The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

The character is dead. I don't care where it fits, it's going to the past no matter what. This isn't Star Wars. Marvel had a clear time line and continuity. Might as well keep making airon Man movies, or Captain America for that matter. Also, it's not Crack, it's electricity withdrawals. Hopefully get power back tomorrow.

The internet is understandably outraged but there are a few directions this could take.

On one hand, this is a great example of pure corporate stupidity. Disney came in with a pretty bullish (and honestly unreasonable) offer that Sony would've been crazy to accept. Instead of using the upper hand to their advantage and coming in with terms that most benefit them, Sony took their ball and went home. Venom and Spider-Verse showed that they don't need Disney to have box office successes, but history has shown that as Sony becomes more involved in the creative direction, the quality declines.

That being said, Spider Verse was a fantastic movie, possibly the best Spider-Man movie, and it had no involvement from Marvel. I didn't see Venom but most people seem happy with it and it was a box office success. So there is recent evidence that shows Sony can create great content when left to their own devices.

Of course Sony doesn't have the best track record. I can see it going one of two ways. Either typical Sony fucks everything up and Spider-Man goes back to flops, or they learned from their collaboration with Marvel and the relatively high quality of content continues. One major plus to being untethered from the MCU is that Spider-Man can go back to being a self contained thing and it doesn't have to work around MCU continuity or scheduling. Personally I am more invested in the Spider-Man stuff than the post-Endgame MCU so I'm not too bothered by it.

The MCU side of things is mostly cons though. It will really suck not seeing Spider-Man as part of that universe anymore. He was a good fit and he belongs with those characters. People are saying that it really screws over the MCU since Spider-Man was going to be the new face of the series, but I'm not sure if that's entirely true. Marvel must have known that Sony could flake out at any time and they would need a backup plan. Notice how no Spider-Man related movies or shows were announced at comic con, as there were still negotiations for this deal taking place. They were doing a good job at keeping Spider-Man involved in the universe, but not using him as a key character. I'm sure that was partially to prepare for this kind of situation. Furthermore, they have the X-Men now. The MCU will be fine.

Didn't know where exactly to post this, so I chose here since it is about Marvel characters and because we're allowed to talk about spoilers without tags.

X-Men. Finally watched Dark Phoenix which follows the First Class timeline. I really enjoyed it. I felt it was the X-Men 3 we should have gotten in the first place. However, because it does have to do with the First Class timeline I feel it leaves more questions than answers. For example. In Days of Future past, when Logan comes back everyone is back... EVERYONE. Cyclopse and Jean Grey are in Proffesor X's office... in the "present." As adults. BUT Dark Phoenix takes place BEFORE that and Jean just went super nova.... soooo.... She isn't dead? We see her flying as a fiery phoenix, but does she put a lid on that and come back as a person?

Also finally saw Spiderman far from home. Very meh. Like many movies now, especially in the Marvel universe, ends in a cliff-hanger which makes the current fallout between sony and disney that much more infuriating, but same with happened with Garfield's Amazing Spiderman and no one cared. I did... a little, but overall people were more excited over the character joining the MCU.

X-men Dark Phoenix I enjoyed (don't care about the bad reviews); was a good way to wrap up the characters from the prequel 1st Class series. To try to answer your continuity question; remember in between DOFP & DP is Apocalypse: FC in the 60s; DOFP 70s; Apocalypse 80s & DP 90s. The present timeline that Logan returned to was 21st century (he might have even created an alternative timeline separate from the 1 he knew). As far as Jean being dead, remember the last scene in DP in the sky over Eric & Charles is a Phoenix...

Complaint I have about DP is the alien angle; guess they were supposed to be Skrull/Shiar cross like? Could've done without the aliens...

X-men Dark Phoenix I enjoyed (don't care about the bad reviews); was a good way to wrap up the characters from the prequel 1st Class series. To try to answer your continuity question; remember in between DOFP & DP is Apocalypse: FC in the 60s; DOFP 70s; Apocalypse 80s & DP 90s. The present timeline that Logan returned to was 21st century (he might have even created an alternative timeline separate from the 1 he knew). As far as Jean being dead, remember the last scene in DP in the sky over Eric & Charles is a Phoenix...

