DLTTEOAS the solo is the best part of the song! OOTSP gets credit for originality, a quite different one.

I think they're all very much appropriate to the songs they come from, but not overly distinctive or memorable.

None of these is a masterpiece in my book but The Unbeliever sticks out here. The solo creates a sort of a dreamy atmosphere.

The Unbeliever
Probably my favourite Janick Gers solo. Very emotional and aggressive in one of Maiden's best instrumental sections. While it's not even my favourite part (I prefer the aggressive bending and vibrato or whatever he does to make those sounds!), the ending is pretty cool when he goes higher and higher. Check that last note still going on for a while when Dave has picked it up.

Last edited:
Silent Planet is a top 10 Maiden solo for me, and I remember it was helpful in cementing my love for Maiden and metal in general.

Then Killers.

Back