The Running thread

How you do those runs? You put your stopwatch at 30’ and record the distance you’ll make?

You need to follow some kind of structured training in order to achieve that. If you want to do it relatively easy, you should do strides for a long period of time, say 6 months, then try again.

”You run comfortably fast for 150 -200m then walking or slow jogging 100m and on again” Repeat x 30. After 6 months (probably quite less than that) you’ll achieve a PB!

Check this post and video. Also the video(s) below.

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding my running, it tends to be determined by how much time I have available when I take a break from working from home (25-30 minutes tends to be the usual) and the good old-fashioned “how I feel on the day”. The latter is probably the reason I ran 11.2 km in 50 minutes last year. I felt good and, like Forrest Gump, I kept on running. :lol:

I had to travel extensively during last 3 weeks and while I managed to do my runs 95% of the time, I messed with my nutrition plus with the mother of all routines: stretching!

Planning was what saved my runs as I was looking carefully from the day before where I could run in a new city, but as I was everyday in a new environment I was forgetting to do my stretching most of the times.

Result was pain during my runs since I came back, kind of pre-injury stage. During my weekend sessions, I had to “warm up” for 5 km so I could run without feeling the pain.
The only cure for that is to take some rest, but since I don’t have the luxury to rest too much at this stage of my preparation, I started massage sessions in a massage parlor of blind masseurs (common in China) who are typically very strong.

After 4 days in a row sessions and endless pain, I feel it’s getting better. Today was rest Monday and tomorrow I’m taking it off, even from massage. I’ll have one more off on Thursday as I’ll be driving and see how it will go for my Saturday intervals and Sunday long run.

On good news, I run for first time in Beijing, in Tien An Men square obligatory run -a terrible place for that purpose- and a beautiful beautiful park -Sun (Chaoyang) Park not too far from there. 5k loop but inside the trees and greatly maintained track path. Next time I’ll do the Olympic Park which is ginormous next to it! I think I’ll make a trip to Beijing just to run there for a weekend.

IMG_0226.jpeg IMG_0310.jpeg IMG_0232.jpeg

I had some good news from my physio a few days ago. He said my leg was getting stronger and I should be back running by the end of the year.

Pre-covid I was running a sub 25 minute 5k most weeks at park run. Basically all that sitting during lockdowns weakened my hip and core muscles. I tried to push through the pain but ended up getting injured. It’s been two years of discomfort but things are starting to get better!

I had some good news from my physio a few days ago. He said my leg was getting stronger and I should be back running by the end of the year.

Pre-covid I was running a sub 25 minute 5k most weeks at park run. Basically all that sitting during lockdowns weakened my hip and core muscles. I tried to push through the pain but ended up getting injured. It’s been two years of discomfort but things are starting to get better!

Happy to hear that!

This is a great thread. I used to do track and field in high school, now I just walk my dog lol. I recently saw this video on running which I found quite interesting:

When I did track I was taught the Nike heal-toe technique and to this day I run like that. I found it interesting that there really is no "right" technique and you're just trading one set of injuries for another. All I know is I don't miss split shins anymore.

This is a great thread. I used to do track and field in high school, now I just walk my dog lol. I recently saw this video on running which I found quite interesting:

When I did track I was taught the Nike heal-toe technique and to this day I run like that. I found it interesting that there really is no "right" technique and you're just trading one set of injuries for another. All I know is I don't miss split shins anymore.

Great video, it outlines the history of jogging and shoes evolution from the late 60s to today; the roles of Bowermann & Prefontaine and importance of ASICS & Nike brands.
There’s one more brand that played a huge role to the max cushioned area we’re in: Hoka One One. They were the first brand to really offer ~15 years ago the monsters of cushioning we are so accustomed to today and all brands are offering.

From Wikipedia:
The company was founded by Nicolas Mermoud and Jean-Luc Diard, former Salomon employees, in 2009, when they sought to design a shoe that allowed them to run downhill faster, and created a model with an oversized outsole that had more cushion than other running shoes at the time. The shoes are named after the Māori language phrase loosely meaning "fly over the earth".

The shoes were initially embraced by ultramarathon runners due to their enhanced cushion and inherent stability; however, they quickly gained popularity among other runners for offering maximum cushion and minimal weight. The brand's original, highest-cushion models are now accompanied in the Hoka lineup by lighter-weight shoes that retain much of the brand's signature cushion, and even lightweight training and racing shoes and track spikes.

I never ever run with Adidas shoes

Never say never! Not only I bought Adidas, not only the flagship running shoes model, but I'm planning to race them for the 24k, August 27th.
I liked the innovation i.e. rods instead of plate, cooperation with Continental tyres, plus they are fairly comfortable.
I did 25k in them up to now and I plan to do at least 25 more before the race so to get used to them for good.

