The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Iron Maiden was mind blowing. It was cool seeing how the songs have evolved since Vegas, I particularly noticed an additional melody from Adrian in Tears of a Clown and of course Bruce's wrestler mask! Also wasn't Adrian playing his solo on Hallowed at one point? My memory is fuzzy but it was definitely Janick tonight.

Other things worth noting:
Big malfunction in Speed of Light when Adrian's guitar cut out right at the beginning. Got a nice cowbell solo as a result.
There were still some rough moments in the songs, which surprised me. It didn't ruin the show at all obviously, was just something interesting. The instrumental section of IESF had a very rickety start and Wasted Years had some tempo issues. They nailed Tears though.
Bruce tried several times to get the crowd pumped during Death or Glory, but they weren't interested.
Crowd response during Fear was much better than in Vegas, however.
The Red and the Black was seriously built for a live audience. I urge anybody who isn't a fan to wait until they see it live before writing it off. This was the one new song that got the audience pumped too.
Bruce sounds more tired than he did in Vegas, but that's understandable.
Blood Brothers went down better this time.
POWERSLAVE

Overall, I'd say the Vegas show was better but this show definitely had different highlights which is good.

Also, weed is stupid.

One more thing: I finally saw The Raven Age! They actually weren't as bad as I expected, given the reaction on this forum. I definitely spaced out after about 3 songs but I didn't think they were horrible. Just that they played the same song six times. They had a bit of a gallop though and a bit of twin guitars, so the Maiden influence e was there.

George Harris played a solo at one point that I felt sounded like what A Steve Harris solo would sound like if he played guitar. Had that same sense of melody and rhythm. So that was interesting.

But yea, wish they chose something more interesting.

Here's the Speed of Light guitar incident from Denver last night.

I also have If Eternity Should Fail and Tears of a Clown uploaded, with The Red and the Black, Death Or Glory, The Book of Souls and Wasted Years being uploaded as I type this.

Not trying to advertise my YouTube channel or anything since honestly I don't give a shit about views, it's just where I archive all my concert videos. But I was reading Mosh's comment and was like "hey, I recorded all of those". They're all in 60fps and great quality

Iron Maiden was mind blowing. It was cool seeing how the songs have evolved since Vegas, I particularly noticed an additional melody from Adrian in Tears of a Clown and of course Bruce's wrestler mask! Also wasn't Adrian playing his solo on Hallowed at one point? My memory is fuzzy but it was definitely Janick tonight.

Other things worth noting:
Big malfunction in Speed of Light when Adrian's guitar cut out right at the beginning. Got a nice cowbell solo as a result.
There were still some rough moments in the songs, which surprised me. It didn't ruin the show at all obviously, was just something interesting. The instrumental section of IESF had a very rickety start and Wasted Years had some tempo issues. They nailed Tears though.
Bruce tried several times to get the crowd pumped during Death or Glory, but they weren't interested.
Crowd response during Fear was much better than in Vegas, however.
The Red and the Black was seriously built for a live audience. I urge anybody who isn't a fan to wait until they see it live before writing it off. This was the one new song that got the audience pumped too.
Bruce sounds more tired than he did in Vegas, but that's understandable.
Blood Brothers went down better this time.
POWERSLAVE

Overall, I'd say the Vegas show was better but this show definitely had different highlights which is good.

Also, weed is stupid.

I honestly don't find the Raven Age too bad, just incompatible with a big venue and a Maiden crowd. They're not what I'd think of as 'melodic metal', more like something-core with a little bit of guitar melody creeping in from time to time. They'll do okay at Download on the appropriate stage where there are more bands like that and more fans who like that sort of music.

Here's the Speed of Light guitar incident from Denver last night.

I also have If Eternity Should Fail and Tears of a Clown uploaded, with The Red and the Black, Death Or Glory, The Book of Souls and Wasted Years being uploaded as I type this.

Not trying to advertise my YouTube channel or anything since honestly I don't give a shit about views, it's just where I archive all my concert videos. But I was reading Mosh's comment and was like "hey, I recorded all of those". They're all in 60fps and great quality
I knew it! So it is true then: Florida is inhabited by third-age people only. ;) Seriously, I am surprised at how still the audience is, even in the first rows.

Very good sound though. Thanks for the recording. :)

What about the band's sound quality in Denver? Many of event attendees state that acoustic was pretty crappy. So, are they right?!

Yea sound wasn't great from where I was. Adrian was way too low in the mix and it was a bit muddy at times. But you're not going to get great acoustics in a hockey arena anyway.

Also wasn't Adrian playing his solo on Hallowed at one point? My memory is fuzzy but it was definitely Janick tonight.

Adrian played it in Chicago because Janick's guitar failed for the entire song. Last time Adrian played that solo regularly was in 1988.

Pepsi Center's weird. I've hated shows down on the floor or lower balc, but the sound gets much, much better in the upper balc. Strange, that. This show didn't sound as good as Sabbath some weeks back, but sounded way better than some stuff I've seen in there.
Skylar, were you in Sec. 301? That view and angle are almost identical to the one I had last night.

