The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Overall I think Infinity War has the better story, but I enjoyed Endgame a lot more on the first watch. Also, the running time breezed by, which I wouldn't have said for Infinity War despite it being twenty minutes shorter. I also found the ending of Endgame hit me harder than IW, particularly with Cap's story, must admit I got a bit choked at that part.

Side note: I would absolutely love to see a Ronin film, that sequence was badass but way too short.

Finally got to see Endgame and Captain Marvel, yes, unfortunately in that order, though I don't think watching them as released would have changed much.

I really enjoyed Endgame and weirdly enough it felt short. Could be because it hit the ground running, as though Infinity War was actually a 5 hour movie and they split it into a 2 and 3 hour movie respectively.

a few complaints. So much build up to captain Marvel to have her in the movie not even 5 minutes. Really? Black Widow has been in this since Thor and still doesn't have her own movie. This woman has 5 minutes of screen time, yet her backstory was pivotal? I feel like they could've done a Black Panther type thing. Introduce her in a main team-up movie and then give her her fleshed out movie. Speaking of Black Widow...

Why did Black Widow have to die? Because it was the easiest tear jerker for the franchise? One of the longest tenured members of the team, single, attractive, fan favorite female? So if we are being REALLY honest here her sacrifice wasn't much of a sacrifice at all. What was she leaving behind? She isn't romantically involved with ANY of the male members. Doesn't have a boy toy, much less a boyfriend or husband. No kids. So what, WHAT exactly is she leaving behind and why did SHE have to die? Sure Hawkeye cried a little, but he forgot about her real quick once he got his family back. Oh yeah! Why didn't HE die instead? fucking stupid.

Speaking of sacrifices, Iron Man dying was perfect. Goes back to what he is criticized about all along. Captain America tells him in the first Avengers movie that he isn't a team player and will never do the sacrifice play. Well, he did in that movie and again in this one. Unlike Black Widow, this death definitely had gravitas as we have seen him change throughout the saga. He began as a narcisistic, selfish playboy, but quietly became more private, reprioritized his life and was focused on having a future with his wife. He was giving up a lot.

Captain Marvel was very meh. 90's nostalgia not as cool as 80s nostalgia. Oh a Blockbuster! Who cares!? That's it really... just... meh. Pointless even (read above). It was entertaining, it did it's job, but to me, as a casual fan of comic books and this series it was just a very whatever movie.

Why did Black Widow have to die? Because it was the easiest tear jerker for the franchise? One of the longest tenured members of the team, single, attractive, fan favorite female? So if we are being REALLY honest here her sacrifice wasn't much of a sacrifice at all. What was she leaving behind? She isn't romantically involved with ANY of the male members. Doesn't have a boy toy, much less a boyfriend or husband. No kids. So what, WHAT exactly is she leaving behind and why did SHE have to die? Sure Hawkeye cried a little, but he forgot about her real quick once he got his family back. Oh yeah! Why didn't HE die instead? fucking stupid.

It wasn't her sacrifice, it was technically Clint's. Whoever wants the Soul Stone has to give up something they love, Natasha gave her life because, as you said, she has nothing to leave behind. Clint still has his family.

The bigger issue I have with that scene is how Clint was supposed to have sacrificed Natasha when she willingly threw herself off the cliff. Would Thanos have still gained the Stone if Gamora had just jumped? If not, Gamora could've thwarted Thanos' plan by killing herself instead of letting him kill her.

The bigger issue I have with that scene is how Clint was supposed to have sacrificed Natasha when she willingly threw herself off the cliff. Would Thanos have still gained the Stone if Gamora had just jumped? If not, Gamora could've thwarted Thanos' plan by killing herself instead of letting him kill her.
The emphasis was on loss, not the mechanism of the loss. At the time when Black Widow sacrificed herself, Clint lost literally the only person left in the world he cared for. Even though it was for a hope that Clint would get his family back, she was still all he had at that moment. The method of loss is irrelevant. Same with Gamora - if she had jumped, Thanos would still have mourned.

At Comicon in San Diego Marvel announced a bunch of new films for the post-Avengers era:

Natalie Portman will reprise her role as Jane Foster in Thor: Love and Thunder where Jane will wield Mjolnir. It seems like she's not done with Marvel after all!

There will be a standalone Black Widow film, but I'm not sure what I think of that as she was the most pointless Avenger. There will also be a movie for The Eternals, a Marvel thing I've never heard of, which will include Angelina Jolie. I reckon Marvel must have a lot of spare money for actor salaries now that Iron Man has been killed off.

There will be a standalone Black Widow film... I reckon Marvel must have a lot of spare money for actor salaries now that Iron Man has been killed off.

Black widow also died, that's what makes her movie so pointless, not her character on and of itself. An origin story at this point is stupid. They shoehorned captain marvel, but never had the time for a black widow story?

What I meant was after the mid-credits scene in Spider-man Far From Home (major cliffhanger), I would expect there has to be a follow up film. I was surprised none was announced.

What I meant was after the mid-credits scene in Spider-man Far From Home (major cliffhanger), I would expect there has to be a follow up film. I was surprised none was announced.

Yeah, but it's confirmed anyway, so I'd expect it to be announced within a year or so, along with Guardians of the Galaxy III.

Black widow also died, that's what makes her movie so pointless, not her character on and of itself. An origin story at this point is stupid. They shoehorned captain marvel, but never had the time for a black widow story?

We'll see, the character has some potential for The Winter Soldier type of a film. It'll be interesting to see if it's actually an origin story and pre-Avengers type of thing, or set during the five year gap within the story of Endgame (or possibly somewhere between Civil War and Infinity War).

Last edited:
I have no problem with a Black Widow movie. Looking forward to Thor: Love and Thunder an immense amount. Also really interested in Eternals, who are a really interesting group of heroes.

I'm not sure it's meant to be an origin story, I'm sure I read that it's set between Civil War and Infinity War. Not sure how much ground there is to cover in that time frame, but it's still one of the few films I'm really interested in from this new slate, Blade (finally!) and Doctor Strange being the others.

It doesn't have to be an origin story to be pointless. If it takes place between ANYTHING, before ANYTHING or after ANYTHING that's before ENDGAME, um... Why? I go back to Captain Marvel. They were careful to release Captain Marvel, a "new" hero before ENDGAME, when she could've gotten the same treatment as Black Panther and SpiderMan in Civil War. SpiderMan didn't need an introduction, but he was once again recast and Black Panther was new for folks who never picked up a comic book in their lives (me, for example) and he was inserted seemlessly.

Yet Black Widow was introduced in Iron Man II and has been involved since, being a pilot, assassin, Tony babysitter, Hulk-whisperer, Hawkeye Therapist and for two seconds Captain America love interest. And NOT ONCE did Marvel think, "Hey, Scarlett Johanson is sexy, popular, well above average actor who just owns this character. Let's give her her own movie!" NOPE. Not once. Now they're backpaddling before Johanson is too old for this shit. FUCK YOU Marvel.

But I'm not bitter....

You're on crack. A Black Widow movie has been rumoured for years. The problem was fitting it into the slate of movies with the aggressive timeline to tell the story before the conclusion of the Infinity Saga. That makes this the perfect spot to fit it in, especially since it likely will not touch on the Infinity War at all.

Back