The Trooper

How good is The Trooper on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'The Trooper'

Maverick said:
Can't everyone live in peace, even in Northern Ireland?
No. "Show no mercy and expect none." Looks like a vicious circle to me.

Isn't this antagonism what keeps Northern Ireland alive? Just like Israel and Palestine, the Basque Country or the whole Balkan? Without all this, nobody would care for them...

*deep sigh*

Maverick said:
Personally, I don't really like the way they use Eddie to promote hatred. Can't everyone live in peace, even in Northern Ireland?  :huh:

Even in NI?  Here is one of the perfect examples of unmitigated and unrelenting sectarian/religious hatred in the world.  And even if religion was destroyed, the sects would still hate each other-it's that ingrained, and frankly it makes me sick.  People in my generation are growing up to hate 'the other side' for no better reason than 'They took our land', 'They beat us at the Boyne' etc. etc.  Boo-fucking-hoo.  If we all started harbouring hatred over invaders and defeats, most of Europe would tear itself apart.  England would have to hate the Swedes, Norse, Danes, Germans, Italians and French (well, more than they may already :p).   

And don't even get me started on the marches-full-scale riots have broken out because a group of up-themselves Orange men had to divert 200 yards around a Catholic street.  And that was only last year. :angry:

Conor: This is the mural I was talking about, found it in your link, http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/bibdbs/murals/slide4.htm#4
I didn't know there were more Eddie murals than this one, till I looked at the site you linked to. I wonder why Eddie? Is there an Iron maiden fan high up in the loyalist management?

About the NI troubles: I left there in 1973 with my family when I was 5. At that time there was a lot of bombs going off, My Dad and sister would have been blown up in a bookstore except for a courtesy call telling everyone to get out, a bomb is about to go off. I suppose that is the one redeeming feature about Irish terrorism compared to Arab, at least warnings were given to sometimes minimize civilan casualties. So the next day my Dad went to the Canadian consulate and off we went. technically I would be considered a protestant, although my parents never attend church and neither do I. They brought me up to be neutral and fair minded about the issues in NI, so I consider myself to be an impartial observer, but I am still interested in the "homeland" so I still observe, and have visited many times.

Some observations:
The cycle of hatred will continue there until the us and them attitude is toned down. It is hard to change someones attitude when they are in their 20's or 30's or older. What needs to be done is change the next generation's attitude.
I noticed when I visit there and talk to some of my cousins in high scool or recently graduated that they went to school with only protestants, and don't know any catholics. They had a low opinion of catholics, even though they did not know any. I am sure that young catholics feel the same way about protestants. The young people learn the bigotry from the older people from their "side", with no, or next to no contact from the people they are learning to despise to show them they are not that way. Conor or Silky you could help me here but the way school works there is that the catholics typically go to a catholic school, and the protestants go to what we in Canada & the USA would call a public school, right? And since the catholics go to their own school everone at the public school winds up being protestants so it might as well be called protestant school? If the kids were integrated and grew up having friends, if only school friends, from the opposite religion they would be more tolerant as adults. Some of my wiser and more tolerant relatives there realize this. Maybe they are biased but they say the biggest stumbling block to this integration is that the catholic church insists on catholic schools.

On the bright side, the troubles seem to have cooled down a lot, seems to be mostly hardliners from each side going after each other now. I think a big factor behind this is that attitudes are changing now, blowing up buildings and targeting civilians is not acceptable anymore by reasonable people. The economic tear that the republic is on is a factor too, I think. In the past when NI catholics had a legitimate complaint of discrimination going to the republic with it's backward economy was not an economically viable move. But now, the lack of discrimination, (or a lot less of it anyway) and the option of going south to get a great paying job tends to keep the ordinary people from becoming desperate enough to start rioting, or joining paramilitaries. Even some of my proddy cousins work in Dublin because of the jobs available there, money talks!

To me the paramilitaries on either side are similar to the ones we have here in Canada, here we call them "Hell's Angels". Here there is no nationalist or loyalist feelings in the mix, but the same behavoir: controlling the drug industry, gun running, hammering other criminal organisations that try to move into their turf, etc... Even if the sectarian troubles end in NI, these organisation will continue to exist and carry on their "business", same as most places in the world. But at least if they lose their loyalist/nationalist sympathisers they will find that their business is harder to carry out.

