The saving graces of Virtual XI

A

Anonymous

I've been listening to Virtual XI a bit recently, because i've found two other songs that save it from total vomit inducing-ness (other than the obvious Clansman [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), and these are Lightning Strikes Twice and When Two Worlds Collide. Really, do listen to those two again; they're not completely noticeable at first because they're sandwiched between total atrocities (The Angel and the Gambler and The Educated Fool). I've only just heard them because I couldn't stand to listen to any more the first time I bought it.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I like the Clansman ( I prefer Bruces version in RiR), but the other songs are really bad....

You think so? Shame. I loved them.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Futureal, The Clansman, The Angel And The Gambler, Lightning Strikes Twice, and Como Estais Amigos are all great songs. The rest are okay.

The Clansman is obviously the best song on this album. I mean, come on. But all the other songs have merits. I personally REALLY like The Educated Fool. I think the lyrics are amazing. The Angel and the Gambler is too long, but I still enjoy it on occasion. Como Estais Amigo...wow. Once again, amazing lyrics, and maybe the tune isn't the best Maiden's come out with, but it fits the lyrics perfectly.

I still think Dont look to the eyes of the stranger is awesome, followed by Clansman, educated fool, Como ...........

over all i rated the Album as pretty good the Album i cant stand is no prayer for the dying which is is vomit apart from Running silent Running deep and Mother Russia

ohh by the way Just got my hundred post woohoo

I think it's an okay album, but it's to cut down (although the angel and the gambler is not.. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]), no i mean it's a little to much made to fit people who has never been listened to maiden before; easy listened, to little maiden.

I personally like The Educated Fool, I don't think it's an atrocity at all.

IMHO i think that Virtual XI is better than The X Factor, i really like Futureal, Lightening strikes twice, The clansman, When 2 worlds collide, The educated fool, Dont look to the eyes of a stranger and the sweet Como estais amigos i think the solo in that song is simple but stil awesome.... I played that song in a contest in my school... won a 2nd place by hand of Maiden [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Djaser+Feb 27 2004, 08:16 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Djaser @ Feb 27 2004, 08:16 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I like The Educated Fool and Como Estais Amigo to.

Conclussion 6/8 songs are good; great album. [/quote]
What he said

SandMaN said:
I like the Clansman ( I prefer Bruces version in RiR), but the other songs are really bad....

Fully endorsed.
Some of the songs flirt with greatness and end up as crushing disappointments! And I don't give a fuck what anyone says Blaze is fucking awful on VXI. In a way I'm happy it sucked so hard as, I think the vast majority of Maiden fans decided enough was enough and the demands to bring back Bruce got loud enough for the band to actually listen.

Oh really?

First of all, Blaze didn't suck on VXI, he did the job right, his voice perfectly matches the record. Yes, i prefer Bruce and i think he would do better job live on some of VXI songs, but Blaze excelled. And i'm sorry to say, but your last statement is bullshit. They never dumped Blaze because of popular demand, they parted ways with him because he couldn't tour. And touring is the most important thing to them. They would have parted ways with him regardless of Bruce.

If you really think that someone (Steve Harris), who is looked upon in the rock community as a staple of band integrity, would listen to any external "demand", you're way off track. He put an slow, progressive 11 minute classic metal track to open a record, in a world where metal bands were desperately trying to induce new elements to their music, to satisfy a change in scene, deliberately distance themselves from earlier work, seeking to retain at least some popularity. He spat his hate in Virus. He put an highly-repetitive 7 minute song as a lead single of VXI to show them he doesn't really care.

If you think he'd listen to your opinion about Blaze, you're dead wrong.
The sound and themes of today's Maiden, a band 36 years old, a band that fills stadiums all around the world playing new material, started with Blaze Bayley and The X Factor. If you support what they've been doing for the last 11 years, you should appreciate Blaze's role in the whole process.

Habberdasher said:
Another way of looking at it is that no one has come up with anything good to say about Virtual XI in seven years!
Hmm, I though I said plenty of good things about that album. Guess not. :(

And great post, Zare.

Back