Top 10 Iron Maiden song intros

Siddharth

Long Distance Trooper
Now don't look at me like that! Someone had to do it.

10. The Prophecy - Magnificent intro! Though the song overall works more as a link to the final song in it's album but the clean opening sequence is just dreamy.

9. Another Life - Killers (album) is a total rock n' roll riff train but the song I went for starts with a brief drum solo (Mike Portnoy's favourite by Maiden!) similar to Where Eagles Dare, and the guitar licks that ensue are really majestic.

8. Death Of The Celts - How I would differentiate between the intros from The X Factor to A Matter Of Life And Death and then the following albums is that, the later can be considered as songs on their own very right. Celts has a very unique one for that matter.

7. Ghost Of The Navigator - Even though it basically has the guitar parts of the chorus in clean tuning but the atmosphere it creates is just awesome.

6. The Pilgrim - I've already sung praises for this song, how it opens with drum parts which screams more hip-hop than metal but its just the cherry on top as the harmonies that follow totally does it for me.

5. Wasted Years - Picking the best intro from Somewhere In Time was the toughest. But you just can't go wrong with the iconic guitar licks in the opening of this song, specially the tone that sets it apart and how it captures the overall vibe of the entire album.

4. Fear Of The Dark - One would be fooling if they try to deny it's legendary status. The intro creates a really cool atmosphere and the spookiness, the band was going for. There aren't several songs which can make the entire crowed sing it's intro!

3. The Number Of The Beast - The spoken intro followed by the guitars and vocals, creates a really haunting atmosphere. Perfectly displays Bruce's charisma as a 'storyteller' vocalist.

2. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Love the clean guitar parts with added bells effect and quiet vocals and when the entire band joins for the gallop, it is one of my favourite moments by the band!

1. The Trooper - For me, one of the best riffs by not only Maiden but Metal in general. The galloping harmony that the dual guitars create, followed by the hammer-ons. Just love it!

Last edited:
1) Aces High
2) Hallowed Be Thy Name
3) Powerslave
4) Caught Somewhere In Time
5) Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
6) The Trooper
7) The Clairvoyant
8) Two Minutes To Midnight
9) Run To The Hills
10) For The Greater Good Of God

No order. Based on my Maiden listening this year

Caught Somwhere in Time
Sign of the Cross
If Eternity Should Fail
Alexander the Great
Book of Souls
Hallowed
Talisman
Benjamin Breeg
Dance of Death
Parchment

Hmm, this is an interesting one. I'd love to hear people's opinions like @Siddharth did, rather than just see a list. What do you define as an intro, everything before the lyrics?

In no particular order, the first ten that come to mind when I think "good Maiden intro" now:

The Evil That Men Do
Wasted Years
Lord of the Flies
Phantom of the Opera
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Empire of the Clouds
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Infinite Dreams
Run Silent Run Deep (I really think the whole song and the riff in particular are underrated)

What do you define as an intro, everything before the lyrics?
Well if you ask me, the style of intros may vary, specially in case of Maiden.

There can be intros with vocals on them like The Number Of The Beast, Fear Of The Dark or Dream Of Mirrors.

Again, there are intros with notable opening riffs/parts that differentiate them from the rest of the song - Phantom Of The Opera, The Trooper, Aces High, Paschendale etc.

It can just have the opening riff as it is like in 2 Minutes To Midnight, Iron Maiden, Caught Somewhere In Time or The Wicker Man.

Many reunion songs have basically the main lick in different tuning (mostly in clean tuning) in the intro - Ghost Of The Navigator and These Colours Don't Run, where you recognize when the actual song kicks in and the intro is over.

I don't really like Lost In A Lost World, but I think it has a lovely intro.
Also Great Unknown and especially(!) Hell on Earth.

Two Minutes to Midnight comes in like a beautiful sledgehammer.
The Clairvoyant glides in like beautiful silk.

