The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "efficiency" Bart.

I mean (and I understand all this hasn't got the pretention of being 'objective'): "efficient" as in direct and to the point, without any unneccesarily long intro or repetitions in general, but which still stands out for its melodic and structural wealth.

After being made to get used to long (7+ minutes) and unfortunately often bloated tracks that Maiden had got the listeners accustomed to on a very frequent basis since The X Factor (although the "model" might predate this album: "No Prayer...", "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"), a tendency culminating in what is to me the least good post-reunion album, A Matter of Life and Death, I like the freshness of "Tears of a Clown", despite its thematic darkness.

In other words, one reason I like this song a lot is that it seems to take the opposing view of songs such as "These Colours Don't Run", "Brighter than a Thousand Suns" and especially "For the Greater Good of God" (or "No More Lies" on the previous album), which I still "like" - I wouldn't be here otherwise - but which I tend to find a bit redundant and uninspired compared to other (and not necessarily older) songs.

I think the place of the song on the album and the latter's general track order also has to do with how each song "functions" - a bit like in a concert setlist - and I think Maiden has not made two punchy, direct AND well-written songs follow one another for a long time, until at least the first two tracks of The Final Frontier, which in my view was significantly more pleasant than AMOLAD, though not perfect either. My problem with AMOLAD is that I find it quite difficult to listen to in one stretch, given the repetition of demanding lengths and structures, even though I think there are excellent moments on it (post-chorus of "BTASS", intro of "BBreeg", instrumental part of the "The Longest Day", Smith's attack on "Lord of Light", acceleration in the last part of "The Legacy"...)

To get back to "Tears of a Clown", I am very pleased it made the setlist but it seems it would have functioned better later in the show, although I understand that putting this "breather" here (in terms of a tempo) is a choice that has more to do with the musicians' stamina (the same was done with the also slower "Coming Home" on the previous album tour)
, thus allowing them to recuperate after the first 20-30 minutes of the show, than in a crowd-pleasing capacity. As another user rightly pointed earlier in the thread, the musicians of Iron Maiden play for themselves (especially now they are in or approach their sixties) as for the audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few things i've noticed ...

Bruce sounds very good still, he sings the books of souls chorus very differently to avoid those high notes.

Adrian continues to sound better and better as time goes on. His tone gets better and his playing gets better. Dave and jan sound great as well

Nicko shows no signs of slowing down

Nicko shows no signs of slowing down
Good news! :) I was a bit afraid about he and Steve being much less physically "up to the task" when I saw them at Hellfest 2014. How was the tempo of the fast bit of "Fear of the Dark" (if we compare yesterday's rendition to the great version of A Real Live One and the version "for seniors" of Rock In Rio)?

I really like the guitar harmony's on this one. The part that starts at 02:11. Classic Maiden
Bruce also sounds awesome! I'm so happy they chose do this one live.

After all this time, I still don't see TOAC as a wholesale tribute to ' the late, the great....'. I still see it as a portrayal of a character *inspired by* comments about Robin Williams. In the album literature, inspiration is attributed to a person who knew both Steve and Robin Williams. For all we know, he was simply talking about RW and that gave Steve an idea. The image of the sad clown is an old one, as is the concept of laughing to hide the tears. Plus we know now that depression wasn't the full story behind RW taking his own life.

After all this time, I still don't see TOAC as a wholesale tribute to ' the late, the great....'. I still see it as a portrayal of a character *inspired by* comments about Robin Williams. In the album literature, inspiration is attributed to a person who knew both Steve and Robin Williams. For all we know, he was simply talking about RW and that gave Steve an idea. The image of the sad clown is an old one, as is the concept of laughing to hide the tears. Plus we know now that depression wasn't the full story behind RW taking his own life.
Well, Bruce introduces the song basically saying it's about Robin Williams. But sure, good lyrics usually can be read in a broader sense.

