The Running thread

____no5

Free Man
Here you can write for any type of running. From 100m to Ultra-Marathon. You may write for your jogs, races and PRs or track & field events. About shoes & gear to historic races & legendary runners, anything relating to running really.

Kipchoge breaks Marathon workd record.. Again!

I just realized.. While I was traveling on Sunday, Eliud Kipchoge broke his own record in Berlin Marathon. Bloody hell! By 30 seconds!
Berlin Marathon course is very flat this favorable for records. But on Sunday weather conditions were there, too: 12 deg. Celsius temperature and no wind.
Apparently there were 1 million people in the streets of Berlin cheering for him.

Here you can write for any type of running. From 100m to Ultra-Marathon. You may write for your jogs, races and PRs or track & field events. About shoes & gear to historic races & legendary runners, anything relating to running really.

Kipchoge breaks Marathon workd record.. Again!

I just realized.. While I was traveling on Sunday, Eliud Kipchoge broke his own record in Berlin Marathon. Bloody hell! By 30 seconds!
Berlin Marathon course is very flat this favorable for records. But on Sunday weather conditions were there, too: 12 deg. Celsius temperature and no wind.
Apparently there were 1 million people in the streets of Berlin cheering for him.

1664784157071.jpeg

Some interesting technology and video. I never ever run with Adidas shoes, however this is intriguing enough to at least try. Without further adieu: 4DFWD, a running shoe with a unique 3D printed midsole made by Carbon.

Runner’s smoothie.
700Kcal
40% Carbs
31% Fat
29% Protein (51g).

120g Banana
200g Greek-style yogurt
2 tbsp honey
2.5 tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop (20g) whey protein
200ml milk low fat
2 tbsp oatmeal

Put in blender, process until smooth. Super tasty.

B7A42936-0820-4BA7-9CF8-5380A32F0E42.jpeg F9F54670-B071-4388-8908-1CFC7EB0E651.jpeg

I did a 21k recovery run (~6:55/km pace) the other day with the wrong type of shoes (tempo shoes, specifically the Nike Zoom Tempo Next%) and my legs were hurting badly in the end. Those Nikes are great shoes and super durable but their purpose is as their name indicates, tempo runs. They are terrible for slow runs and the lesson was painful.

Thus I bought in emergency a pair for this type of long easy runs, the only type shoe that someone should have if he were to have one pair and the only type of which I was missing an active pair.

After reading some reviews and trials in retail shops, I ended with what is for many the shoe of the year 2022, ASICS Novablast 3. There's no plate obviously just foam, but the engineers have come up with a deep groove on the outsole which creates a trampoline-like bouncing effect on the run, very pleasing.

The shoe has a whopping score of 93 in RunRepeat (higher than virtually all of 250$+ supershoes) and I've seen at least 7 reviewers on YouTube that mention it as the shoe of the year. Price not too high, 140$-ish.
They are not very fast, but they fit perfectly their purpose of everyday trainer.

asics tramp.jpeg asics-novablast-3-traction-17751278-720.jpg

News from Valencia marathon: Kelvin Kiptum's marathon eye dropping debut set the 3rd fastest time of all time at 2:01:53.
He is now only one of 3 men to ever run below 2:02:00 other 2 being living gods Eliud Kipchoge (2:01:09, Berlin 2022) & Kenenisa Bekele (2:01:41, Berlin 2019).

In women, woman wonder Letesenbet Gidey did her marathon debut with a huge time (best woman's debut ever) at 2:16:49. He would be first should if Amane Beriso hadn't break her own PB by a whopping 6 minutes.

Valencia is becoming slowly but steadily the Mecca of long distance runners.

39dbea5556d86969d7eef86fb8ab7df7.jpg

Boston Marathon is over and Kipchoge didn't win. Some say it was because he missed a bottle, some the rain soaked his shoes, or the fact that he essentially did the pacekeeping as in Boston there are no pacekeepers.
Below some possible explanations as well as a sort of analysis for the race.

Here Kipchoge talks to the press, essentially apologising!! exactly after the interview:

On shoes front, Nike didn't do as well. Out of Men's Top 10 only 2 wore Nike, 6 wore Adidas Adizero (including the first 4) and 2 ASICS Metaspeed Sky. For Women's Marathon things were ever more exciting with OnCloud winning the race and even having a Hoka in the Top 10! Article from Runner's World below.
There were a few prototypes in the race with the blue stamp BOSTON 127 stamp indicating that they were inspected and approved prior the race.

I did a 21k recovery run (~6:55/km pace) the other day with the wrong type of shoes (tempo shoes, specifically the Nike Zoom Tempo Next%) and my legs were hurting badly in the end.

Blimey! Reading that just made me feel tired! :lol:

I do some running to stay fit but have never done something that long. I tend to run for 25 to 30 minutes 2 or 3 times per week (I also cycle to work), although sometimes I feel better and go for a bit longer (my PB is 11.2 km in 50 minutes).

my PB is 11.2 km in 50 minutes

Wow. If those data are exact then you run much faster than me. Quite a fast runner period.