Most importantly pretty much the entire back half of The Final Frontier. Beginning with the haunting, ancient feel of Avalon followed by the mystic atmospherics of Starblind and the doomed nautical vibe of Talisman. Then there’s the ethereal timeless beauty of The Man Who Would Be King into and lastly the tragic, emotional buildup of Wild Winds.

Run Silent Run Deep (I really think the whole song and the riff in particular are underrated)
Yeah, the opening sounds like something Metallica would have written during ...And Justice For All sessions!
Most importantly pretty much the entire back half of The Final Frontier. Beginning with the haunting, ancient feel of Avalon followed by the mystic atmospherics of Starblind and the doomed nautical vibe of Talisman. Then there’s the ethereal timeless beauty of The Man Who Would Be King into and lastly the tragic, emotional buildup of Wild Winds.
The Final Frontier does have some really good intros. The Talisman almost made it to my list as well! The 'blowing wind' effect in the opening of When The Wild Wind Blows and how the guitars play the vocal melodies is really cool.

Just ten...ouch, ok I'm gonna give it a try

Murders in the rue Morgue: while I'm not of a fan of the whole song, the calm intro is just magic, it really sets a certain kind of atmosphere that unfortunately totally disappears after that

The number of the beast
: the spoken intro followed by that great riff with Bruce's voice that really fits into the mood of the song and then that huge scream before the song "starts, is just awesome

Hallowed be thy name: is there something that needs to be said about this calm intro? It doesn't get any better than this!

To tame a land
: once again, I'm going to repeat myself a lot but I love these calm melodies and then the electric riff that comes just before Bruce starts to sing, it makes you really feel like you're in some kind of desert in a movie

Aces High: when I started playing guitar, this was probably one of the things I was really forward to may be able to play, again is there something that needed to be said, it just screams perfection

Powerslave: Well, that eerie intro and then Nicko's drum roll, I think it really fits with the atmosphere of the song (and it's just a sacrilege that in the 1998 reissues, this was put at the end of Back in the village!!!!)

Caught somewhere in time: the melody of the calm part is just amazing and once the song actually starts, it stays on the same level. Really happy I finally managed to witness this one live!

Stranger in a strange land: just bass and drums and a quite "basic" but it just works great...and then comes one of the best riffs in the whole MAiden catalogue...perfection...yes, once again

Seventh son of a seventh son
: I've always been a fan of classical music and more on the dramatic side of it (Wagner music comes to mind) and with this song, this intro really reminds me of that. I always dreamt of seeing it played live with a full orchestra

Mother Russia: kinda of 7th son part II but what else can I say, I love these kind of majestic intros

Seems like I've already ten songs...Gonna have to stop here even if there are a lot more

This is a very difficult task for me because Maiden are just too good with the intros, but I will choose the ones that have the biggest impact on me, not the ones I think are the best or best for the respective songs.

10.The Wicker Man - my only riffy intro on the list. I chose it because for me it's the perfect way to start a show. Love it in RIR '01.
9.When The Wild Wind Blows - the storytelling vibe it creates is just fantastic.
8.Wasting Love - twin guitar harmony for an intro is always great. The melody is beautiful.
7.Face In The Sand/Look For The Truth - long melodic intros is what Maiden do best. Idk what it is, but there is something haunting yet hopeful in this melody. It's special./the melancholic vibe is too good to resist.
6.Ghost Of The Navigator - one of Maiden's best intro melodies. It somehow screams Reunion!
5.Death Of The Celts - I like Celtic melodies a lot, like Steve.
4.Caught Somewhere In Time - the futuristic sound is unique.
3.Brave New World - always will be one of the best and most impactful intros with vocals for me. Love it.
2.The Parchment - I love Egyptian melodies and the intro sounds majestic.
1.Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger - the melancholic melody evokes some special memories for me and that's just amazing.

