The X Factor & Virtual XI

TFF

Invader
I have finally given both of them full listens and decided that they are really awesome  :edmetal:. I didnt give them a chance before as bruce was not on them but they are among the best. Also being a huge fan of Janick I love his solo's on the albums and think that they are among some of the best he has played. I must say though the albums do sound "empty" if you will with only two guitars but no the less they are above average  :shred: I cant decide which one i prefer to listen to so I will call it a tie and say both are even.

My question is what do you guys think of these two albums and which one do you prefer?

As I have said many times, I prefer Virtual, but both are great albums.

My favourite is the X Factor, it really is a great bunch of songs, never cared much for VXI in the past but more recently my opinion has become more favourable.

Yes. The X Factor is awesome from start to finish, while VXI sometimes lacks awesomeness with songs like TAATG & DLTTEOAS.

Virtual XI is a very good album, The X Factor is better, great. I'd give TXF 5 stars out of 5 and VIX 4 stars out of 5.

I love The X Factor, it's one of my favorite post 88 Maiden albums.

I pull out Virtual XI once a year or so to see whether it's as bad I remember it being and it always is.  The only Maiden album I can't listen to all the way through.

TFF said:
I must say though the albums do sound "empty" if you will with only two guitars but no the less they are above average  :shred:
Only two guitars? :huh:
Hmm... I guess you must think all the albums before 2000 sound "empty"

I agree that the production sounds empty, but it isn't the guitars. Believe it or not, it's the production.

I've never been a fan of Blaze, but I like the X Factor quite a bit.  Some of Maiden's best lyrics are on this album, and I really dig the "dark" mood of the album.

I think that Virtual XI has some very good (and criminally overlooked) guitar work and a few catchy bits, but the lyrics are spotty. The album is near the bottom of the Maiden catalog, in my opinion. Futureal and The Clansman are the only things saving it from being the flaming shit wagon that No Prayer for the Dying is.

Mosh said:
I agree that the production sounds empty, but it isn't the guitars. Believe it or not, it's the production.

After a few more listens, I now realize that it isn't the guitars, it is in fact the production. while the production isn't the best but it is still a good album  :edmetal:

PS. Thanks for correcting me on this  ;)

I also cannot stand Blaze but the x factor is a good album writing and music wise.  I have been listening to it a lot more myself lately.  Amen to virtual being at the bottom of the Maiden catalog.

Back