Tournament of Iron Maiden Solos: 2nd poll (qualification stage)

Which solo do you like the most? (pick your favourite)

• 04. The Educated Fool (see 4th link)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think so, no. Dave Quest for Fire, Janick Wasting Love and Janick No More Lies are already there, and those are the lesser-known ones that jump out at me. I'm pleased to see Dave Where Eagles Dare at Ullevi is in this too.

I'm pleased to see Dave Where Eagles Dare at Ullevi is in this too.
It is nice, but I question whether it's really played that differently to the album version to require being included? Part of the thrill in watching it is that he pretty much nails it, like the album, 25 years later. That, and the footage itself. I'm not really sure if I need to see them both in there.

The footage should not be taken into account. I hope to use an audio version of it. This is an audio game, and other (moving) impressions can have impact on the main goal. Even if people will say it's not the case, I rather don't use video footage, and treat all solos equally.

The footage should not be taken into account. I hope to use an audio version of it. This is an audio game, and other (moving) impressions can have impact on the main goal. Even if people will say it's not the case, I rather don't use video footage, and treat all solos equally.
Forget the footage though. I'm just saying, if they're not radically different, do we need them both? Especially if someone (who you named) has another lead/solo they'd have liked to see included.

I rather had not seen any live solos at all, but I'm a little late with making that clear.
Indeed. Just remember, I included mine, originally, for specific reasons e.g. Janick's HBTN, because it's totally different, & played by Janick; Dave's Still Life as it's awesome & quite different from the album version; etc.

@22 The Avenue - you can listen, learn and appreciate. Or you can just cheat by going to ironmaidencommentary.com. If you look at the lyrics for individual songs, all the solos are attributed on there. :ninja:

Cried - I would use 'quirky' in the place of 'butcher'.
ahh thanks for referring me to ironmaidencommentary. That is exactly what I'm looking for. A time stamp and a name associated with each solo.
The amount of work put into ironmaidencommentary is impressive. Kudos to all involved with that site.

ahh thanks for referring me to ironmaidencommentary. That is exactly what I'm looking for. A time stamp and a name associated with each solo.
The amount of work put into ironmaidencommentary is impressive. Kudos to all involved with that site.

Quite a few of the contributors are regulars here!

It's still a while before this game starts but preparations are underway. I decided to do a little qualification game, in order to have the final contestant.

Please take your pick (one vote):
01. Strange World (0:42 - 1:28)
02. Mother Russia (3.37 - 4:00)
03. The Educated Fool (3:56 - 4:15)

Neat! Gotta go with 03. The Educated Fool!

Strange World is well-composed, but a bit simplistic and amateurish, whereas Mother Russia is kind of an improvised mess.

Fool is so good. The way a handful of notes come in just a split second after you expect them.
Definitely needs to be in this.

I really love all these solos. I went for Strange World. It may sound simple and slow but it fits so well with the pace. There's lots of melody involved and the playing between 1:10 and 1:15 really did it for me.

Last edited:
The previous poll had a clear winner: Dennis Stratton's solo from Strange World qualifies for the main game!

Going through all the solos, I noticed another error. An ex-member (Moon Child) counted both Dave Murray solos in SSOASS as one. I decided to let the forum decide which of these following can qualify (I also added the other two from the previous poll).

Please take your pick (one vote):
01. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1st solo) (7:05 - 7:26)
02. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (2nd solo) (7:38 - 7:48)
03. Mother Russia (3.37 - 4:00)
04. The Educated Fool (3:56 - 4:15)

You mean that melody or one of the Adrian Smith solos later on? The first Adrian solo is featured in the game.

Back