3. Vicarious
4. Parabol/Parabola
5. The Pot
6. Ænima
7. Forty Six & 2
8. Schism
9. Invincible
10. Stinkfist

This is a tough choice. I'm gonna listen to both songs back-to-back one more time before I make my final decision.

Oh man, I don't know anymore. I just relistened to both of them and liked The Grudge more than previously and Lateralus less than before.

I would take any other song in the top 10 over these two except 46 & 2.

Like Master of Puppets and Hallowed, Lateralus started as a favourite and slowly got buried under other songs as I listened to Tool more and more. These songs leave in me the semi-stale taste, like a fraction of what you got the first time.

This also happened to The Grudge, but I already found it's charm again, and I will stay true to my current opinions.

Like Master of Puppets and Hallowed, Lateralus started as a favourite and slowly got buried under other songs as I listened to Tool more and more. These songs leave in me the semi-stale taste, like a fraction of what you got the first time.

This also happened to The Grudge, but I already found it's charm again, and I will stay true to my current opinions.
I'm in agreement here. For a good long while Lateralus was my favorite song, but I kind of grew out of it a little bit and at this moment right now it seems that I actually prefer The Grudge. My opinion is very likely to change again over time, but for now I've got to give Lateralus the vote.

At the end of the day, I think The Grudge is a perfect Tool song that manages to sound like Tool while still sounding a little different to their other material.

Laterus is the apex of Tool’s pretentiousness and a perfect culmination of their style, musicianship, but also sounds consistently like Tool.

I think they are a perfect top two (now that The Pot is gone anyway), but my favorite is the former because it feels more organic.

I love both of these songs but I gave my vote to Lateralus because The Grudge mixes things up a bit more. Both really capture Tool's dynamic style and use of odd time signatures, though.

It seems like the underdog will take the cake. Interesting. I went with The Grudge to make it a bit more even.

Eliminated:
Lateralus

MAIDENFANS TOOL TOP TEN 2020
1. The Grudge
2. Lateralus
3. Vicarious
4. Parabol/Parabola
5. The Pot
6. Ænima
7. Forty Six & 2
8. Schism
9. Invincible
10. Stinkfist

Let's compare that to the previous Tool survivor from 2014
1. Ænima
2. Schism
3. Forty Six & 2
4. Lateralus
5. Sober
6. Parabol/Parabola
7. Stinkfist
8. The Grudge
9. H.
10. Vicarious

Rankings

Opiate
1. Opiate
2. Sweat
2. Jerk Off
4. Hush
4. Part of Me
6. Cold and Ugly

Undertow
1. Sober
2. Prison Sex
3. Intolerance
4. Undertow
5. Flood
5. Crawl Away
7. Bottom
7. Swamp Song
9. 4 Degrees
10. Disgustipated

Ænima
1. Ænima
2. Forty Six & 2
3. Stinkfist
4. H.
5. Eulogy
5. Pushit
7. Hooker With a Penis
8. Jimmy
9. Third Eye

Lateralus
1. The Grudge
2. Lateralus
3. Parabol/Parabola
4. Schism
5. The Patient
6. Dispostion/Reflection/Triad
7. Ticks & Leeches

10,000 Days
1. Vicarious
2. The Pot
3. Wings For Marie/10,000 Days
4. Jambi
5. Right in Two
6. Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)/Rosetta Stoned
6. Intension

Fear Inoculum

1. Invincible
2. Descending
3. Fear Inoculum
4. Pneuma
5. 7empest
6. Culling Voices
7. Chocolate Chip Trip

We definitely came up with some interesting results. I'm not completely satisfied. My favorite song was voted out long ago. However I'm very glad to see Invincible in the top ten.

Here is my personal top ten I reranked a couple days ago.
1. Third Eye
2. Lateralus
3. Forty Six & 2
4. Pneuma
5. Invincible
6. Disposition/Reflection/Triad
7. Right in Two
8. Pushit
9. Jambi
10. Descending

Overall, I am satisfied. The Grudge and Laterus are in my personal top five and The Pot made it into the top five (would be my number 1). The only songs that don't belong in the Top Ten are Invincible and Stinkfist.

Back