Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, Wasting Love and Rainmaker. Solos with feeling. Interestingly enough I was just trying (and failing miserably) to play the Wasting Love solo earlier today.

Last edited:
I like them all... but I vote for The Assassin.

I dig the 1st and 3rd quarter the most in this one. Very fast stuff, but it is not as messy as one might think during a first listen. It feels like the solo actually has a certain amount of rhythm. But at the same time he clearly must have improvised, because he does things that are probably uncopyable, even by himself, especially in the 3rd. If you listen carefully with headphones, you can even hear a very short roar (like he grips a chord during a fraction of a second). The beginning of the 1st quarter sounds like the laugh of the assassin, going into a mental frenzy right after that.

NOOOOO! What have you done? Both Wasting Love and Rainmaker in the same group? :p

Anyway, do I need to say more than that? Two absolute favourites and top contenders overall. I want Rainmaker to win this tournament, by the way. It's the best Iron Maiden-solo - awesome tone, awesome flow and note choices, and such a nice ending.

Just voting for Rainmaker here. I very much enjoy Wasting Love as well, but I'd rather see Rainmaker be the one to advance of these 4.

Last 2. Wasting Love is boring and uninspired attempt to make a charting power ballad. Bad.

I want Rainmaker to win this tournament, by the way. It's the best Iron Maiden-solo - awesome tone, awesome flow and note choices, and such a nice ending.
Totally agree. When I did my original Dave Top Ten, for some reason I didn't include this lead; no idea what I was thinking! I can only think I simply overlooked it. But before this solos game started I went back & realised that it sits right up there with some of my favourite Dave solos. It's one of Dave's top leads &, in my opinion, up there with Maiden's best. I'll support anyone who thinks this is a worthy winner.

Wasting Love on the other hand? o_O
Wasting Love is boring and uninspired attempt to make a charting power ballad. Bad.
Wouldn't go this far, but you don't need to look very far for better examples of this type of lead guitar work. It's hardly stellar; even Janick's other contribution to this group is a better piece of writing, in my opinion.

That tone in 1:14, am I wrong with saying that Dave never does something like that? I love that kind of stuff.

Yes. It's not just squeeling, is it? It's that particular term I can't think of now. Janick did it more often in some of my favourite solos by him (Ghost of the Navigator, The Legacy).

Last edited:
Back