So... went to the Trooper pre-party at Black Sky. Unfortunately, they ran out of Trooper by 4:30, but on the good side, it made people try some of the Black Sky beers... which are great.

As for the show:
Went over to the venue around 6 to walk around a bit before picking up tickets. That hoodie is the best piece of swag on the tour... but a hundred bucks? YOINKS. Hopefully we'll see that on the after-tour markdown section on the website. That thing was bad ass.
Not as a point of bragging, but just as a point of exposure, I got to go as a guest of Trooper, and had a pass to "Rod's Room". Didn't even see Rod, but got to drink some Troopers, meet some nice folks, and... got to meet Nicko! He came in with his partner from the rib place and they were very friendly. Tried to get a picture with Nicko, but he was ushered away by a crewmember before I could get one. Talked with his rib partner for a while, though. Super nice guy... gets to fly on the plane!
Got to my seat, which was upper balc, but as I mentioned before, it sounds better up there, anyway. Plus, the first few rows of the lower sections do afford great views if you're side-stage, which I was. Great, great, great show. I enjoyed this one even more than the Maiden England shows I saw. Staging and performance are top-notch. Song selection drags in a couple of places, but that's cool... as long as Powerslave is there, the whole damn thing is awesome. I could do without Blood Brothers and Fear Of The Dark, but I get their appeal. I don't get why El Dorado's not being played on this tour, with it's subject matter fitting in perfectly with the theme... but... again... a minor gripe. Wasted Years works really well as a closer, Hallowed and Children of the Damned are much-appreciated, and Red & The Black is a stunner live. As for the future, as in Chicago, Bruce said he couldn't talk too much about it, but we'd see them again soon. I really hope that doesn't mean RiotFest, but if it is... I'll take it!
So, that's my bit. Had a great time, crowd was off the hook... loudest response I've ever seen at the Pepsi Center. Maiden should be happy with that one.
\m/

Specially for those who attended a lot of Maiden tours, how good is this tour compared to others?
Because i have friends whom attended SBiT, TFF and ME, and they all said that the concert here were 10 levels better, considering that the other tours were great.

So, is this just an overreaction, or TBoS really ranks as one of Miaden's best tours?

As for the future, as in Chicago, Bruce said he couldn't talk too much about it, but we'd see them again soon. I really hope that doesn't mean RiotFest, but if it is... I'll take it!\m/
I'm almost certain it's a full US tour next year as the last full tour was 2012.

Glad you had fun!

Specially for those who attended a lot of Maiden tours, how good is this tour compared to others?
Because i have friends whom attended SBiT, TFF and ME, and they all said that the concert here were 10 levels better, considering that the other tours were great.

So, is this just an overreaction, or TBoS really ranks as one of Miaden's best tours?

It really is one of the best tours, no exaggeration. For one, it's incredibly theatrical. The lighting, effects, backgrounds, etc. are the most elaborate and interesting Maiden have ever done, in my opinion. It really adds to the music.

Also the songs from TBoS work really well live, better than on the album. And the selection of classic songs is great - Powerslave, Hallowed, Children, etc.

Plus Bruce and the band sound great. They're playing with a lot of energy. I also think there's a special emotional resonance to this tour that makes it better, because with Bruce's illness no one knew if Maiden would ever play again. So this tour has an air of triumphant return to it.

Iron Maiden tonight!
Coincidentally, I was in Denver last night on a business trip, and didn't even realize the concert was last night too! Only realized it when I saw Ed Force One at the airport this morning. No matter, I'm seeing them again Friday in LA. Hopefully they fix the glitches Mosh described. Not worried about fan response -- an LA Maiden show is always a high-energy affair, and I think they probably see LA as a highlight of the tour, as a couple of them live here (I think). Last time I saw them in the Forum it was INTENSE.

What about the band's sound quality in Denver? Many of event attendees state that acoustic was pretty crappy. So, are they right?!
Sound quality wasn't the best, but it didn't take away from the experience at all. Then again, a good portion of my concerts are at Red Rocks Amphitheatre and nothing can compare to that haha. Adrian was a bit too low in the mix as has been mentioned before. Multiple times I saw him point up to the techs to turn his guitar up.

Skylar, were you in Sec. 301? That view and angle are almost identical to the one I had last night.
\m/
Close... 303!

So, is this just an overreaction, or TBoS really ranks as one of Maiden's best tours?
I've seen them in 2008, 2010, twice in 2012 and last night. As someone who can't get enough of the new stuff, I think this one is tied with their 2010 tour. The new songs transfer very well to the live environment, and Eternity is an incredible opener. I was surprised at how many people around me knew the new stuff too. This dude next to me was air-guitaring basically all the way through The Red and the Black, and overall the crowd was pretty active considering they were playing a 13-minute new song. Death Or Glory got the deadest response from everyone, but Tears of a Clown was great... at least half the people in my section knew the chorus to that one.

So performance wise, I wouldn't say that this show was "10 levels better", but it's nice to go to a Maiden show and still be able to get excited about hearing them play brand new songs. (And personally, even though I know it'll never happen, I'd be perfectly fine with never hearing Hallowed/IM/Fear/TNOTB live again. 5 times is enough for me.)

Back