Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Paschendale. One of the most characteristic post-reunion solos. It's perfect. Just look how many times Adrian has copied parts of it :p TM and WW are good too (SL not really), but I've realised picking one is the way to go. If Paschendale won't make it out of the group it will be just wrong...

Mercenary and Paschendale.

This might look like like an unpopular opinion, but for me the Mercenary solo might be the best solo Adrian has ever played with Maiden. I get goosebumps every single time I hear it and it is the primary reason I listen to the Mercenary quite often.

Paschendale is also a fantastic solo, memorable and emotional. It has its character and works well on its own.

I am really disappointed that one of these two solos won't go through immediately, but I am pretty sure that the unlucky one will go through the phase 1B. ;)

Mercenary and Paschendale

Mercenary is one of Adrian's less known masterpieces, at least it seems to me that way.

This might look like like an unpopular opinion, but for me the Mercenary solo might be the best solo Adrian has ever played with Maiden.
Mercenary is one of Adrian's less known masterpieces, at least it seems to me that way.
Have you guys lost all sense of critical judgement?! o_O

The Mercenary is a stunningly average piece of improvised guitar work. How on earth can you guys cite this as one of Adrian's best solos &/or a masterpiece?! Weekend Warrior is vastly superior as a piece of guitar work: clean, quirky, interesting note choice; excellent execution. The Mercenary is: dripping in effects (disguising what, I ask?); dirty; the playing is phenomenally unclean (read sloppy) in comparison to WW. I'm genuinelly flabbergasted that you guys can't hear this.

Foro! There is no hope. We have failed...

The Mercenary is a stunningly average piece of improvised guitar work. How on earth can you guys cite this as one of Adrian's best solos &/or a masterpiece?! Weekend Warrior is vastly superior as a piece of guitar work: clean, quirky, interesting note choice; excellent execution. The Mercenary is: dripping in effects (disguising what, I ask?); dirty; the playing is phenomenally unclean (read sloppy) in comparison to WW. I'm genuinelly flabbergasted that you guys can't hear this.
I completely agree.

Err.. sorry mate. I voted for The Mercenary. *runs to opposite direction of Scotland* :ahhh:
There are some Janickish parts in it. Quite rare. There's some dirt, but also nice heights.

Much of Adrian's lead material sounds rough and dirty, even stuff way back from, say, SiT. That doesn't bother me because the mood of the solo together with the backing is great. Janick's WW is a cool little solo but the whole premise of it isn't as intriguing to me. Okay, he has cleaner tone and playing there but The Mercenary has a nice adrianesque sense of melody. The high bends and wide vibrato work wonders.

There are some Janickish parts in it. Quite rare. There's some dirt, but also nice heights.
Much of Adrian's lead material sounds rough and dirty, even stuff way back from, say, SiT. That doesn't bother me because the mood of the solo together with the backing is great. Janick's WW is a cool little solo but the whole premise of it isn't as intriguing to me. Okay, he has cleaner tone and playing there but The Mercenary has a nice adrianesque sense of melody. The high bends and wide vibrato work wonders.
Let's face facts: if Janick had played that, nobody would give a fuck. If you think contrary, you're kidding yourself! :down:
Respect my opinion, please.
Always! :p

The Weekend Warrior solo never was a favourite of mine (Dave's solo in that song, now that one rules). Some parts in the first half border to the annoying. Fast non-descriptive lines, which could have fit over any piece of music, and none of them ending in pleasant notes (especially in the 2nd quarter). At the end he finally does something that fits (in my ears!) better to the music.

In The Mercenary Adrian does some unusual fast stuff, with (for him) some fast runs with unexpected pauses (longer notes), and he ends well!

Back