Adidas Adizero Adios Pro 3 -Race shoes, 25km.
Adios.jpeg

I now have everything I need for the next few months and up to Marathon build up, end of November:

ASICS Superblast -Easy & Tempo runs shoes, 103km.
Superblast.jpeg

ASICS Gel Nimbus 25 -Long runs shoes, 70km.
Nimbus.jpeg

Also about to retire but still using: ASICS NovaBlast 3 -I keep them for the gym i.e. treadmill, 785km & Nike Air Zoom Tempo Next % -Tempo runs shoes, 768km, Nike Pegasus Trail 2 GTX -Train run shoes, 461km.

Checked my Strava facts and noticed that it's the first time in 2 years that I have such a long trending up in my fitness (fig.1), usually the pattern was very steep progress for max 2 months and then long declines.

Unlike other times, I wasn't too hurry to increase my VO2max either. Once I took on my structured training for the 24k, it stayed unchanged for 2 months at 47 (fig.2) before starting increasing from July 19, onwards (fig.3). And this was when the pain on my right foot started. For about 2 weeks I could raise my right foot with great difficulty, I guess too much travelling, driving, few sleep took their toll on my feet.

But I didn't stop my training. Second half of July I was literally limping, pace was reduced a bit, but still I didn't stop. The whole month of July I only lost 4 sessions. From 30 July onwards, my foot started to be better, it hasn't fully recovered yet but it's much better.

Last but not least, I went out for my Sunday long run, the last before my Annual Leave and I found a new running partner! We'll run a 10k at 5:40 pace on Tuesday and meet back in September when I'll be back. Such a great timing! All good :)

fitness.jpeg IMG_0434.jpeg July running diary.jpeg

Half Marathon Personal Best :cool:

The race date was getting closer and I've chosen to fly to Greece a Thursday (cross fit day) so I don't interrupt my running routine. Friday morning I was running with an old mate, then I drove to the mountain village that I had planned to spend current week.

Sunday was the big day, the longest of long runs before the 24k on August 27th. As per my training plan I had to run a 18.5km at 6:15min/km pace but I said what the heck let's run a few kilometres more and do the half marathon.

And so I did and broke my previous PB by nearly 10! minutes. My PB now is 2h12m which is expected to go down even further by more than 15 minutes on August 27.

Elevation gain +510m /Second half elevation gain +329m /First half pace 6:29 /Second half pace 5:59
Believe it or not the most difficult part was during first part when I was running on the endless 7km *downhill*, I got desperate as I thought I’d have to walk on my way back...
The reality was easier I even increased the pace by 0:30min/km as I run that massive uphill.

Yesterday I registered myself for Shanghai & Nanjing Marathons (both on November 26, both require lottery) to be sure and asked an Ultramarathoner to coach me in order to achieve a sub 4 hours time. Which would be quite an achievement for a first Marathon.

IMG_0545.jpeg IMG_0549.jpeg
IMG_0567.jpeg IMG_0550.jpeg

I did not realise we had a running thread!

I have been getting back into running using the NHS Couch to 5K app since late June. Before this, I ran very regularly, but had not ran at all since injuring myself in the Cambridge Half Marathon in early March.

Before injury I had finished the HM in just under 2 hours, had a 10K time of around 54 minutes and had a 5K in the range of 24-25 minutes on a good day. Starting again from 0 has been very humbling! The fastest I have done a 5K since has been in 28 minutes, and I have yet to get back to the same distances as before.

As for VO2 max, I didn't track it before as I didn't have a garmin but it's presently at 38, up from 35 when I restarted running.

Before injury I had finished the HM in just under 2 hours, had a 10K time of around 54 minutes and had a 5K in the range of 24-25 minutes on a good day. Starting again from 0 has been very humbling! The fastest I have done a 5K since has been in 28 minutes, and I have yet to get back to the same distances as before.

It's very difficult to start again and takes time to find the previous fitness. I peaked December 2021 with a 48:50 for a 10k then a small injury, Shanghai lock downs, extensive travelling +quarantine it took me 1 1/2 year (-->here) and 2 running partners to be back on top form.

Speaking of which, having a running partner is hugely important; as it's hard to keep motivation in the long term if you are running casually without a specific goal for the next 3-4 months.

Thanks to my running partners I've been able to get on my feet again (I was unable to run a straight 2km distance in January -lack of motivation) up to May. And thanks to planning to race, I managed to keep the momentum when the second running partner left China end of May.
I wish you can find a training partner quickly! Or you can be part of a running club there are plenty in UK.

As for VO2 max, I didn't track it before as I didn't have a garmin but it's presently at 38, up from 35 when I restarted running.

I don't think it's so low, just that if the watch is new, it will take time to adjust. My guess given your stated previous and current times would be ~41.
Which Garmin did you buy?

It's very difficult to start again and takes time to find the previous fitness. I peaked December 2021 with a 48:50 for a 10k then a small injury, Shanghai lock downs, extensive travelling +quarantine it took me 1 1/2 year (-->here) and 2 running partners to be back on top form.
I still have a long way to go on getting close to my previous volume (let alone speed) but I am trying to increase it in a sensible way. The current weather in the UK isn't helping either. :bigsmile:
Speaking of which, having a running partner is hugely important; as it's hard to keep motivation in the long term if you are running casually without a specific goal for the next 3-4 months.