You run ~11k at the ridiculous pace of 4:27/km while my PB for 10k is at a pace of 4:53/km
For the record my 5k PB is at pace 4:40/km and I had VO2 max ~48 that time. (Now it’s 46)

Wow. If those data are exact then you run much faster than me. Quite a fast runner period.

You run ~11k at the ridiculous pace of 4:27/km while my PB for 10k is at a pace of 4:53/km
For the record my 5k PB is at pace 4:40/km and I had VO2 max ~48 that time. (Now it’s 46)

I must admit I am surprised to be called a fast runner, but yes, the data are accurate.

My usual 30 minute run is on an urban area around where I live (1 mile per lap) with ~130m elevation gain. I managed to do 7km in that time back in February 2022 before I got Covid; I have not managed to run at that pace since (best this year so far has been 6.85km).

At the end of the day, it is an excuse to do some exercise whilst listening to some music, something that I cannot do when I cycle. :lol:

My usual 30 minute run is on an urban area around where I live (1 mile per lap) with ~130m elevation gain. I managed to do 7km in that time back in February 2022 before I got Covid; I have not managed to run at that pace since (best this year so far has been 6.85km).

7km in 30 minutes is 4:17/km pace which is definitely fast.
To put it in a perspective 3:59/km is considered by many the threshold when someone’s a “serious runner”.
I know many who run for years that never reached 4:20 let alone 3:59.

7km in 30 minutes is 4:17/km pace which is definitely fast.
To put it in a perspective 3:59/km is considered by many the threshold when someone’s a “serious runner”.
I know many who run for years that never reached 4:20 let alone 3:59.

Thanks for the information and the compliments!

At the end of the day, it is an excuse to do some exercise whilst listening to some music, something that I cannot do when I cycle. :lol:

Why not when you cycle?

For me, Painkiller is a well.. pain killer album for me when I run; I've done me current 5k & 10k PBs plus the previous 10k PB while listening to it.
There's no album like it, start to finish made for threshold runs.
Though usually I'm selecting inspiring songs put into compilations. Maiden generally isn't very good for that purpose.
Classic running songs I can think of right out of the bat are Orion for tempo runs, Tornado of Souls for threshold and Ceremony for explosive intervals, below.

Some interesting technology and video. I never ever run with Adidas shoes, however this is intriguing enough to at least try. Without further adieu: 4DFWD, a running shoe with a unique 3D printed midsole made by Carbon.

Update: Tried it twice in 2 different occasions. Terrible shoe to wear. Definitely not my cup of tea.

News from Valencia marathon: Kelvin Kiptum's marathon eye dropping debut set the 3rd fastest time of all time at 2:01:53.
He is now only one of 3 men to ever run below 2:02:00 other 2 being living gods Eliud Kipchoge (2:01:09, Berlin 2022) & Kenenisa Bekele (2:01:41, Berlin 2019).

He did it again!! 23 year old Kelvin Kiptum, in his second Marathon just destroyed London race with the un-real time of 2:01:25, second best Marathon time ever and obviously a new course record (previously held by Kipchoge). He broke from the field after the 30 km mark and beat second-placed Geoffrey Kamworor by nearly three minutes.

A new star is rising and probably the man that may break the 2 hours barrier in a real Marathon.

Women's race was also noteworthy as Dutch Sifan Hassan in her first marathon ever has to stop in the middle of the race to stretch her legs and she was able to win it all the same! Unreal.

London & Berlin are the most exciting Marathons in recent years.

No f--ng way, she was even fasting (Ramadan) during her training and still won it.

Last edited:
Here's an exceptionally good article about Kipchoge's run (posted so I can also keep it for future reference) and a great video of a guy I follow in YouTube for shoe reviews. Absolute beast, he run at 3:50/km all with holding a go pro in his hand and talking to us spectators.

The video below helped me a lot improve my VO2 max in a very short time (11 days) and even so being on vacation (unheard of!)

I've been struggling to improve my VO2 max to pre Shanghai lock down levels of ~50 and I was around the mark of 44 for most of time.
Then I found a pretty solid running partner and in less than 2 months month that went to 46.
As of now, any kind of vacation or business trips meant VO2 max will go down to 1 -2 points depending on the duration of the trip. Not this time.
Doing 4 -5 strides sessions per week I've seen my VO2 max going from 45.9 to 46.7 in 12 days all while being on vacation.

As video explains strides are much easier than intervals. And that's why you can train without the risk to be mentally burnt in the long term.
You run comfortably fast for 150 -200m then walking or slow jogging and again. As of now I'm doing 150m run and 100m walk. The results have been jaw dropping:

For the first 8 days (6 sessions) the VO2 max was steady at ~46 and last 3 it skyrocketed to 46.7 :)

So if you are interested to improve your speed /VO2 max, pretty effortlessly, strides guys!

VO2max.png

Back