Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not tremendously fond of either, really. I've gone for Wild Wind because it sounds like it has more purpose to it. The Brave New World solo is almost being smothered by the rest of the band. If it stood out more distinctly I might like it more, but as it is, it makes it sound like something of a struggle.

I have a "final four" prediction.....Dave's ATG solo, (his greatest IMO) Dave's first Powerslave solo, Adrians CSIT and SIASL solos. Janicks BB solo will just miss the final four as will Adrians WY and Daves Rhyme solo........Id love to hear some more predictions

I have a "final four" prediction.....Dave's ATG solo, (his greatest IMO) Dave's first Powerslave solo, Adrians CSIT and SIASL solos. Janicks BB solo will just miss the final four as will Adrians WY and Daves Rhyme solo........Id love to hear some more predictions

This is how my Top 4 would look like!

Tricky, both are much better when heard in context of the full song but as stand alone solos, neither one really caresses my undercarriage too much. Ill go Wild Wind, its more interesting as a solo however I prefer the whole passage of music in BNW.

Ill go Wild Wind, its more interesting as a solo however I prefer the whole passage of music in BNW.
This sounds a little odd in my ears. Why eradicate the music in the background? Do I assume wrong that you mean solo, plus everything you hear as well; basically: everything you hear in the clip in this game, when you speak of "whole passage of music"?

Alright, after all, this is about solos, but a solo is nothing without its context. A solo is made after the guitarist knows and feels to which music it fits. (Just curious: how can you know Wild Wind is more interesting to you as a solo, have you ever heard it without background?)

The instruction in this game has never been: please only listen to the solo and try to forget the music -that you hear at the same time- it belongs to.

Last edited:
This sounds a little odd in my ears. Why eradicate the music in the background? Do I assume wrong that you mean solo, plus everything you hear as well; basically: everything you hear in the clip in this game, when you speak of "whole passage of music"?

Ok so I try to listen to to solo alone and then also 'in context' and make a judgement based on that as well as how I just feel about it, its a combination. What I meant RE BNW is that when Im listening to the full song the section in the vid has much more power for me compared with the section of Wild Wind. But when just hearing the sections in the vid, Wild Wind (solo and background) sounds better to me. This may or may not make sense but then thats the 'feel' I mentioned earlier.

(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread, before you vote)

Result of round 2, 24th battle: Janick Gers' Brave New World solo (081) is eliminated. 126 advances to the 3rd round.

Round 2: 25th battle:

Back