Complaint I have about DP is the alien angle; guess they were supposed to be Skrull/Shiar cross like? Could've done without the aliens...
I'm aware of the movie time line in the 1st class series, which is why I was wondering how does it tie to the end of dofp. The fact we see that Phoenix 8n the sky... So she's not dead? Or as you said, Logan creates an alternate time line for his 21st century present.

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but Tom Holland's spidey is back in the mcu. Looks like cooler heads prevailed and a deal was reached between Sony and Disney.

Yeah, that really sucks. Poor guy.

They’ll have to recast the role — the character’s too important, especially with all the big players having just exited the stage. Those are going to be tough shoes to fill.

I think we'll get a new Black Panther.
Bringing this over to the Marvel thread.

There aren’t many good options in the comic mythology for this. It’d be too early to consider shoving Shuri into the role — her character has barely been established and they’re not going to have her jump in and headline a sequel to one of the biggest movies of all time.

If they choose not to recast, then maybe their best option would be to let Killmonger “get better“ and reclaim the role. Michael B. Jordan has star power and got rave reviews for his portrayal of N’Jadaka the first time around, and there’s credibility in his claiming the mantle from both the movie and the comics. But then they’d have to find a way to eliminate T’Challa that wouldn’t feel cheap, and a way to bring Killmonger back that wouldn’t feel cheap. I suppose Hulk could have accidentally resurrected him with his Endgame snap...?

But in the end I think they’ll just recast T’Challa. They did it with Rhodey and everyone accepted it — they just need to cast it well and have it not be too jarring.

So, I watched the first episode of What If...?, which was the Disney+ series I was most looking forward to and I was a little disappointed. The episode was fine, but really could've benefitted from being a little longer as it seemed to fly by without giving you much time to process things. Also, I have a few gripes with overall story...

So, Steve's about to go into the chamber to receive the serum, but nefarious HYDRA agent Richard Armitage (forgot/don't care what his name is) destroys the lab and tries to steal the serum... before he's seen that it works. Wasn't the point to steal the serum after seeing it was successful? Why steal a potentially defective sample? Anyway, he shoots Steve (how a scrawny, sickly man survives multiple gunshots without immediate treatment is also beyond me), then Peggy shoots him, and, in a laboratory that's burning to the ground and full of dead bodies, she demands to be put in the machine and receives the serum, then gets given a shield despite having not shown any preference for wielding one. Steve got given a shield by Howard because he fought with his old prop one, it felt pretty lazy just giving her one without justifying it. Anyway, rest of the episode was mostly fine, I appreciate that it wasn't just a straight retelling of The First Avenger with a different lead character, but I think an extended run time would've ironed out a few of these wrinkles. And the fun part of an anthology series is if you don't enjoy a particular episode then there's a completely new one next week anyway. I'm still pretty interested in the storylines I've heard are coming up.

Shang-Chi was pretty sweet. Great combat scenes, pretty good character development, and a nice sprinkle of humor without taking it too far. Nice to see it killing it at the box office (it apparently tripled(!) the previous Labor Day weekend record in the U.S., despite the pandemic).

I'm finding it difficult to get hyped for post Endgame movies. Like.... what's the point now? Is there even one? Is it just movies and shows for the sake of movies and shows like the good ol' days?

I'm finding it difficult to get hyped for post Endgame movies. Like.... what's the point now? Is there even one? Is it just movies and shows for the sake of movies and shows like the good ol' days?
It's difficult because it's very much a transition period that's being accentuated by COVID. Spiderman 2 was fine, but after we've had a prequel that never should have been a prequel (because it robs it of any stakes) and a mixed bag of loosely connected TV shows (WandaVision and FATWS were good, Loki was bad).

Once the Marvel machine is fully back to speed we will get a better idea.

Speaking of Spiderman, I'm still waiting for "Spiderman: Home Alone." Also, they're the only movies am truly looking forward to at the moment

Marvel feels like it's back at square one in a way, introducing new characters that most won't be familiar with and setting up a new over-arcing story. My interest in the MCU was waning a little around Infinity War/Endgame anyway, but I'm still curious to see where things end up next.

What If...?
has gotten much stronger, episode 3 (What If The Earth Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?) was the best so far and this week's is introducing Marvel Zombies which should hopefully be a good shot of something a bit darker in the MCU.

Back