Top 5 Reasons Janick Gers is Still a Member of Iron Maiden

Ardius said:
Don't you mean 3? Or are No Prayer or Fear of the Dark so bad that they don't exist anymore?   :p

Oops. Right. I did forget about FotD when I wrote that. Odd, given that I think NPFTD is much worse.
The Ides of March said:
Hallowed is a sacred song and if he is gonna play a solo is should be closer to Adrians.

There's no such thing as a "sacred" song. Any artist is free to interpret any song as they like - all the more so when it's their own song. You may not like it, but you have no right to say what someone should or should not play.

At the risk of prolonging this tired thread...

Shadow said:
I can easily think of a dozen songs by Gers I like better than "Wasted Years".

I was playing Liar's Dice on Saturday, so I guess I'm still in that frame of mind:  I call "bullshit."  Let's have it!  (I'll give you Ghost of the Navigator, one of my favorites.) 

Note:  I was never a huge fan of Wasted Years until I saw it live last year on the SBIT tour.  Awesome. 

Unfortunately for you, he said that he liked a dozen Gers' songs better than Wasted Years, not that there are a dozen Gers' songs that are better than WY.  :bigsmile:

[Derailing]

Wasted Years is really growing on me. the lyrics really speak to me know that I'm in my mid 20s

[/Derailing]

According to the IMC average rankings, the following Gers songs are rated higher than Wasted Years:

The Edge of Darkness - 4.78
Dream of Mirrors - 4.76
The Aftermath - 4.74
The Legacy - 4.59
Ghost of the Navigator - 4.47
Man on the Edge - 4.30
Dance of Death - 4.29

All good songs, but not good as Wasted Years. Not even remote.

cornfedhick said:
I was playing Liar's Dice on Saturday, so I guess I'm still in that frame of mind:  I call "bullshit."  Let's have it!  (I'll give you Ghost of the Navigator, one of my favorites.) 

You win. I can only think of eleven:

"Lord of the Flies"
"Look for the Truth"
"The Aftermath"
"The Edge of Darkness"
"The Unbeliever"
"Ghost of the Navigator"
"Dream of Mirrors"
"Out of the Silent Planet"
"Dance of Death"
"The Pilgrim"
"The Legacy"

Zare said:

He's using data to show there are Gers songs MANY people put above Wasted Years. You are using personal opinion... While I share your opinion, facts are facts.

Zare said:

Yeah, what Onhell said.  I don't make the numbers up, I just tabulate them.  Those are factual ratings.

Onhell said:
He's using data to show there are Gers songs MANY people put above Wasted Years. You are using personal opinion... While I share your opinion, facts are facts.
Well, MANY opinions are still opinions, not facts, so that basically doesn't prove anything, IMO.

No, many opinions form data. saying "many opinions are still opinions" is like saying, "the big bang theory is JUST a theory." No it is NOT just a theory just like data is NOT just opinions.

Hold on.  Zare, what I posted was a consensus.  So, while it is a consensus of opinions, yes, it is still an "agreement" of sorts.  The data's not perfect and surely could have been manipulated.  But it's still there.

The ratings are from between 1200 and 2000 votes on the IMC, right?  So it's a consensus of fans, many of whom have voted on many of the songs.  It's better than saying "I think", I can say, "According to a fairly random sampling of IM fans..."

You are free to disagree - that's what opinions are about.  But the plurality of recorded opinions show those songs as having a higher average rating.

gulranek said:
Well, MANY opinions are still opinions, not facts, so that basically doesn't prove anything, IMO.
What Onhell was stating was that it is a fact that many peoples opinions have given us this set of data, not that many peoples opinions are fact.

And of opinions, it is my opinion that Janick is the best songwriter of the three guitarists (only just a shade above H, mind).*

*See Shadow's post for more details. ;)

Those data form a calculation of opinions. The result of these votings: It is a fact that so many people voted for certain songs.

Personally I never paid too much attention to those rankings and I wonder how easily these figures can be cheated (to vote more times with different computers).

Myself I find it difficult to choose who is the best songwriter of the amigoes. For many years I'd say Janick because Adrian didn't come up with anything truly fantastic between 1989 and 2002 (Dave and Janick are the ones who shine om BNW). But in this decade, H improved his songwriting image a lot, especially since AMOLAD.

Dave co-wrote one of my favourite songs Deja-vu.

Now let some of them sit together and see what new might come.

I'm a hippie Buddhist. I like them all three. I don't want to choose a favourite. Each of the three has written at least one of my favourite songs and played at least one of my favourite solos, and that's good enough for me.

Enough of this. Who's going to fly over from Europe and see the band with me in Florida? I'm providing room and board.

The ratings are from between 1200 and 2000 votes on the IMC, right?  So it's a consensus of fans, many of whom have voted on many of the songs.  It's better than saying "I think", I can say, "According to a fairly random sampling of IM fans..."

You are free to disagree - that's what opinions are about.  But the plurality of recorded opinions show those songs as having a higher average rating.

Ah, i forgot i even posted here.

Well, i'm pretty much certain that Wasted Years is better. Reasons?

- Adrian Smith wrote the music
- Adrian Smith wrote the lyrics
- Adrian Smith plays the solo
- It's on Somewhere In Time

Beat that.  :D

Man On The Edge, The Aftermath and The Edge Of Darkness were all on the X Factor. That`s enough to beat all the four reasons.

Back