The REAL reason Bring your daughter to the slaughter was a #1 song

Without checking the link, the explanation is simple: a strategy of selling the single in multiple formats at the time of the year when most people would not be buying music, knowing that your fans would buy more than one copy of each. As Bruce put it in his autobiography: "a clever manipulation of the chart system".

Just in case somebody is interested in what the article has to say, it's not worth reading at all. The point is: Maiden got a number one because they released the single at a moment when nobody was buying records and thus a comparatively small amount of sales already got them to number one. The rest of the article is just a desperate attempt of making a story out of it.

The problem is though that the band actually thinks people like this song. "It was a number one single, let's play it again!"

The problem is though that the band actually thinks people like this song. "It was a number one single, let's play it again!"

Oh yeah, that explains the massive amount of appearances it's made between 1995 and 2003, and since 2003. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh yeah, that explains the massive amount of appearances it's made between 1995 and 2003, and since 2003. Thanks for clearing that up.

It is Iron Maiden's 43rd most-played live song, ahead of songs including Brave New World, 7th Son of a Seventh Son, and Stranger in a Strange Land. It has been played more often than contemporaries such as Tailgunner, No Prayer for the Dying and Holy Smoke. Finally, it has been played exactly double the amount of times that Be Quick, or Be Dead has been played. Yes, I do suspect they think much more highly of the song than should be warranted.

Last edited:
It is Iron Maiden's 43rd most-played live song, ahead of songs including Brave New World, 7th Son of a Seventh Son, and Stranger in a Strange Land. It has been played more often than contemporaries such as Tailgunner, No Prayer for the Dying and Holy Smoke. Finally, it has been played exactly double the amount of time that Be Quick, or Be Dead has been played. Yes, I do suspect they think much more highly of the song than should be warranted.
If anything, I think this shows how little they've played the other songs you've mentioned and the many other songs we'd like them to play.

If anything, I think this shows how little they've played the other songs you've mentioned and the many other songs we'd like them to play.

Which is why it is frustrating that they trot out some of these less-than-popular songs like Wildest Dreams, Heaven Can Wait, and Sanctuary even more than once.

Back