The Man Who Would Be King

How good is The Man Who Would Be King on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Man Who Would Be King

Music is fine, I just don't like the lyrics. They seem very sloppy to me. 4/10.

In the best Maiden epics, the music paints a picture that perfectly matches the lyrics. This song’s failure is its inability to do that. It’s a disjointed song, with a lot of interesting parts and story that never really comes together. Musically, its more typically Maiden than the other TFF epics and after repeated listenings, I quite like it. It’s a good track that lacks that something special. And it probably gets a little lost as the fourth of five consecutive epics. Eight.

It's the weakes of the epics on this album, but still a really good song.  I give it an 8.

I'm really, really, really trying to like this song. I don't feel it plods, I don't feel it's boring. The instrumentals are great, it's well paced and has a good tension. Everything seems to be right with it. Still, it just seems to lack that certain something. I can't place it. 8/10.

mckindog said:
It’s a disjointed song, with a lot of interesting parts and story that never really comes together. It’s a good track that lacks that something special.
This. 8/10.

6/10 this is my least favorite song on the album.  It more than any other song on TFF feels like parts thrown together to make a whole as opposed to a clear well done song.  And the lyrics/vocals could have saved the music but it just can't.  It's not bad, but certainly not that great either.

It's a shame that we can't hear Dave's fantastic solo well. Damn mix ! It's one of the best Maiden solos of all time if you ask me.

The Flash said:
It's a shame that we can't hear Dave's fantastic solo well. Damn mix ! It's one of the best Maiden solos of all time if you ask me.
I raised the mix and played it forward and it really isn't that great.

Audacity. Somehow I got the solo to sound louder. If I can figure out how I did I'll post it here if you want.

Is there a way to make drums sound "clearer"? I want to do that to some Helloween songs (from 7 Sinners album, to be precise).

Mosh said:
I raised the mix and played it forward and it really isn't that great.

Maybe the solo is great just because of its harmony to the song that way. A great solo doesn't need to cover all the other elements of the song. If it has a special touch, we can feel it anyway.

But it doesn't have that. It just sounds like Dave noodling on the guitar.

Back