The Next Album (expectations / desires)

Genghis Khan said:
But I think a song could be between 4:00 and 4:30 and still be "short" enough.

But not strong enough.

I don't want to come across as a pessimist but the last years learnt me that I shouldn't have too many fantasies either when it comes to Maiden.

Apart from one or two tracks, Maiden's strongest songs of the past decade were long songs.
Let Maiden prove me wrong. I'd love it, but I keep my hopes low.

Forostar said:
But not strong enough.

I don't want to come across as a pessimist but the last years learnt me that I shouldn't have too many fantasies either when it comes to Maiden.

Apart from one or two tracks, Maiden's strongest songs of the past decade were long songs.
Let Maiden prove me wrong. I'd love it, but I keep my hopes low.

Sad but true, Foro :)
However, BNW has shorter songs which are really hard rockers but at the same time have a progressive flare to them.

I know most people here will disagree but I rather like 'The Mercenary'. 

I'm sure I'll love the album even if it is another intro/long, many time changes/outro sort.

Genghis Khan said:
I know most people here will disagree but I rather like 'The Mercenary'. 

I'm sure I'll love the album even if it is another intro/long, many time changes/outro sort.

Disagree? No way! The Mercenary is a brilliant song!

I am hardly ever picky about my Iron Maiden. I love everything they do, except for maybe The Angel and the Gambler, so anything they throw into my welcoming hands (ears, that is) I am willing to embrace :)

The Angel and the Never-Ending Chorus is a vastly underrated song. Maybe pure metalheads won't get it, but this song is all about the groove. Not the riff, which is the usual focus.

It would be interesting to see another song like it, but obviously with less dead weight.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The Angel and the Never-Ending Chorus is a vastly underrated song. Maybe pure metalheads won't get it, but this song is all about the groove. Not the riff, which is the usual focus.

It would be interesting to see another song like it, but obviously with less dead weight.

I like TAATG myself. 

i have no problem at all with all those slow/quiet intros & outros which dominates most of Maiden's recent stuff but its real challenge to the band to put all the recent ingredients (3 guitar solos and slow intros/outros included) into 4 minutes song!!! .. there are many out-of-nowhere band have already came out with this style (4 minutes song but with slow intro/outros) but if Maiden did it, wowwww!!!

kwok fu seng said:
i have no problem at all with all those slow/quiet intros & outros which dominates most of Maiden's recent stuff but its real challenge to the band to put all the recent ingredients (3 guitar solos and slow intros/outros included) into 4 minutes song!!! .. there are many out-of-nowhere band have already came out with this style (4 minutes song but with slow intro/outros) but if Maiden did it, wowwww!!!

I'm ignorant of most newbie bands.  Fill me in, please!

for one of the band i meant in my post earlier, you may check out this URL www.myspace.com/kugirantorch, and maybe their frog-barking sludge metal isn't something really serious stuff to dig into and DISCHARGE-esque guitars & their grizzly bear vocals is mostly a lil' bit annoying for most of us Maidenfans here .. but seriously, one of their track "Syaitan's Servant", structure-wise .. is should be started by Maiden few decades ago!!! .. they did it in a relatively very short time but with a slow intro/outro!!!

kwok fu seng said:

Maiden's got 3 guitarists, maybe Dave could do a slow, melodic intro, Janick could some soloing and Adrian could play the wild finale, all at the same time, with Steve/Nicko could galloping along and Bruce shouting, "scream for me," every few seconds.

Speaking of Janick...

Janick said in an interview (the DVD on a Matter of Life and Death I think) that he wanted 'the Legacy' to have a symphonic feel, with no choruses etc. And I think he really likes that formula. Especially since the reunion with Bruce and Adrian.

Dance of Death and the Legacy have very similar structures. Dream of Mirrors is sort of the same, but more repetetive. Maybe we have a ''Gers epic'' tradition here? :innocent: I like them better than For the Greater Good of God atleas. I hope the next one will have a similar song!

Brave New World: Dream of Mirrors
Dance of Death: Dance of Death
A Matter of Life and Death: The Legacy

All great songs!

Did he write the lines "and I danced and I pranced" too?

Worst Maiden lyrics since "What you feeling when you hold me tight?
I'm gonna cuddle up with you tonight, gonna get you feeling so secure."

Actually, Steve wrote the actual words as far as I understand. Why don't you like them? Sure, everything sounds silly when you take it out of context...

And I was talking more about the structure that JANICK prefers, not Steves lyrics. Long acoustic intros, story telling atmosphere, exploding starts with the band, etc.

Back