My wife and I went to Dublin for a few days on one of our visits, in 2000. it is a great city, we loved it and we still talk sometimes about moving there, even though my relatives are the north. We are used to having a big cosmopolitan city nearby (Vancouver), and also the low taxes and lack of sectarian trouble would draw us to Dublin.

upuaut

I just saw "The Charge Of The Light Brigade", the very film of which fragments were used in the clip of The Trooper.

I finally know why Steve put these two lines in the song:

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through

7911.jpeg

CHARGE%20OF%20LIGHT%20BEL.JPG

brigade3.jpg

He must have seen this film!
:)

BTW: Over 200 horses were killed during filming, resulting in the US Congress passing new laws to protect animals used in motion pictures.  :blink:

Forostar said:
BTW: Over 200 horses were killed during filming, resulting in the US Congress passing new laws to protect animals used in motion pictures.  :blink:
I have to admit, I do find the clips used in The Trooper a little disturbing. Quite right that the laws where changed as a result of this. You can't simply have a whole herd of animals killed - for entertainment.

The Beast, Run to the Hills and The Trooper...

The most overplayed and overrated Maiden songs. Almost everyone knows those three, and when someone says "my favorite songs are The Trooper, Run to the Hills and The Number of the Beast", it just makes me wanna punch those guys in the face :D

They're not bad songs, but not so great either. The Trooper has no doubt one of the best guitar riffs and solos ever, but still I don't think this is the best Maiden song, not at all. A legendary song with great guitars, suffers from overplaying. 3.5/5

Perfect song, a beast of a song and the reason I'm a Maiden fan. We should all bow down to this great track, as far as I'm concerned a Maiden show isn't complete without this one.

pandora0816 said:
Life must be prada puresed hardy clothes  understood fake louis vuittontrue religion jeans saleand gas, and the blind pursuit of some kind will appear weak, when the domineering tyrant a tyrant had to,ed hardy clothing  that you have to learn the body of a hawk in doves wings, the eagles wings, the body of a dove, both will soar also friendly and polite; but no gas will be vested in the people, people will true religion jeans turn away from the. A talent, a lack of courage is not. Have loyalty, but can not fendi handbags forget upright authentic louis vuittonuprightness true religion is the life of this. Of course,ed hardy bags  nine gas are available, more perfect.

:bigsurprise:

Daily Song: The Trooper

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Trooper!

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

How can you not love this song? This is the ultimate Iron Maiden gallop, combined with deep vocals from Bruce, powerful, simple lyrics, and a double (and later triple) axe attack that should leave you headless. Incredible. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Trooper

Might be an overplayed song, but it's also a damn excellent song, and hasn't lost a bit of it's raw power. Deserves a 10.

6/10. Never been a fan of this song, apart from the solo. The lyrics don't hit home enough and don't suit the melody. I find the chorus annoying and the melody too repetative.

I want to be a bit restrictive when giving out 10s. This song has so much energy, though, that it simply demands one of them. Together with Aces High the ultimate short, fast Maiden song. Compared to these two, all other songs in the same category are bleak.

10/10.

This song is one of maidens most famous and unlike run to the hills, it doesn't suck. Its full of energy and is very in your face. Classc solos and an awesome performance by bruce. The riff is absolutely timeless and one of the greatest and most well known heavy metal riffs. Nicko and steve also give a quality peformance.

10/10

Wish they would have played this live this year instead of wrathchild or number of the beast. This song really gets the fans going

7/10 - I really like this song, but there are also much better songs by Maiden. It may be one of Maiden's signature tunes with great solos from Smith and Murray, I just love the way they connect to one another. Anyway, this is a live staple that I don't mind hearing over and over again. Being objective, the negative side is that the arrangement repeats itself (3x intro melody+verse+ooooooh plus the solos after the second verse). Damn, should have given it at least an 8. Oh well...

Another one of those songs that I am sick of but will listen to it occasionally as it's much better than Run to the Hills or The Number of the Beast IMO. It does have a great riff and fantastic solos, but I still can only give it an 8/10.

I struggled with this one. On the Number of the Beast thread someone said that song should get a 10 just for being The Number of the Beast. The same could be said for the Trooper. In many ways, it is the signature Maiden song — the gallop, the energy, the atmosphere, the performances and the amazing way the lyrics bring it all together. My respect for it is enormous. The passion however has faded a touch and that shouldn’t happen with a classic. I don’t want to give 10s like cougars hand out phone numbers at a Def Leppard concert. Probably for the first time since I heard the song, nine.

Back