The Pop Thread

Well, my first exposure to Sia was that song she done for the new Annie film (Never fully dressed without a smiiiiiiile *shudders*), which I did not like one bit and may have had something to do with my initial dislike of her. ;)

Sia has a great voice and is an even better songwriter. Haven’t dug too deep into her work but I really liked This Is Acting. Can’t believe those songs were rejected by other artists. The songs that were meant for Rihanna and Adele specifically were far better than anything on their most recent respective albums.

Sia wrote "Diamonds" for Rihanna, no? Or was that after This Is Acting?

I haven't heard the whole album but I liked the singles from Adele's 25 more than anything else of hers - save for "Skyfall", maybe.

I think she did but that was quite a few years earlier. Cheap Thrills was intended for Rihanna and turned out to be a bit of a hit for her. I’m just speculating here but I also suspect Footprints was for her. Bird Set Free was rejected by Rihanna and Adele, which is nuts. Great song.

I liked Hello off 25 and that was about it. 22 is much stronger imo (plus Skyfall).

Hm, interesting. I really like "Cheap Thrills", not sure it would have sounded so good from Rihanna. "Send My Love" is pretty good, probably the most upbeat Adele's ever sounded.

While we're on Sia I remembered this:

I love PVRIS. Pretty decent cover, doesn't stray that far from the original. Just shows how great a voice Lynn Gunn has.

Yea I like Sia better than both singers so it worked out for me as a fan, I just think it’s crazy that they turned down gems like those.

I don't know much about Sia, I've only listened pretty much to the singles, my favorites being "Chandelier" and "Titanium" (which is not hers exactly, but I love it). Maybe I should check out some more of her stuff, she really does have an amazing voice.

But what I've been listening on repeat lately is Lorde's Melodrama (should've won Album of the Year) and Taylor's reputation.

I am loving this at the moment, the mid section with the background chants makes me think of Fleetwood Mac's "Big Love". Rag'n'Bone Man has such a great voice. Wasn't massively keen on Human (the album) though, kinda hit and miss for me.

Quick question: would any of you participate in a Taylor Swift survivor? I think at least five players would do the trick, and it might be a nice opportunity for those who casually enjoy her music to delve deeper into her discography (if they're interested of course), as she has quite a few goodies hidden away in her back catalog.

Back