I'm still not digging the song as much as some people do... I mean it's OK, but everyone's saying how emotional and beautiful it is and I don't hear it. A quite similar track - Coming Home - is much richer emotionally IMO. It sounds like a more developed version of ToaC.

Well, Bruce introduces the song basically saying it's about Robin Williams. But sure, good lyrics usually can be read in a broader sense.

I'm still not digging the song as much as some people do... I mean it's OK, but everyone's saying how emotional and beautiful it is and I don't hear it. A quite similar track - Coming Home - is much richer emotionally IMO. It sounds like a more developed version of ToaC.

ToaC is a heavier Coming Home. But the point about the lyrics...well, i think that is much easier to identify with ToaC lyrics (everyone had a phase in life that you were down, but needed to hide that from everyone else. "Who'll motivate the motivator" basicly resumes my high school period) than Coming Home's one (don't get me wrong, those lyrics are beautiful as well. But harder to relate with a personal moment. Unless you're a jet pilot).

Here in Brazil we have a popular saying: "Trocar seis por meia dúzia", which translates to "Exchange six for half dozen". Coming Home and Tears of a Clown are exactly like that: it has the same impact on the set and on the concert. And, since we are on the Book of Souls World Tour (which, BTW, would be better if they called "The Tour of Souls" or something like that), it's the most common sense to play ToaC. But, then again, i will love if they play both of those songs

Why won't they play Stranger in a strange land or Flight of icarus???? 2 amazing songs that they need to play live what have not played in years!!!

Steve doesn't like Flight of Icarus live, and, as far as i read, the band didn't liked how SiaSL worked live back in 1999, so they dropped that off the set (using as excuse the funeral of Adrian's dad. Oh, Stevie, how mean can you be? :D)

Bruce sounds a hell of a lot better singing the Book of Souls during the Tulsa show in my opinion:

Not to mention him ripping Eddie's heart out is fucking awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you James for sharing this amazing story, I lived through your words. I'm so jealous...I live in a country where they will never come again :( and it is so frustrating.

I still want to see a good video of Speed of Light, but from what I've seen...this is a FANTASTIC live song and Bruce's performance there is incredible. This band is the greatest thing that could happen to music.

The only change in post-cancer's Bruce is that he is not jumping anymore....and that makes me a bit sad. Maybe he will do it in future shows when he starts to feel stronger and more comfortable.

Another YT finding... This user: https://www.youtube.com/user/roseo007/videos has some videos with nice close-ups. I think someone posted his TBoS footage, but there's more. For example:

And a good recording of WY for those who want to check on Bruce's performance at the end of the show:

I really chocked up watching that performance of WY, thinking about his health issues, and all the uncertainty around that time we learned about it.
The song has always been very special and emotional for me, and the way he sings it here, makes it seems like he is really meaning every word.

"Sadly" Iron Maiden has sooooo many excellent songs that maybe I could fill 3 or 4 setlists full of "mandatory" songs to perform live. There will ALWAYS be songs we wanted that are not there.

I didn't like The Book of Souls album in general that much...but after seeing the live performances now I LOOOOVE If Eternity Should Fail. Tears of a Clown and Death or Glory were my least favorite of the album and now I'm so glad they are playing them. Now I even see Book of Souls (song) as their new Rime of the Ancient Mariner...I don't know, there are some parts that reminds me a lot of that song. Speed of Light is AMAZING!! It sounds and looks so much as their classic stuff. Red and the Black still doesn't grow on me but I'm sure it is pretty great for a live audience.

Wow...I'm so happy to see Iron Maiden being this good after all these years and circumstances.

Thanks a lot! :) Very good sound by today's standards in Youtube bootlegs. This show is not complete but I still prefer having an audible 90% of the show than 100% of it with a terrible sound. ;)

How privileged we are to be able to basically watch and listen to every single Maiden show thanks to the interwebs. Come a long way since bootleggers used to smuggle old handheld cameras into venues and traded em on VHS :lol:

Back