Themes for Next Album?

Cody Cameron

Godzilla Freak
Hey guys, so I've heard some rumors that after this Maiden England Tour, Iron Maiden will be getting started on their 16th (possibly last album). If that is the case, what themes or types of songs would you like to see included on this album? Would you like to see more traditional Maiden themes or have them go into more unexplored territory in their song writing abilities?

I quite like the direction, at present. Either way, I don't think there's any (in my opinion) going back to shorter, simpler tracks. They did some on DoD, but they weren't really a feature of either AMoLaD or TFF. I'd like a return to more prominent solo/lead work though. And I'd like to hear a better tone from Adrian & Janick in this respect too. That aside, I think their latest album material has been very good. Adrian casually mentioned some writing "next year" in that recent interview (I think). It would be sweet if they actually took to the studio before the (anticipated) European leg of Maiden England; I doubt it though. Hopefully there's still two more studio albums left in them. Who knows.

Hey guys, so I've heard some rumors that after this Maiden England Tour, Iron Maiden will be getting started on their 16th (possibly last album). If that is the case, what themes or types of songs would you like to see included on this album? Would you like to see more traditional Maiden themes or have them go into more unexplored territory in their song writing abilities?

It is always possibly the last Album, Dickinson was messing with you the last time by having the album called 'The Final Frontier' I can't believe that people don't get it yet? :) Maiden will continue making music until they drop like The Rolling Stones, they may slow ie long intro's etc, but they will never announce something is to be there last album, I know this from a member of the organisition, Maiden can't just make all there employees redundant by not making another album etc, it is a business and you just don't decide to stop without implications !!

Anyway for the next album I would like them to do an 'Under water' themed album, i dunno Rime Of The Deep Sea Diver' lol, or the undiscovered world under the sea, have Eddie as a big sea monster !! :)

True. I doubt they're going to announce "this is the last", & then release it. At some point a couple of years will pass from the previous album; a few years will become 3-4 years; & finally the gap will be very great & we'll all realise they'll just not be another album...

True. I doubt they're going to announce "this is the last", & then release it. At some point a couple of years will pass from the previous album; a few years will become 3-4 years; & finally the gap will be very great & we'll all realise they'll just not be another album...

Totally agree it just ain't Rock And Roll to announce a last album, they don't do Pop or Tabloid maagazines like 'Hello' for photo shoots or need to have a shock headline to sell an album or tour !! :)

I'd like to see them mix it up with some long epic 6-8 minute songs (Benjamin Breeg, Dance of Death, etc.) and some shorter ones (Wildest Dreams, From Here to Eternity, etc.). One things I'd like to see is a horror themed track like they used to do with Phantom of the Opera, Murders in the Rue Morgue, and other earlier stuff. But one theme they have not done yet is a western themed song (like an outlaw). Wouldn't it be cool to see Eddie dressed up as some bad-ass gunslinger from hell?

Anyway for the next album I would like them to do an 'Under water' themed album, i dunno Rime Of The Deep Sea Diver' lol, or the undiscovered world under the sea, have Eddie as a big sea monster !! :)

First thing to come to mind when reading that was Atlantis. I also thought of U-Boats, but then there's been Run Silent Run Deep, and from Bruce's solo material Dive Dive Dive! I like the idea (esp the eddie bit) but there's only so much available.

Other than that though, I don't think a theme is necessary. AMOLAD was WaR themed and so in a way can be called a concept album, SSOASS was ofc a concept album, but I can't really say the rest have a theme at all.

What did you have in mind? Like a special song for that occassion? That sounds rather unlikely.

On Eddie: we've had him as Clint Eastwood --what more do you want!? :D

In regard to the mention of Breeg --structurally (& even riff wise) it's really simple (despite what I mentioned earlier); but so effective. Listening to it at Donnington (available online) it's always struck me as excellent sounding. I wonder why it didn't stick (to the live setlist) a little longer.

I'd like an H. P. Lovecraft or Tolkien themed song. Steve must have read both, I'd hazard a guess. Zep. & Metallica did it; if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for Maiden. Would be amusing if nothing else... (--& they've already done Dune.)

First thing to come to mind when reading that was Atlantis. I also thought of U-Boats, but then there's been Run Silent Run Deep, and from Bruce's solo material Dive Dive Dive! I like the idea (esp the eddie bit) but there's only so much available.

Other than that though, I don't think a theme is necessary. AMOLAD was WaR themed and so in a way can be called a concept album, SSOASS was ofc a concept album, but I can't really say the rest have a theme at all.

Somewhere In Time ?
No. Beast ?
Powerslave ?

:)

I'd like to see them mix it up with some long epic 6-8 minute songs (Benjamin Breeg, Dance of Death, etc.) and some shorter ones (Wildest Dreams, From Here to Eternity, etc.). One things I'd like to see is a horror themed track like they used to do with Phantom of the Opera, Murders in the Rue Morgue, and other earlier stuff. But one theme they have not done yet is a western themed song (like an outlaw). Wouldn't it be cool to see Eddie dressed up as some bad-ass gunslinger from hell?

That would be great like the Stranger In A Strange land cover art :)

Iron Maiden does a Meatloaf, Number Of The Beast Part 2 (because we can't think of anything new and original so are trying to sell records on past glories) ?

Somewhere In Time ?
No. Beast ?
Powerslave ?

Somewhere in Time is possibly a theme, but the other 2? No.

Invaders: Mostly viking related at a guess, or any invading horder
Children of the Damned: If I recall it's something to do with a horror film?
The Prisoner: TV series about someone who knew too much being imprisoned on an island
22 Acacia Avenue: Prostitute's
The Number of the Beast: A Nightmare and the movie Damien: Omen II
Run to the Hills: American Indians
Gangland: Hmm.. Mafia?
Total Eclipse: Eclipse
Hallowed be thy Name: Last thoughts of a condemned man.

Aces High: World War 2 dogfights.
2 Minutes to Midnight: Mankind poised on the brink of annihilation via nuclear war.
Losfer Words: Nothing
Flash of the Blade: Fencing and Swords
The Duelists: Ye olde duels.
Back in the Village: The Prisoner part 2.
Powerslave: Death of an Egyptian Pharoah
Rime of the Ancient Mariner: A poem about a sea-farer who learns a lesson.

There is no connection other than between title track and cover, which is pretty standard.

Back