The Running thread

A more general running query: what music do we all listen to? I tend to do mostly older rock / metal and am going through the process of making a longer playlist for eventual longer races.

A more general running query: what music do we all listen to? I tend to do mostly older rock / metal and am going through the process of making a longer playlist for eventual longer races.
At the moment I'm not using any music because one of the gamechangers I got from the physio was to focus on keeping my cadence between 172 and 175. So to facilitate this I'm just running with a metronome for the time being until I put together a playlist of songs all in this specific speed bracket.

Prior to this I used a playlist of completely random songs (various styles) all chosen with this one consideration: they are all songs which make me feel happy and excited about life. Because when I feel happy and excited about life I also feel energetic: which is very useful for running ...;)

Classic Rock, some metal, electronic, dance, anything really. For me the important is that the song talks to my heart so it gives me boost and that it has the right beats per minute for the specific type of run.

For example, this is the best example I know for alternating a.k.a. interval runs. With the slow part and drum & fast explosive bass part right after.

And this is a great example of a great running tempo song, for a very lively zone 2 run.

At some point I'd like to craft compilations for specific types of run, i.e. threshold, tempo, zone 2, long runs!

When I used to bike everywhere I had a bunch of power metal on my mp3 player. It was the right mix of heavy, epic and inspirational to keep me going. Now, I just put random vids on Youtube while doing my push-ups. I've been watching an over 3 hour video on Greek Mythology in chunks. Just got past the layout of the Underworld and it's denizens.

I've also took up a pushup routine - specifically this one: https://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

I'm only a couple of weeks in now but it is encouraging to hear how quickly results could potentially happen.
How's this going? I've stagnated a bit on mine. I should be up to 72, but still stuck at 60. While consistency is the key it's also the hardest aspect. I took some days off, like 3, and was surprised to see I struggled to reach said 60. So I didn't push it (pun intended).

Overall I feel great. I kinda reached my goal. Back in January I said I'd do this so I could at the very least carry and flip the 20 liter water jug I have at home with little to no effort. Well, after 3 months last night I had to switch it out and sure enough I was able to flip it onto the dispenser with no struggle. I was pretty proud lol. Obviously I'll keep going. My surgery isn't until the end of may and I want to be as fit as possible to recuperate as quickly as possible.

At the moment I'm not using any music because one of the gamechangers I got from the physio was to focus on keeping my cadence between 172 and 175. So to facilitate this I'm just running with a metronome for the time being until I put together a playlist of songs all in this specific speed bracket.

Very technical physio! Also your cadence is quite high, my half marathon PB cadence is 167 at 1.1m average stride length.
Are you running on treadmill currently?

Note to self
Regarding stride vs cadence debate (see ASICS Metaspeed Sky -Edge Marketing) I'm looking the data and I definitely am a "stride runner", however cadence focused Metaspeed Edge feels better on my feet.

5k PB Cadence 168, Stride Length 1.2m
10k & Half Marathon PB Cadence 167, Stride Length 1.1m
Marathon PB Cadence 168, Stride Length 1.0m
Long Run Cadence 166, Stride Length 1.0m

Very technical physio! Also your cadence is quite high, my half marathon PB cadence is 167 at 1.1m average stride length.
Are you running on treadmill currently?
I never mastered the art of treadmill running - you have to run at exactly the same speed the belt is moving so the slightest distraction can be catastrophic (as I discovered to my cost when I nearly got shot off the end of it one day ... :facepalm:)

No, I run outdoors - most times along Weston Shore Promenade. I like to start and finish at this row of bollards (because it sort of feels like a start/finish line):
westonshore.JPG
The Shore Link from here to Netley Castle and back is almost exactly 5k, according to my old Garmin watch.

Regarding the cadence, the idea is that keeping each foot on the ground for less time each step also means that any individual muscle is loaded or stressed for less time. He said to take more steps without running any faster, which may seem counterintuitive but what that really means is you just take shorter strides. Yet surprisingly I've found that doing it this way has allowed me to run a bit faster and keep going for longer with less effort so hey :ok:

I never mastered the art of treadmill running - you have to run at exactly the same speed the belt is moving so the slightest distraction can be catastrophic (as I discovered to my cost when I nearly got shot off the end of it one day ... :facepalm:)

I find the treadmill useful, when the weather is really bad or I don't have much time to commute to the park. There's a gym an elevator and 100m walking distance away, so there's that. Also when I'm travelling to another city and I don't know where to go (for example if I have intervals it's better to do them in a treadmill that outside with crowds and traffic lights) I'll use hotel's treadmill.
It also helps the body get used to maintaining the same pace for long time which is very useful in real race.

And yes, it needs a kind of focus, you can't just look the other way you may get hurt. I learnt it the hard way when I once tried to run with closed eyes, I fell down in no time!

No, I run outdoors - most times along Weston Shore Promenade. I like to start and finish at this row of bollards (because it sort of feels like a start/finish line):
The Shore Link from here to Netley Castle and back is almost exactly 5k, according to my old Garmin watch.

It's beautiful, I'm jealous :)

Regarding the cadence, the idea is that keeping each foot on the ground for less time each step also means that any individual muscle is loaded or stressed for less time. He said to take more steps without running any faster, which may seem counterintuitive but what that really means is you just take shorter strides. Yet surprisingly I've found that doing it this way has allowed me to run a bit faster and keep going for longer with less effort so hey :ok:

Very interesting person your physio. I know a few people who advocating for cadence, though I am sceptical to change my style of running as it may result to injuries. Your case is different as you are using it to get out of an injury which makes a huge sense.

Back in Shanghai now. Different kind of beautiful but this is my home.
This is the famous bund, east side where I run sometimes, though usually I go to Century Park.

IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2471.jpeg

This Sunday I have a half marathon which I’ll jog as I am still injured. If I manage a below 2 hours time I’ll be ultra happy, though I don’t promise anything :D

This Sunday I have a half marathon which I’ll jog as I am still injured. If I manage a below 2 hours time I’ll be ultra happy, though I don’t promise anything :D

1:52:05 (5:20/km)
Cruising in pain. Lung-wise it wasn't that much of an effort, but from 5km onwards my ankle was in pain. Since last half marathon (4 weeks ago) I didn't do any serious training, only some recovery runs at ~8:00min/km pace.
Let's hope my ankle won't worsen too much. I will further reduce running now in order to recover.

This is my second best time ever. Eight months ago it would have been a smashing performance, yet today I literally limped the distance.

paces.PNG

Regarding the cadence, the idea is that keeping each foot on the ground for less time each step also mean that any individual muscle is loaded or stressed for less time. He said to take more steps without running any faster, which may seem counterintuitive but what that really means is you just take shorter strides. Yet surprisingly I've found that doing it this way has allowed me to run a bit faster and keep going for longer with less effort so hey :ok:
I definitely had to increase my cadence at one point - though for me it was bringing it up from something that was very low (in the 150s) to somewhere in the 160s. I was trying to hit 180 cadence because that's what the internet had told me to do; in reality I trained a bit using 180bpm music for a few weeks and got a bit tired of it but it increased my natural cadence a little anyway.

- - - - -

I decided to enter the ballot for the 2025 London marathon on a whim this evening - chances are very slim of success but I've had several friends do it this year (including one who ran it in 2:31, which is obscene) and I've realised it's something I would quite like to do eventually.

Back