The Talisman

How good is The Talisman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Talisman

Best song on the album, and one of my favorites. Fantastic lyrics and drumming. I like Bruce's vocals on this one, maybe they are monotone but not annoying IMO (Foro ;) ). 10/10.

P.S. This song somehow reminds of Iced Earth's Dracula. Both songs start with acoustic introduction, then speed up and are fast paced until the solos, then speed up again. Both Bruce and Matt sing very high notes during verses. Also, in both songs, chorus appears only twice. But... Dracula > The Talisman.

10. I didn't find this song very special before, but now I love it.

Starts off a little bit like The Legacy and then has a sort of Ghost of Navigator feel to it. That said, I love this track - 9/10.

7/10. Maybe this one just hasn't grown on me enough yet, but it's not anything too special to my ears. Not to say that I dislike it, but it's not an album favourite.

I still stick to my older view.
I like it a tiny better (and I'm sure I'll tolerate it when I see it live) but I can't understand why so many people are raving about it.

A low 5.

No no, Dance of Death and Virtual XI have several. And one 4 for "Chains of Misery".

Easily maiden's worst epic. Nothing really special here and it repeats itself a lot. The Westward part shows Bruce's range but isn't that good. I like the guitar bit before the chorus but that's about it. 6/10

Loosey, thanks for that tag. Fuck, I'm really fucking things up here.  :S

8. Great intro with Bruce telling a story that really makes me create a movie in my mind as the lyricism is so vivid. The song is merciless and it really puts you on that ship with all the escapees from an apparent dictatorial regime from some African or Eastern country; great melodies and great Bruce singing, specially on the chorus, which is really remarkable. The instrumental section really depicts sonically a tormenta, raging sea sprays and the struggle of the crew to overcome that horror. Live, it gets much better.

I wonder why I got 5 kicks in the last 2/3 weeks - for low ratings on crap AMOLAD epics, the same old reasons like having opinion for good or bad, or because some missed me for being away for some weeks? Probably, all options.

Now, I noticed I got a sixth kick and is it because I gave 10 to Mother Of Mercy? Only deaf ears can't perceive classic Maiden in that hymn. :edmetal:

This one has grown on me a lot. It tells a great story through lyrics and music... but I'm not sure if I can actually relate to that story. That is something only time will tell. In any case, I think it's a great song (despite Foro's claims of repetition, which I can't really see). 8/10.

9/10, fantastic story and great work by Bruce.

The best from TFF live - the intro is just incredbile.

'The Talisman' is one of the best songs (second best) from the album. It has the best chorus and the verses make me go crazy (Bruce is awesome throughout the song). Admittedly, the intro is too long, but that blemish does not stop me from giving the song a 10/10 rating.

The Talisman follows  on from a pair of cerebral and musically complex, proggy epics and whilst more straightforward it does contain great riffs and harmonies, beats by Nicko that add to the tale and masterful storytelling by the air raid siren. I love this song, it excites me...a solo from each guitarist would have been the icing on the cake. Not as musically intricate as the preceding songs but the excitement it conjures inside me warrants a 10.

Perun said:
... Foro's claims of repetition, which I can't really see).

My negative take does not only come from repetition. There is the unoriginality aspect that drags it down especially.

Dream of Mirrors, Fortunes of War, these songs have these same gallop in their mid parts, and this effort doesn't feel much different. Just worse. The gallops in those other songs sound better to me, but in this song it's overdone. Way too long in the same rhythm and tempo. So, apart from the annoying tones Bruce sings, the repetition and unoriginality, there's also overkill... If only some awesome melody would counterbalance these negative impressions, and to be honest, the following phrases do that to a certain extent:

No, there's no one going back
No, there's not a second chance
As we strap onto the side
We pray to God that we don't die

+

Spirits, sails, they drive us on
Through the all consuming waves
Cold mortality, no weapon
Against these ever raging seas

+

Holding on for our dear lives
And we're praying once again
Rotten luck or just jonahed?
The talisman is in my hand

+

Weary limbs fatigued away
I have no life left in me
No more strength and nothing left to give
Must find the will to live

Never thought that we could make it
Truly sight of shores divine
The sickness I am dying from
Never wanted it to end this way

I like these parts. These and the solo dragged the grade up to a 5.

Lyrically it can be seen as Ghost of the Navigator part 2, but when I compare it musically, this is mostprobably the blandest thing Maiden has ever come up with. Even the music of Chains of Misery I find better (that song gets a lower grade for more annoying vocals).

I think I should play this song more and more because I it could be a big grower for me. With me, lyrics often sink in a bit later, so I might develop more interest in these as well. I liked the song less last year, so who knows. :)

Back