The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Any pro sound guys here...I'm getting a sense that there's been some fall-off in quality between former FOH sound engineer Doug Hall and current sound man Martin Walker. Yea or nay?

Don't know, regardless of any sound issues it's still lightyears ahead of the amphitheaters they were playing at. I would've had to have seen them at an arena with Doug Hall to really compare. There were definitely issues in Denver but I don't really remember as many in Denver.

No problem, I've got seats for this show, not floor/GA. That's because Cornfed Lady is joining me. She is.....apprehensive. I wouldn't call her a fan. But she can tell the difference between Bruce and Paul.
That is awesome!! Good for you and her, enjoy!!

I'm going to see them tomorrow in LA. I have a flight out of the LA at 1AM. I know the FOrum is only 10 mins from LAX, but for those of you that have already seen them this year, what time is the show starting and ending? If it ends around 11ish, I can still make it to my 1am flight (not checking luggage, carry on only)....

Please advise,

I wasn't happy with the sound at Mandalay Bay and I was seated directly behind the sound pit, which is usually a prime position. Couldn't tell if it was the venue's acoustics or something else. I'll be at the Forum for tonight's show and will have a better idea because I've seen a few shows there since it was refurbished.

I'm watching a YouTube video of the MSG show and it sounds pretty good...

The first Maiden album I ever bought was Live After Death so I've always associated Maiden with LA. I'm jealous of all you going to the LA shows the next two nights! A Trooper Pre Party at the Rainbow would be tough to beat! Everyone have fun!

Fantastic concert. The lads were in great form tonight. All of the regular platitudes apply so I won't rehash what everyone's already heard. No changes to the set list as of yet. The one song that still doesn't quite fit remains "Death Or Glory." "TOAC," perhaps even more surprisingly is actually a strong live cut. The high point of the show, in addition to the opening, had to be "TRATB." That song flat out ROCKS in concert. "HBTN" and believe it or not, "The Trooper," also stood out. But from start to finish, it was an absolutely stunning show.

Bears repeating how incredibly Bruce is singing. Absolutely no strain or deterioration in his voice. Flawless.

The Raven Age actually went down well. Helped them that the sound was good so the audience could actually make out what they were playing.

The Forum sounded awesome. Whatever sound issues may have been observed in other shows must have been attributable to the room and not the mix. Very well balanced and dynamic mix. Show was sold out as is tomorrow night. And Bruce alluded to coming back so there very well may be a return US tour in '17.

I'd love to hear a soundboard of tonight's show. It could easily be a live record; the band was really on tonight.

Zero issues getting in with the scanners. Just a great night.

Awesome! I still can't believe how this whole tour is happening, heavy metal magic is what we're witnessing. Best setlist for an album tour, great stage setup, UNMATCHED stage presence.... Everything is coming together like I havent seen it come together before. Just wow.

Just came back from The Forum show...

My first Maiden show was in 2003 during Give Me Ed 'Til I'm Dead tour. Last one was Somewhere Back In Time in 2008. The boys still have it! Unbelievable, haha. With the exception of maybe 1 BoS track, setlist was amazing. Blood Brothers, Powerslave, Wasted Years.... I turned into a teenager in seconds. The guys played like metal gods and Bruce sounds insane still. You would not have guessed he's had throat issues.

Only negative thing about the show was the crowd leaving too soon. I haven't read any accounts of other shows yet, so I assume they might have come out for one last song before calling it a night. Half the crowd was gone before the house lights came on, smh.

If anyone here has 1-3 spare tickets for tomorrow's show. Please PM me. I'm in the area and interested. \m/

Can't overstate how strong is this set list. The band are at an age where they could easily toss off a shorter set with easier songs, but no. This show is intense. Zero filler. I don't know how they do it but they still put their all into songs like "Iron Maiden" and "The Trooper," making them sound fresh & powerful. Total professionals.

Sadly, everyone can't appreciate what they're giving us. Overheard some idiots screaming "Play more old-school!" and "Run To The Hills!" I wanted to turn around and yell "STFU!!!" I mean, really..? They really can't win for losing.

Only negative thing about the show was the crowd leaving too soon. I haven't read any accounts of other shows yet, so I assume they might have come out for one last song before calling it a night. Half the crowd was gone before the house lights came on, smh. \m/

The show ends with "Wasted Years." It can be such a clusterfuck exiting The Forum I'm sure some folks, like me, began their mad dash for the doors as soon as Bruce said "Thank you, good night!"

Outstanding show. The new songs were very tight, the older songs a bit looser with the band members following their own time and improvising during the solos. The instrumental portion of The Red and The Black was particularly a highlight. Agree that the setlist is great. I would have substituted any of about 50 songs for Death or Glory, but that's nitpicking, and Bruce obviously wants to play that one.

The crowd was bigger and more energized than in Vegas. I sat behind the sound board. The sound was pretty good throughout. The bass was too low on If Eternity Should Fail, but they adjusted it eventually (and turned up the overall volume a bit too, I think). In particular, the guitars on Red/Black sounded awesome. Oddly, it was sometimes tough to catch every word of Bruce's between-songs rants.

As for people leaving immediately after Wasted Years, that's because they know the setlist and know that the band doesn't modify it. At least they stayed through the end of the set -- LA fans are notorious for arriving late and leaving early at sporting events.

Didn't bother me, but the focus on Book in the first half is a bit of a drag for a casual North American fan.
I wouldn't have dropped anything, just squeezed in Run to the Hills on either side of Tears and they would have been golden. Excellent set list overall with Powerslave being the Easter Egg here, and Children of the damned a nice touch.

Liked that they finished on an unconventional note with Wasted Years. And Blood Brothers is not a big favourite of mine, but it was the right song at the right time.

My suspicion the Red and the Black would cook live was spot on and Book of Souls went over better live.
And no complaints from me ever about Fear of the Dark. Such a great live track.

Staging was great, among the best they've had.
The performances (Bruce!) were good, a few timing issues notwithstanding.
Liked that the entire band was using the entire stage. Dave had the most energy I'd seen from him.

First time seeing Maiden with JG...Last and only time was in 1985 Rock in Rio.....THe Forum was great!!!! took me 31 yrs to see them again!!!!!

Still not a fan of JG.....specially his 80's poser ballerina moves.....But overall a 10 !!!

Back