And I left out so many other great ones. My other favorites:
Prowler
Running Free
Phantom Of The Opera

Killers

Children Of The Damned
Prisoner
22 Acacia Avenue
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Trooper
To Tame A Land

Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Flash Of The Blade
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Heaven Can Wait
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Deja-Vu
Alexander The Great

The Evil That Men Do
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Prophecy
Clairvoyant

No Prayer For The Dying
Run Silent Run Deep

Be Quick Or Be Dead
Childhood's End
Judas Be My Guide
Fear Of The Dark

Sign Of The Cross
2 A.M.

Futureal
Clansman
The Educated Fool

Blood Brothers
Out Of The Silent Planet

No More Lies
Paschendale
Journeyman

Pilgrim
Longest Day
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
For The Greater Good Of God
Lord Of Light
The Legacy

Isle Of Avalon
Talisman
The Man Who Would Be King

If Eternity Should Fail
The Great Unknown
The Red And The Black

Senjutsu
Stratego
The Writing On The Wall
Lost In A Lost World
Hell On Earth

This is a very difficult task for me because Maiden are just too good with the intros, but I will choose the ones that have the biggest impact on me, not the ones I think are the best or best for the respective songs.

10.The Wicker Man - my only riffy intro on the list. I chose it because for me it's the perfect way to start a show. Love it in RIR '01.
9.When The Wild Wind Blows - the storytelling vibe it creates is just fantastic.
8.Wasting Love - twin guitar harmony for an intro is always great. The melody is beautiful.
7.Face In The Sand/Look For The Truth - long melodic intros is what Maiden do best. Idk what it is, but there is something haunting yet hopeful in this melody. It's special./the melancholic vibe is too good to resist.
6.Ghost Of The Navigator - one of Maiden's best intro melodies. It somehow screams Reunion!
5.Death Of The Celts - I like Celtic melodies a lot, like Steve.
4.Caught Somewhere In Time - the futuristic sound is unique.
3.Brave New World - always will be one of the best and most impactful intros with vocals for me. Love it.
2.The Parchment - I love Egyptian melodies and the intro sounds majestic.
1.Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger - the melancholic melody evokes some special memories for me and that's just amazing.

And I left out so many other great ones. My other favorites:
Prowler
Running Free
Phantom Of The Opera

Killers

Children Of The Damned
Prisoner
22 Acacia Avenue
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Trooper
To Tame A Land

Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Flash Of The Blade
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Heaven Can Wait
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Deja-Vu
Alexander The Great

The Evil That Men Do
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Prophecy
Clairvoyant

No Prayer For The Dying
Run Silent Run Deep

Be Quick Or Be Dead
Childhood's End
Judas Be My Guide
Fear Of The Dark

Sign Of The Cross
2 A.M.

Futureal
Clansman
The Educated Fool

Blood Brothers
Out Of The Silent Planet

No More Lies
Paschendale
Journeyman

Pilgrim
Longest Day
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
For The Greater Good Of God
Lord Of Light
The Legacy

Isle Of Avalon
Talisman
The Man Who Would Be King

If Eternity Should Fail
The Great Unknown
The Red And The Black

Senjutsu
Stratego
The Writing On The Wall
Lost In A Lost World
Hell On Earth
All the damned discography man! :lol:

In No particular order
  1. Prowler
  2. Innocent Exile
  3. Killers
  4. Wrathchild
  5. Murders in the Rue Morgue
  6. The Prisoner
  7. Die with your Boots On
  8. Back in the Village
  9. Aces High
  10. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Honorable Mentions:

Be Quick or Be dead
Dance of Death
Run Silent Run Deep
The Fugitive
To Tame a Land

This song has it's huge issues and all, but the intro definitely isn't one of them! Good pick, I agree that it's a fantastic intro and very good part altogether. I really like it!

Deja Vu, anyone?

The intro just creates a dreamscape of it's own and not to mention the riff that follows after the 30 seconds mark is one of the best Maiden riffs, a very underrated track overall.

