Themes for new Maiden album

Alexander the Great lyrics...to much use of the word "called". Called Macedonia, called Alexander. Makes me cringe a bit like when I first heard Quest for Fire. Remember I bought Piece of Mind back when it was released. I love Maiden. I've always loved Maiden. Practically got run out of junior high school for loving them (and ozzy) it was the 80's. DuranDuran and Spandau Ballet were like rap is now. They have a lot of deluded fans. But Maiden has written more consistently than any other band from my youth. Even Rush. I'm reliving my childhood through my son. He's 9 and discovered Maiden on his own with the Final Frontier. When did Crue or the Scorps come out with anything fresh? They might go out and tour and might even sound good ( if it's not lipsinced ) but Maiden never stopped writing their OWN music. They know how to party without killing themselves. I hope to see them for many more years. I can forgive them if one out of 155 songs takes a second to grow on me.

Music always comes first for me. Lyrics won't make me dislike a song, if anything they'll make me like it more.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.

I think Alexander would make a strong instrumental if you took the lyrics away.

Blaze could be a little montonous too and Bruce Bruce could concentrate on the highnotes more than jumping around when he's video taped for a mass release. I hate it if I can't play five seconds of something for some wigger wannabe and they still refuse to be blown away or my wife wrinkles her nose at Bruce Dickensons voice. Just sayin...nobody's perfect but noone is closer than Iron Maiden. They rule live. Live albums don't do them justice.

I couldn't agree more with that statement.

I think Alexander would make a strong instrumental if you took the lyrics away.
I remember reading an interview with Bruce from when SIT was still in the writing stages. He said there was no epic on the album but they did have an instrumental, I've always thought that the instrumental was Alex and they just decided to build a song around it. It does sound a bit tacked on in that way.

That sounds about right to me. I don't see any other song on that album that could pass as an instrumental. I wonder why they decided to change it?

When did the Scorps come out with anything fresh? [...] Maiden never stopped writing their OWN music. They know how to party without killing themselves.

Absolutely.. I mean they haven't written anything since Hurricane, right!?!

18 studio albums, the last of which was in 2010 just like TFF. They released less during the 80's than Maiden but from 1988 to present they have had precisely the same number of albums. So I assume that counts as 'fresh'. It's definitely their OWN music, and as far as I'm aware they haven't killed themselves. If you wish to declare fresh as being more varied.. Moment of Glory and Eye II Eye are pretty different.

That little rant seemed more aimed at convincing us that you are a 'true' Maiden fan as if someone was making the serious suggestion that disliking one song makes that untrue - however, to me, it's shown more of an ignorance :/

o_O I thought we were talking about Alex The Great. What inspired all the rants about Maiden and Scorpions? I'm confused.

That sounds about right to me. I don't see any other song on that album that could pass as an instrumental. I wonder why they decided to change it?
I imagine they felt the album needed the traditional epic. I don't mind, the buildup to the instrumental section is awesome.

I guess I'll have to sample this Scorpion music of which you speak. I wasn't aware they had put all this out. I didn't mention I spent a lot of time in Iraq the last ten years and only bought Dance of Death cd in the past 15. I've been forced to catch up on a lot. I wish I was still 16. I had friends to party with not a whole army of douchebags I don't have the option of walking away from. Im not crying about your harsh tack. Just sayin...I haven't had anyone cool to hang out with besides a couple stepsons (who are now in their 30's) since 1992. The only reason I'm chatting is to dredge up a Maiden fan in driving distance for when Trooper hits the states so I'm not drinking it alone. I will enjoy it alone tho. Sucks to be someone other than me.

Oh yea, me too. The start of the instrumental section is one of my favorite Maiden moments.

The only thing that sucks for me is losing my hair. I'm glad Eddie can keep my shaved head fashionable but I really miss the long hair-jean jacket-bell bottom jeans. Maybe I should start a nostalgia thread. * grabs his Fosters premium ale tester can and heads outside for a smoke* this beer sucks

Back