THE OPETH REFERENDUM MMXXI: Results -> Blackwater Park wins again!

Faith in Others, Demon, Black Rose, To Bid You.

Also, I'm really sorry I fucked up and left this game for such a long time. My life has been rather chaotic in the past year and although nothing really bad happened to us, it was really, really hard just to function. Had next to no time for the forum, for listening, for everything.

I still intend to post the write-ups I promised.

Sorry, guys.
No worries, glad to see you back and hope all is as well as can be!

tBF6Jyp.jpg

Eliminated after Round 20:
Folklore - 5 votes
Black Rose Immortal - 5 votes
Voice Of Treason - 3 votes
To Bid You Farewell - 3 votes

@Mosh, @Detective Beauregard, @JudasMyGuide, @MrKnickerbocker, @The Dissident, @Shmoolikipod

In what world can Lovelorn Crime beat a song like Black Rose Immortal? I'm appalled.

Anyway, going with Lovelorn stupid Crime, Burden, April Ethereal, and the massively overrated When.

Black Rose Immortal has become a cult favorite in the Opeth discography because it is rare in scope, length, and frequency of live performances (or lack thereof). As a song...Opeth has many, many better. There are plenty of great parts throughout, but it does not justify its length nor is it a strong representation of Mikael's ability to tie disparate musical sections together. The whole thing should stop after he whispers the title, despite the EPIIICCC SCREAM BRO.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's a very cool piece of early Opeth. But it is nowhere near the top of their compositions.

I agree, Advent (especially), The Night and the Silent Water, and even Nectar are all really fantastic proto-Opeth songs.

April Ethereal is the weakest song here, so an easy vote. It's fine enough, but literally has only one memorable section (you know the riff).

Also votes for Hounds (which is good but has never stood out to me) and Lotus Eater (which is overrated).

Voting in this survivor has me realizing that I don't care for the Opeth ballads all that much. Hope Leaves, Burden, Harvest, etc all seem to be fan favorites which are definitely cool songs but I probably wouldn't put on an Opeth top ten. I want the riffs!

I also don't really get the hype around Faith in Others. It's a cool song but again, at least 3 or 4 other tracks off that album alone are preferable to me. But I'm also that weirdo that would keep Goblin alive over several other songs on the album.

Voting in this survivor has me realizing that I don't care for the Opeth ballads all that much. Hope Leaves, Burden, Harvest, etc all seem to be fan favorites which are definitely cool songs but I probably wouldn't put on an Opeth top ten. I want the riffs!

I also don't really get the hype around Faith in Others. It's a cool song but again, at least 3 or 4 other tracks off that album alone are preferable to me. But I'm also that weirdo that would keep Goblin alive over several other songs on the album.
I agree about Harvest and others such as Credence and Atonement. But I love Burden and Hope Leaves. Benighted is also one of my all time favorites.

As for Faith, I’ll be voting for it soon. It’s good, but you are right, the album has better. Try being the weirdo like me who thinks River is one of the best songs on the album.

Back