The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

The scene near the end where we see CM flying through space blasting the ships makes her look too powerful. .

My understanding, from what my nerdy friends have told me, she's supposed to be one of if not the most powerful marvel character in the current MEU.

Aw, a cat.

Well, it's much better than the first trailer at least but I'm still not wowed by it. Maybe this is a good thing, with my expectations so low I'll probably end up enjoying the film a lot more.

I won't lie, I love that shot of her mask coming off and her mohawk dropping.

As well played as the MCEU was, at this point there is obvious fatigue by creators and audience alike. A friend complained that there isn't a single memorable soundtrack or music theme a lá Star Wars, Jaws, Tim Burton's Batman, James Bond, etc. Directors quitting due to creative differences like Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright, because Marvel wants to make a very specific movie. The memorable songs are pop songs, old and new alike, the humor predictable at this point and storylines with no real WOW factor.

In short, low expectations are to be expected.

A friend complained that there isn't a single memorable soundtrack or music theme a lá Star Wars, Jaws, Tim Burton's Batman, James Bond, etc.

There's a great video on YouTube about that, by this channel Every Frame A Painting. Worth a watch if you get some time.

In short, low expectations are to be expected.

Marvel has had some genuinely great (though I still wouldn't say flawless) films, I guess I'm just hopeful that the next film will join those.

There's a great video on YouTube about that, by this channel Every Frame A Painting. Worth a watch if you get some time.

Marvel has had some genuinely great (though I still wouldn't say flawless) films, I guess I'm just hopeful that the next film will join those.

Yup, that's the video he sent me.

My personal favorites are the first Iron Man, Every Captain America installment, The first Avengers and to much lesser extent the first Ant Man. Aside from that they range from Good to Meh. I put Ant-Man under Very Good, because it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit.

Yup, love Cap. Thought the first two were fantastic, Winter Soldier is my favourite of all the MCU films. Civil War was good, but too convoluted with the plot. I also really enjoyed Ant Man, like you I thought it was far better than expected, though I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Edgar Wright's vision.

I don't love Avengers though... I think the only thing it had going for it was seeing all these characters come together, but now they pop up in each other's films all the time that lost its appeal.

Last edited:
That's why I only enjoy the first Avengers the most. Seeing them team up like that for the first time was incredible and Whedon did a great job. After that.... all the cross-overs and less than stellar Avengers installments have lost their appeal to me as well.

Let's put it this way, even my MOM enjoyed the first Avengers movie and she HATES sci-fi/hollywood action ¨crap¨ as she calls it lol

Just read that apparently Marvel were the ones who canceled Daredevil. If true, this seems to confirm he's returning to the Disney streaming thing.

Were you not keen on Infinity War?

Nope and for a very simple reason. Marvel's incredibly stupid decision to release their release calendar. Why should I care half these people die if their individual sequels have already been announced? Had Marvel kept their mouth shut about what movie is being released when, Infinity War would have been a very powerful movie, specially with Spider-Man. Instead I my reaction was, "Meh, I'll see him again in 2019."

Nope and for a very simple reason. Marvel's incredibly stupid decision to release their release calendar. Why should I care half these people die if their individual sequels have already been announced? Had Marvel kept their mouth shut about what movie is being released when, Infinity War would have been a very powerful movie, specially with Spider-Man. Instead I my reaction was, "Meh, I'll see him again in 2019."

I get where you're coming from, but I think even if Marvel hadn't announced their next slate of films I would just have assumed most of those characters would be returning somehow. I mean...

Spider Man and Black Panther haven't been in the MCU very long and have already proven massively popular

... so no way would they be permanently gone.

I don't love Avengers though... I think the only thing it had going for it was seeing all these characters come together, but now they pop up in each other's films all the time that lost its appeal.

