The North Korean missile threat

Every couple of years North Korea starts this shit trying to get concessions on all the different embargos the international community has placed on them, and every time it seems to work. The last thing I want to see is another war, but it's time somebody told them and their so called "great leader" to shit or get off the pot. There will be no more concessions until you live up to your end of the bargain. Let them know that war will mean the utter destruction of their pisshole country and that along with the unfortunate innocent lives that would be lost, they should know that they will have had taken their last breaths. A simple choice that's up to them. It's time to stop playing this chicken shit game with this lunatic!

But...they already know what war will mean. The average Korean doesn't, but the generals do.

Right, I think if they didn't know that the cards were stacked against them they would've attacked by now.

post2.jpg

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'wanted a war'. Does anyone really ever want a war? Especially civilians? Anyway, I think this thread mostly reflects the general wave of panic that was going around at the time, the concern and worry that something serious would actually come out of N.K. this time. I for one am really relieved and happy to see there being peace talks held. I also think that most of the rhetoric seen from N.K.'s side is indicative of the end of that dictatorship in the near-ish future, not the beginning of the apocalypse. I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum really wanted to see a judgement day scenario developing out of this, rather that most people got a bit carried away with the panic and doomsday picture being painted in the media.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'wanted a war'. Does anyone really ever want a war?

I don't think 'want' so much as need. When it comes to survival, self preservation, you or them... fuck it you do what you need to do and sometimes... that's war.

War isn't so much about political ideologies or even religion, it is about resources. Rich countries fight wars to preserve them, poor ones to gain them.

Except N Korea made itself a poor country. There is no reason they could not be in the same shape as South Korea .. except for their piss poor leadership. Not saying that it does not mean that they want resources you are right there. But the best thing that could happen to N Korea might be a losing war and new leadership.

A N. Korean ship was stopped and detained by Panama going through the canal with missile parts from Cuba

MEXICO CITY—The Panamanian government has discovered what appears to be “sophisticated missile equipment” hidden in the hull of a North Korean container ship that had set sail from Cuba and was slated to head home via the Panama Canal, President Ricardo Martinelli said late Monday.
Martinelli divulged the details of the discovery to Panamanian media and in a pair of brief posts onhis Twitter account.
The Panamanian newspaper La Prensa reported that Panamanian officials had initially suspected that the ship, the Chong Chon Gang, was carrying drugs, and detained it in the port of Cristobal, on the Caribbean coast, near the Panama Canal entrance.
Late Monday, Martinelli tweeted a picture of what he called undeclared “war cargo” that he said was hidden under a shipment of sugar. La Prensa reported that the crew was mutinous, and that, according to Martinelli, the ship’s captain had attempted suicide.
If the shipment proves to be missiles or other arms, it would likely constitute a violation of United Nations sanctions against North Korea that prohibit the importation of conventional weapons and items that could be used to develop nuclear weapons and missiles.
The sanctions against the hermit-like communist country have been in place since 2006, and were strengthened by the U.N. Security Council in March after the North Koreans announced a nuclear test in Febraury.
The Spanish news agency EFE reported that a Korean military delegation headed by general Kim Kyok Sik had visited with top Cuban military officials in Havana in late June. The North Korean general said at the time that the two friendly countries shared “the same foxhole.”
As of Tuesday, neither the North Korean or Cuban governments had issued an official statement on the discovery.
President Martinelli, meanwhile, declared that his country’s canal was “for peace, not for war,” according to La Prensa.

Last night I watched a Channel 4 documentary called North Korea: Inside the Hidden State about the secret filming of daily life in North Korea by some people living there and the efforts to undermine the regime by smuggling in DVDs and USB sticks of films and television shows.

Kim Jong Un rules the world's most secret and repressive state. But thanks to the digital revolution, Kim can no longer keep the world from seeing the reality of life in North Korea - or stop his own people from discovering that everything they have been told about the outside world is a lie.

Dispatches films with Jiro Ishimaru, a fearless Japanese journalist who has risked his freedom for fifteen years, training undercover cameramen in North Korea. The programme follows Jiro's latest trip to the border with China, where he secretly meets one of his agents with the latest undercover footage revealing the reality of life in the secret state.

The programme also follows Mr Chung, a former inmate of a political prison camp who escaped to the West, as he smuggles USB sticks and DVDs of South Korean soap operas and entertainment shows into the North, posing as a mushroom farmer.

There are the first stirrings of open dissent: a woman running a bus service on the back of a lorry refuses to bribe a soldier, and more ominously for Kim Jong Un, there are mutterings of discontent and disrespect from an official commandeered to build a special railway to the supreme leader's birthplace.

You can watch it on 4oD: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od although it may be UK users only.

Back