Some horror thing.
Imprisoning someone on an island.
The mistreatment of a whore.
Self-explanatory
Treating the Indians like shit.
Mafia dealings.
End of the world.
Death penalty.

Okay, never mind it is a stretch. Well, it all made perfect sense in my head! :p

I would say 22 isn't "mistreatment" either. If you look at the lyrics it starts out with very much a "You'd love my friend Charlotte, she's very friendly" and turns into more of a "I'm worried, Why on earth do you do it?" as if he has grown rather fond of her in another way.

Somewhere in Time is possibly a theme, but the other 2? No.

Invaders: Mostly viking related at a guess, or any invading horder
Children of the Damned: If I recall it's something to do with a horror film?
The Prisoner: TV series about someone who knew too much being imprisoned on an island
22 Acacia Avenue: Prostitute's
The Number of the Beast: A Nightmare and the movie Damien: Omen II
Run to the Hills: American Indians
Gangland: Hmm.. Mafia?
Total Eclipse: Eclipse
Hallowed be thy Name: Last thoughts of a condemned man.

Aces High: World War 2 dogfights.
2 Minutes to Midnight: Mankind poised on the brink of annihilation via nuclear war.
Losfer Words: Nothing
Flash of the Blade: Fencing and Swords
The Duelists: Ye olde duels.
Back in the Village: The Prisoner part 2.
Powerslave: Death of an Egyptian Pharoah
Rime of the Ancient Mariner: A poem about a sea-farer who learns a lesson.

There is no connection other than between title track and cover, which is pretty standard.
:)

Ok i understand now, i was thinking more about the Cover art concept rather than the individual songs as such, ie Powerslave song had the powerslave artwork, rather than having different artwork with no related songs :)

Ah, don't worry about it heh. The word theme could be interpreted that way certainly, such as TFF has a space themed cover. The original post asked for "type of songs" as well so I am guessing that he is meaning a unifying theme for the album, such as all of A Matter of Life and Death's song are war related. Some sort of connection between each song.

I don't think albums NEED a theme at all, and most theme's have been done to death by multiple artists. However, in spirit of the topic...

Personally I'm a fan of mythology but there are other bands that devote entire catalogues to that type of thing, and whilst I think Maiden are a better band, I think it's harder to make as strong an album overall without dedicating more time to it. For instance (as much as most don't like it) Manowar's Gods of War album has a few orchestral pieces and spoken word sections to tie the album together - and that is something I don't think would suit Maiden. If Maiden were to do a themed/concept/story album in that more extreme manner, I would expect it to result more along the lines of Priest's Nostradamus album, but even that I'm not sure I can imagine working for Maiden. So, if they did something mythology based, I wouldn't expect it all on a single one (i.e all Norse or all Celtic etc) but a mixture of them all... although theres not enough varities to make each track on a different one, and what the hell would you call it?

A full on Norse album COULD work but it would likely end up very heavy on the epics like TFF. Hmm... maybe less about Norse mythology and just Vikings in general. Then you could have some tracks on the worship of the gods etc, some on viking invasions (better versions of invaders) in general, some on the voyages across the sea's etc.

A track on Ragnarok would be awesome, but it'd have to be damn long as there's so many events involved.

I would like to see a conceptual album again focusing on global issues. More specifically to do with the relevant figures on the planet who have an influence on important topics such as peace, climate, finance, welfare, poverty and the influence of technology on the world and it's next generations. Looking at things from those people's point of view and whether they question their decisions morally or for their own personal gain. Probably something quite dark and gloomy but with the usual killer riffs of course. Maybe bordering on controversial but with mountains of scope for great lyrical ideas and to prove that IM have the ability to really make relevant points about the present as well as they have written about the past. I know there are things that have been touched on before but this being a full on concept album, no lighthearted singles.

Alternatively they could find all the things preceded by 'The' that haven't been used so far. The Butcher, The Candlestick Maker, The Pharmacist, The Watchmaker, The Newsagent, The Weatherman, The Publican, The Greengrocer, etc...;)

I would say 22 isn't "mistreatment" either. If you look at the lyrics it starts out with very much a "You'd love my friend Charlotte, she's very friendly" and turns into more of a "I'm worried, Why on earth do you do it?" as if he has grown rather fond of her in another way.

I thought he was worried about her because she was a prosty, and prosties don't get treated well.

Though I do think I read too much into all of this. :lol:

I thought he was worried about her because she was a prosty, and prosties don't get treated well.

Though I do think I read too much into all of this. :lol:

Perfectly logical thought tbh, and probably part the concern at the end. The whole song is rather contrasting due to the start (and the last little verse) being more of an encouragement.

I don't see them doing another entirely themed album like AMOLAD.

If you're talking about artwork, I can envision Eddie in the front of a boardroom about to go medieval on some suits. Either that or an Atlantis theme as others have suggested. Anything as long as they don't come anywhere near the monstrosity that was the DoD album cover.

20209153.jpg

Back