I can see where you're coming from, but personally, I feel that differently; I think the characters popping up in each other's films has become pretty natural and usually rather well executed and used part of the films as the universe has grown and it has been very enjoyable for me at least, The Winter Soldier and Ragnarök being one of the best examples. :) Then again, part of the impact, as Russos themselves stated, is the satisfaction of seeing a bunch of certain characters getting together for the first time, which we haven't really seen (before Infinity War) since the first Avengers.

Anyway, I think that the clever use of "visiting" characters and incorporating their own story arcs (like they did with Hulk in Ragnarök) to other heroes' movies might be one of the biggest assets of the future MCU films, since it gives quite lot of chances for variation and a lot different story options and other stuff to keep things relatively fresh.

HOLY SHIT

That's a trailer done right! Not too much spoiling, but it builds tension and feeds the overall hype and theorizing. I hope they won't release too much stuff in the upcoming ones either, as eager as I am to know everything... :D But maybe that's indeed why they souldn't...

I think the characters popping up in each other's films has become pretty natural and usually rather well executed and used part of the films as the universe has grown and it has been very enjoyable...

Oh definitely, I just meant that I found most of the story and action in the Avengers to be a little dull, but as it was the first time we saw these characters come together I could forgive its other faults. Now that crossovers are becoming more common, that isn't really enough to raise my opinion of it anymore.

Ant Man! Hawkeye/Ronin! Get in!

I got the Infinity War Blu Ray for Christmas, watched it last night for the first time since I saw it in the cinema in April. Seeing it after all the hype has worn off has changed my view slightly, but don't think I didn't like the film, because I did. Very much. It's just that I noticed more of its flaws on this viewing:
  • Bruce Banner is actually really annoying. "You a-holes are screwed now!", "Oh, you big green douche!" Christ, just shut up. But I did like his "There's an Ant Man and a Spider Man?" line.
  • Cap was in it more than I remember, but still not enough. Hopefully Endgame rectifies that. Less Tony please, it's not Iron Man: Endgame and he was in IW a lot.
  • Black Widow's position as an Avenger makes even less sense than Hawkeye's. Her surviving the battle in Wakanda (or any major battle, really) is nothing short of a miracle.
  • Thanos is genuinely brilliant and a rare example of a Marvel "villain-that-we're-supposed-to-emote-with" done right. Not that he's got much competition, but he's gotta be the best villain.
  • I'm not sure why I liked Ebony Maw so much the first time around. Maybe because he was the only member of the Black Order who actually did anything memorable, although saying that, I was slightly lost when Thanos asked if "The Maw was dead", forgot who he was talking about. Shame, the Maw had good potential.
  • I get the sense Marvel have no idea how to use Scarlet Witch. She's horribly wasted, again. Thinking about it, she should've taken Thor's place as "superpowered badass that turns the tide of the battle", I mean why are Marvel trying to push Captain Marvel when they've got Scarlet Witch? I find SW being the "most powerful MCU character ever" far more believable than Captain Marvel.
  • Thor's quest for Stormbreaker didn't make a lot of sense, didn't he learn to use his powers without a weapon in Raganrok? He didn't even try and fight Thanos with his lightning, how did he know he needed a weapon? Unless he just needed Stormbreaker for it's Bifrost abilities, in which case, disregard this point.
  • I think James Gunn is much better at writing the Guardians than the Russo Bro's, very little of their humour worked for me. Drax's "Invisible" moment was stupid and ruined quite a poignant moment.

I get the sense Marvel have no idea how to use Scarlet Witch. She's horribly wasted, again. Thinking about it, she should've taken Thor's place as "superpowered badass that turns the tide of the battle",
She kinda did turn the tide by turning those wheels around, and she wasn't around because she was guarding Vision.

I think James Gunn is much better at writing the Guardians than the Russo Bro's, very little of their humour worked for me. Drax's "Invisible" moment was stupid and ruined quite a poignant moment.
This is funny because Gunn wrote all the dialogue for the Guardians in Infinity War.

Back