Thanks to my running partners I've been able to get on my feet again (I was unable to run a straight 2km distance in January -lack of motivation) up to May. And thanks to planning to race, I managed to keep the momentum when the second running partner left China end of May.
I wish you can find a training partner quickly! Or you can be part of a running club there are plenty in UK.
I am fairly happy running with or without people, as I have a nice pair of Aftershokz and use that time for music. I will be investigating the parkrun and local running clubs at my new employment though!
I don't think it's so low, just that if the watch is new, it will take time to adjust. My guess given your stated previous and current times would be ~41.
I don't mind it being low so much - it means I get to enjoy it increasing more often!
Which Garmin did you buy?
It's an old Forerunner 55 that I was given by a friend when she upgraded to a newer model.

I had a really good run this morning - my second 10km run since returning from injury. The progression in stats in only two weeks is really satisfying:

Time: 1:08:35 -> 1:02:33
HR: 171bpm ->168bpm
Cadence: 165spm -> 170spm

Today's playlist was Time (ELO album), followed by a couple of Maiden songs (The Red and the Black, Shadows of the Valley).

Great stuff, keep up!

I arrived yesterday in the mountain plateau (820m elevation) where the race will take place next Sunday. Will stay here the whole week. I did the road with my car to get the feel for the uphills and downhills of the race. Scary.

Today I will do the last long run just a very easy 12km at the time that race will start, 17:30 to get the feel of temperature and how my body reacts when running after lunch.

From tomorrow I will follow the Astrand protocol which consists of not eating carbs for 3 days in combination with exercise and then 3 days eating many carbs with no exercise.

Let’s see how it goes. I will also draft the race playlist something between 2 1/2 -3 hours, given my target being 2hrs 11 minutes for the 24k.

I have now finished the program I was (loosely) following. I have got back to doing 5K in under 30 minutes, can complete 10K, and the VO2 max recorded is now up to 39 (from a low of 35). On average, I am running around 20 km/week now, though I have done a random 27km week in the middle.

Next I want to build mileage in a sensible way and increase the number of days a week which I run (3 currently). I don't have a program for this yet, but imagine I will have to adapt one to account for fixed 5K runs on Fridays and Saturdays (running club at my job and parkrun, respectively).

Attended parkrun for the first time in 6 months today. Completed my 5K in exactly 26:30, which is a big improvement on my previous best since injury (27:51) and not far off the times I was doing before. Really pleased with the result.

I do need to check my watch, however: it says my average heart rate was 148 during the run, which would be a lower average than the 7:00/km warmup jog I did on the way. :bigsmile:

@DJMayes Well done!

Your post has reminded me that I need to start going to my local park run events.

Operation getting back in shape after the holidays seems to be going well. 5.75 km in 25 minutes with a slightly dodgy knee (the joys of being an old fart!).

@DJMayes Well done!

Your post has reminded me that I need to start going to my local park run events.

Operation getting back in shape after the holidays seems to be going well. 5.75 km in 25 minutes with a slightly dodgy knee (the joys of being an old fart!).

I need to get better at attending them, to be honest - since my first (over 2 years ago) I've attended less than 20 in total. I intend on making a habit of it from now on, particularly as I'm moving to a new town for work in a few days and would like to make some new friends there.

5.75 km in 25 minutes is rapid!

HALF MARATHON PR Smash :edmetal:
19 minutes down from 2h 12 to 1h 53

I did the race yesterday, it went exactly as planned, I broke the 21.1km 2 hrs barrier with ease (average heart rate 155 bpm) doing the whole 24k at 2h 09 min 10"

Starting /ending point close to the cave that as per tradition Zeus was born (thus the name Zeus Run) doing the perimeter of the Lasithi Plateau (photo below) at ~800m.

Plateau.jpeg

Race metrics:
Distance 23.98km
Elapsed Time 2:09:10
Avg Pace 5:23/km
Elevation Gain 292m
Avg Heart Rate 155 bpm

Best Efforts:
Half Marathon PR 1:53:16
20k PR 1:47:14
10 mile PR 1:25:51
15k PR 1:20:13

Splits.png

From tomorrow I will follow the Astrand protocol which consists of not eating carbs for 3 days in combination with exercise and then 3 days eating many carbs with no exercise.

Fuelling was crucial for the race I followed the Astrad protocol plus the last day maxing further my glycogene stores as per hack below:
Up to 36 hrs before the race, easy run +400m 5k PR pace. Eat carbs within 20 minutes + drink much water. Done!

Let’s see how it goes. I will also draft the race playlist something between 2 1/2 -3 hours, given my target being 2hrs 11 minutes for the 24k.

The Playlist I crafted for the race was awesome, peak moments The Parchment & Tornado of Souls. Generally all the Playlist worked out perfectly.

Psychro.png

Back