Similarly, I can't believe, I actually left The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (my fav Maiden song!) from the list. The intro sounds so triumphant and if you compare the theme to the short story it is based on, it gives a unique feeling. The 'Somewhere In Time guitar tone' is just everything!

Really like Run To The Hills intro as well. Just iconic.

Blood On The World's Hands !! For a long time I felt that the intro was unnecessarily long but after again giving it a proper listen, I must say, it is one of their most unique intros. Really like Steve's run on Bass and the overall atmosphere. Works even more better live.

This one is difficult because there are sooo many good ones to choose. And it's not even the slow and brooding intros, which makes it even more difficult, but I'll try to find the first ten that come into my mind in chronological order. If you ask me in a month the list would probably look completely different. I tried to stay with as few songs per album as possible:

Murders In The Rue Morgue: I'm not a big fan of Killers. In fact, it's my least favorite Maiden album. I'm not even a big fan of this song since everything after the intro is not really my style. But that intro, damn. I absolutely adore the bass line with the natural harmonics and it's something I regularly play on bass to this day. It's a ton of fun to play and it sounds fantastic as well. Modern Maiden would've taken the song in a very different direction after an intro like that and I can't help but wonder how it would've sounded.

Die With Your Boots On: The guitar riff in the intro of this song is rather unique for Maiden. Usually they either have pure rhythmic riffs (The Trooper, 2 Minutes To Midnight, The Wicker Man), pure leads (Public Enema Number One, Wasting Love, The Alchemist) or one rhythm and one lead guitar. In this one they play melodic harmonized riffs in the style that would become popular in Swedish melodic death metal (Gothenburg bands like In Flames) and metalcore. The pedal note stays on E instead of moving with the chord changes, the riff itself is still fun though.

Deja Vu: This is the typical Murray intro and it's one of the most iconic ones. Used to have this one as my morning alarm for a year or two lol. The slow melodic intro is mezmerizing, the twin leads right after with the rapid drum rhythm get the blood pumping.

The Evil That Men Do: We all love harmonized leads, but sometimes it's enough to take a beatiful melody, play it in octaves and just let the listener soak it in. Paired with SSOASS's production it creates this amazing atmosphere and I can't get enough.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: I just had to include the title track as well. It's genuinely epic and quite a departure from the way most long songs by Steve are written.

The Assassin: The song itself gets worse the longer it goes on, but the intro is phenomenal. I absolutely love it and it's a shame that the rest (particularly the chorus) don't live up to the promise.
(Shout out to No Prayer For The Dying. While the concept of clean rhythm guitar with distorted lead isn't anything unique in Maiden's catalogue, the melody itself is great and the entire song is rather unique for a title track.)

Childhood's End: Similar reasoning to TETMD. Great melodies, both in the actual intro and the instrumental chorus. FOTD's production helps a lot in building the atmosphere.
(Runner up was Afraid To Shoot Strangers with its changing keys and slow tempo giving the entire thing a hypnotic and dreamy feeling.)

Futureal: One of the most energetic intros in a Maiden song. It wastes absolutely no time and no wonder, it's the shortest Maiden track since Wrathchild. I particularly enjoy the live versions of Blaze's solo band where they introduced a harmony making it even better.

Ghost Of The Navigator: I count everything up to the distorted riff as the intro. The build up is perfect, the suspended chords set the scene and with each section the song keeps building up the energy.

Stratego: I wasn't the biggest fan of the rockers on TBOS and TWOTW isn't my favorite either, so when Stratego hit with it's infectious melodies, up tempo pacing and galloping drums I immediately loved it. A breath of fresh air from modern Maiden.

The intro in Still Life has a seperate fanbase ;) Once it gets past the spoken part, the clean guitar licks backed by melodic leads, with Bruce's vocals on top is beautiful!

Also, strangely enough but the intro to Fear Is The Key sounds like it could easily fit in Senjutsu. Really a standout compared to the rest of the album (the title-track and Afraid To Shoot Strangers are also in the same vein though).

Back